Handgun life expectency - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun life expectency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsmaster270 View Post
Also depends on if it is Semi-Auto or Revolver Revolver normally doesn't need the spring replace.
Ah! I missed that one. Good point. I guess that's why you're the armsmaster. lol

Old 12-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #12

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Your Sigs and Rugers will belong to your grandchildren someday, let them worry about it.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:30 PM   #13
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6659 Times on 3543 Posts
Likes Given: 498

I personaly dont buy into the glock koolaid myth of reliability or durability. Seen too many glock users at the range with broken parts and ftf/fte problems.

I personally rank glock down in the kahr/keltec range of quality, durability, accuracy.

Maintenance has far more to do with longevity than who made the gun. Changing out springs and small internal parts especially frequent recoil spring changes greatly extends the gun life.

I tend to change my recoil springs inbetween the 1500-2000 round range. A recoil spring that isnt changed increases frame battering leading to frame/barrel lug issues.

The barrel on my ithaca 1944ish 1911a1 is nearly a smoothbore with little rifling left. It still stacks the rounds in the same hole.

Frequent inspections looking for cracks and severe wear will do more than worrying about who made it. Top brands tend to last cheapies tend to not.

Anyway a good quality gun will outlast the average person with proper maintenance and cleaning.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-13-2011, 07:08 AM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
I personaly dont buy into the glock koolaid myth of reliability or durability. Seen too many glock users at the range with broken parts and ftf/fte problems.

I personally rank glock down in the kahr/keltec range of quality, durability, accuracy.

Maintenance has far more to do with longevity than who made the gun. Changing out springs and small internal parts especially frequent recoil spring changes greatly extends the gun life.

I tend to change my recoil springs inbetween the 1500-2000 round range. A recoil spring that isnt changed increases frame battering leading to frame/barrel lug issues.

The barrel on my ithaca 1944ish 1911a1 is nearly a smoothbore with little rifling left. It still stacks the rounds in the same hole.

Frequent inspections looking for cracks and severe wear will do more than worrying about who made it. Top brands tend to last cheapies tend to not.

Anyway a good quality gun will outlast the average person with proper maintenance and cleaning.
Have you ever owned s Glock? If so, ever shot 5000-7500 rounds through it?

I have. I'm a certified Glock Armorer and I've owned multiple Glocks along with Sigs, Rugers, Kimbers, Colts, and yes, even ONE Hi-Point.

I put 8177 rounds through my first Glock, a Glock 21 before i replaced the barrel. Of course, I experimented with over 15 different hand reloads with it.
Similarly, I put over 10K through my Kimber. Replaced that barrel at exactly 11,227 rounds.

I put 1,155 rounds through that Hi-Point when the barrel failed. I melted it and it's literally a paper weight for my junk mail now. It's rather easy to have the warrant they have. They sell LOTS of their pistols because of their price. Because they sell so many, they are also willing to replace stuff easily. Their good quality isn't proven by their warranty. Wouldn't YOU replace your cheap (cheap quality, price, and components) if you were able to sell LOTS based upon those factors? It's business. Simple business. Their main selling points are their price and warranty. NOT quality.

Like has been stated already: It all depends on the shooter, what it's shooting through it, and the care of the weapon.

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-13-2011, 07:18 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
One thing is clear to me, you don't have much experience with Hi-Point. I have personally seen them shoot over 5K rounds on multiple occasions without a hiccup and they have a no questions asked warranty that will cover anything including sprint replacement for free if and when its needed. They might be the ugliest, heaviest, and cheapest, but by far are highly dependable, and have absolutely the best warranty anyone can offer regardless if you are the 1st or 20th owner of the gun.
Only 5k? This guy buried his glock in the sand, dirt, salt, bead blasting material, baby powder, paste, dropped it out of a plane, drug it behind his car, ran it over, soaked it in salt water multiple times, and it still fired through 15k rounds and continues firing today.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Any gun can continue shooting indefinitely provided the slide rails are in tact. All other parts are replaceable. I can imagine the barrel is going to be the first part to be replaced, followed probably by the firing pin and slide recoil spring. All of these parts are easily replaced. If the slide rails ever go bad, I'm sure a good gunsmith could get it going again. So unless your gun literally explodes, it should be ready to roll. Especially if it's a glock.

I've seen some glocks that have exploded. In glock's defense, ANY gun can explode. I'm sure most of these cases were caused by the user over-oiling the barrel and not wiping it dry. Some shooters I've known actually soaked the insides of their barrels with oil during cleaning and didn't run a patch through it afterwards. That's a recipe for turning your gun into a grenade. Oil, water, anything in the barrel and it will blow up.

Last edited by triggernomic; 12-13-2011 at 07:21 AM.

Old 12-13-2011, 07:21 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggernomic

Only 5k? This guy buried his glock in the sand, dirt, salt, bead blasting material, baby powder, paste, dropped it out of a plane, drug it behind his car, ran it over, soaked it in salt water multiple times, and it still fired through 15k rounds and continues firing today.

Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Any gun can continue shooting indefinitely provided the slide rails are in tact. All other parts are replaceable. I can imagine the barrel is going to be the first part to be replaced, followed probably by the firing pin and slide recoil spring. All of these parts are easily replaced. If the slide rails ever go bad, I'm sure a good gunsmith could get it going again. So unless your gun literally explodes, it should be ready to roll. Especially if it's a glock.
Agreed! ;D

"Sua Sponte"

The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. General George Patton

Old 12-13-2011, 07:35 AM   #17

It reminds me of when I bought my first glock. I was at the gun store. I really needed the extra money because I'm on a tight budget, so you better believe I was eyeballing that hi point for $120. But I felt like that Toshiba guy, "We're all ready to ship if we don't include wifi." "No! Put wifi in the TVs." I had no problems dropping $560 on that glock because I knew it was a hell of a gun.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:48 PM   #18

Liked 54 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will use my 1858 remmy reproduction black powder pistol for self defense before I consider a highpoint pistol. A friend of mine bought a high point and it was nothing but problems.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:03 AM   #19

I agree. I always wanted a Colt Navy repro

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 PM   #20

Liked 117 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have no idea how many rounds have gone thru my S&W 5906 - - - - I do try to clean after every shooting and try to keep things in good order.

If you don't mind the extra weight of SS it is hard to beat!

I have 23 S&W handguns ( out of 47 total handguns ) in my arsenal and while I have favorates I feel any will outlast my grand children.

Buy the best you can afford at the moment and take care of whatever you have!