Handgun life expectency
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun life expectency

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2011, 03:01 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default Handgun life expectency

Typically, if a handgun is maintained properly, how many rounds should a handgun be able to fire before parts would need to be replaced? 5000 / 10000 / 20000? Do price & durability go hand in hand....generally speaking? Hear things about Glock durability & crazy high round counts & made me wonder how durable my Rugers & Sigs are.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2011, 03:38 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 216 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 64

Lets make my opinion as shortest as possible. "Glock is the Best" IMO

Old 12-12-2011, 04:08 AM   #3

Liked 226 Times on 141 Posts

If anybody tells you your sigs are inferior to glocks they don't know what they're talking about or are glock fanboys,or as I like to call them "glocksuckers". There's nothing wrong with a little genuine Swiss. Before anybody thinks I'm hating on glock I'm really not I've Just ran into a few to many ignorant people who swore their glock was the end all be all of handguns and that my inferior handguns filled no roll their precious glock couldn't. That said I'd love a g19 if I don't end up with walther ppq.

You have to understand that for everything you get in a gun you give up something else,in the glock you gain rugged durability and simplicity but you give up features and (to most people) aesthetics.No gun is perfect for any one person,but if you value reliability over all then glock may be for you. As for me,ill keep my SA/DA hammer-fired 15+1 .45,with its decocker and actual safety,I feel it gives me something a glock doesn't,but that's just me.

Old 12-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #4

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonscottkelly View Post
Typically, if a handgun is maintained properly, how many rounds should a handgun be able to fire before parts would need to be replaced? 5000 / 10000 / 20000? Do price & durability go hand in hand....generally speaking? Hear things about Glock durability & crazy high round counts & made me wonder how durable my Rugers & Sigs are.
Any machine subjected to heat and stress will have parts wear out or break from fatigue, handguns are no exception. Generally speaking the better you maintain them, the longer they will last. Typically a replacement of all the springs and possibly the extractor every 5,000-10,000 rounds are all that is required to refurbish back to a near factory condition. Frames and barrels are good for 20,000+ rounds depending on the quality of the steel, ammo used and the type of rifling.

Rugers and Sigs are the workhorses of the gun world, I wouldn't lose any sleep worrying about their durability.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about your pieces versus a Glock. Ya Glocks are great an all, but they lack that... WOW.. I guess. I've seen handguns go 10,000 rounds without a single hickup, and then again I have seen some crap out after 500. It really depends on the make, model, service, maintnence, ammo used and features of each individual handgun. A Hi-Point may poop out after a few hundred as a custom 1911 may last 12 or 13 thousand. It really varies so much.

Long story short. Your sigs and ruger will do just fine for a good amount of time. And like the previous posts, a spring or two might be the only thing you need to throw another 10k through it.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:07 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Also depends on if it is Semi-Auto or Revolver Revolver normally doesn't need the spring replace.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey View Post
Yeah I wouldn't worry too much about your pieces versus a Glock. Ya Glocks are great an all, but they lack that... WOW.. I guess. I've seen handguns go 10,000 rounds without a single hickup, and then again I have seen some crap out after 500. It really depends on the make, model, service, maintnence, ammo used and features of each individual handgun. A Hi-Point may poop out after a few hundred as a custom 1911 may last 12 or 13 thousand. It really varies so much.

Long story short. Your sigs and ruger will do just fine for a good amount of time. And like the previous posts, a spring or two might be the only thing you need to throw another 10k through it.
One thing is clear to me, you don't have much experience with Hi-Point. I have personally seen them shoot over 5K rounds on multiple occasions without a hiccup and they have a no questions asked warranty that will cover anything including sprint replacement for free if and when its needed. They might be the ugliest, heaviest, and cheapest, but by far are highly dependable, and have absolutely the best warranty anyone can offer regardless if you are the 1st or 20th owner of the gun.
Smith & Wesson 30-1
Taurus Model 85
EAA Windicator
Mossberg 500
Winchester 1400 MK II
Marlin 60
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger Target 22/45 MKIII
DPMS Oracle AR-15

Previous Firearms:
Hi-Point JHP
Sccy CPX-2
Ruger LCP
Taurus PT-25
Cobra FS380CB
Cobra CA380BB
Glock 22

Old 12-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2869 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1235

As with any other product, life expectancy is considered when a firearm is designed and built.
Most 1911a1's from WWII were rebuilt because they were considered passed their life expectancy.
Some of the military Berettas are being rebuilt.
Police change out firearms for the same reason (even if carried a lot, shot a little).

Exact time length cannot be given. A competition shooter may wear out a firearm in 1 year, a casual shooter may never wear out a firearm.
I have a Springer I bought new in the 80's and have rebuilt it at least twice.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 12-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

Not a Glock basher, they just don't fit me well and I prefer metal over plastic. JMHO.

If you are worried about Sig, don't. Check and see what many of our Special Ops units carry....you will find Sig. If its reliable enough for those guys, it works for me.

I have owned the P245 and currently have a P239 & P226. I put 2k to 3k rounds through the P245, never a hiccup. I have over 2k rounds through the 239, same story. The 226 I have had for just under a year and have @1500 rounds through it. Properly maintained, you shouldn't see much wear. I plan on replacing springs aroung 5k rounds just because it seems like the thing to do.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:52 PM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
One thing is clear to me, you don't have much experience with Hi-Point. I have personally seen them shoot over 5K rounds on multiple occasions without a hiccup and they have a no questions asked warranty that will cover anything including sprint replacement for free if and when its needed. They might be the ugliest, heaviest, and cheapest, but by far are highly dependable, and have absolutely the best warranty anyone can offer regardless if you are the 1st or 20th owner of the gun.
First of all, don't ever tell me what expirience I do and don't have. I've probably had more guns in my hands now then you ever will. Second, on the Hi-Point matter, agree to disagree. You have made it blatantly obvious that you love those sh!tty handguns, so good for you. I was just trying to make a point more or less..