Handgun life expectency - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun life expectency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2011, 01:53 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
First of all, don't ever tell me what expirience I do and don't have. I've probably had more guns in my hands now then you ever will. Second, on the Hi-Point matter, agree to disagree. You have made it blatantly obvious that you love those sh!tty handguns, so good for you. I was just trying to make a point more or less..
Settle down... he only said you must not have much experience with Hi-Points. No reason to bite his head off.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:48 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3085 Times on 1546 Posts
Likes Given: 380

The key part of your question it the "properly maintained" part is the key.
The typical recreational shooter probably won't wear out a decent quality gun, if they take care of it. Highly tuned competition guns that are shot thousands of times a month are a separate category.
Proper cleaning & lubrication is a start.
Semi-autos need springs replaced at intervals determined by their manufacturer.
Revolvers have a number of small parts that need to work together properly. These parts do wear out and need replacing on occasion.
Keep up with the needs of you guns and they will very likely be shot by your grandchildren.

NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?

Old 12-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

By far the biggest factor determining the longevity of a Glock vs Ruger vs Sig is going to boil down to the quality of one owner's care vs the next. These pistols are built to last. Unless you're actually neglecting them, durability would never enter my mind in choosing one over another...because they're all quite durable. They'll all expel their M$RP in ammunition, many many times over.

On Hi-Point- I think they offer a lot of gun for $150, just as Walmart offers a lot of mountain bike for $150. If you wanna leisurely putter around the pavement every now and then, those Wally World Wheels will treat you right. If you're gonna head 10miles up a single track without a soul or cell signal to CYA, you probably oughta go the $500+ route...Wally World warranty or not.

In a pinch I'd trust a Hi-Point. It's light years better than any other brand new, similarly priced centerfire pistol on the market. But I'd also always choose to get into that $300-500 price point, where the quality (and appearance) takes a giant leap forward.

Old 12-15-2011, 03:52 AM   #24

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

I've read stories of the lowly Bersa reaching 40K+ rounds & still going, so price doesn't always mean short life. I read of gamers having 100K+ through their pistols, so who knows what the life expectancy of any pistol is. Proper maintenance is the key, as with any machine.

Old 12-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dks7895 View Post
Settle down... he only said you must not have much experience with Hi-Points. No reason to bite his head off.

Old 12-15-2011, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
I've read stories of the lowly Bersa reaching 40K+ rounds & still going, so price doesn't always mean short life. I read of gamers having 100K+ through their pistols, so who knows what the life expectancy of any pistol is. Proper maintenance is the key, as with any machine.
Glock barrels are treated with Tennifer, which is much better than chrome-lining for longevity of the barrel bore and the barrel itself. I doubt the hi point barrels are even chrome lined. Glock barrels also have polygonal rifling, which among many things, improves the wear characteristics of the bore. Yes indeed, glock barrels are superior to hi point barrels in terms of longevity, among other things, bigtime, no matter how well you maintain them (or neglect them).

It's no secret that hi point also takes shortcuts with their material selection, such as using high zinc content in many parts, which cuts costs but weakens the parts significantly. Although they may only do this on some of the parts that take less abuse, all parts of the pistol are going to absorb some of the recoil shock. I wouldn't trust their materials, machining or treatments.

The only benefit hi point has going for them is their lifetime warranty. But if I sold thousands of worthless guns at extremely overinflated prices, I could afford to have a 100% no questions asked warranty, too.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:23 PM   #27

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic View Post
The only benefit hi point has going for them is their lifetime warranty. But if I sold thousands of worthless guns at extremely overinflated prices, I could afford to have a 100% no questions asked warranty, too.
Agreed. Careful though, you might hurt someone's feelings..

Old 12-15-2011, 07:51 PM   #28

Liked 9206 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I don't know if I would call it extremely over inflated. They go BANG for less than $200.

More than what it costs to make? Sure, that's how you make profit, and give a warranty like that.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #29

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

In regard to over inflated pricing, if the truth were told, we'd probably find that all manufacturers have a pretty healthy mark-up which helps them cover the cost of warranty work. Just stands to reason that if they don't make a profit, they don't stay in business very long.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:36 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406

One thing is clear to me, you don't have much experience with Hi-Point. I have personally seen them shoot over 5K rounds on multiple occasions without a hiccup and they have a no questions asked warranty that will cover anything including sprint replacement for free if and when its needed. They might be the ugliest, heaviest, and cheapest, but by far are highly dependable, and have absolutely the best warranty anyone can offer regardless if you are the 1st or 20th owner of the gun.
I've never experienced a dependable hi point. I've owned 2 and shot 3. My buddy also had bad luck with his. I'm just sayin.