Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Handgun Laser accuracy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/handgun-laser-accuracy-21137/)

indyfan 12-15-2009 06:05 AM

Handgun Laser accuracy

I was contemplating getting a rail and laser for my 92FS

Before I did, I was wondering

how accurate are handgun lasers? and can they be adjusted for accuracy?

NGIB 12-15-2009 08:46 AM

A laser in and of itself discharges a perfectly straight beam of light so if you have it zeroed - it will put the dot on the spot. Yes, they have adjustments to zero. Much depends on the quality of the laser and mounting system.

A cheap Ebay laser for $20 will not perform like a Streamlight or other quality built product. One thing to note - a laser won't make you a better shot as you have to do your part just as you would with open sights. A laser will really show you when dry firing any bad habits you may have...

john_bud 12-20-2009 03:28 PM

lasers are very accurate.

The mounts are where the money is earned. A cheap system is not going to hold zero, but a quality one will.

gorknoids 12-21-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGIB (Post 199692)
A laser in and of itself discharges a perfectly straight beam of light so if you have it zeroed - it will put the dot on the spot. Yes, they have adjustments to zero. Much depends on the quality of the laser and mounting system.

A cheap Ebay laser for $20 will not perform like a Streamlight or other quality built product. One thing to note - a laser won't make you a better shot as you have to do your part just as you would with open sights. A laser will really show you when dry firing any bad habits you may have...

Saw that proven at the range yesterday. A red dot wavering in a 3" circle on the target, and then squirreling all over the place on the shot.

treehugger49 12-31-2009 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gorknoids (Post 202451)
Saw that proven at the range yesterday. A red dot wavering in a 3" circle on the target, and then squirreling all over the place on the shot.

That would be me, trying to shoot my wife's Ruger LCP w/ Crimson Trace lasergrips:)..not so concerned with pinpoint accuracy as the ability to get on target when you're unable to assume a normal shooting grip/stance in relatively close quarters.

CHLChris 12-31-2009 09:12 PM

Lasers, IMO are best for two purposes:

-helping one to observe poor trigger technique (that shaky dot thing)
-"aiming" when in a tricky position (around a corner, from the waist, etc,)

However, a laser sight must be zeroed-in at a chosen distance. Most lasers are offset from the barrel by at least an inch, sometimes more. One can either aim the laser to be parallel to the line of the barrel (thus an inch or two offset at any point downrange), or one can aim the laser to intersect the barrel line at some specific distance (probably 3-10 yards is a good choice).

Did this geometry lesson make sense? I hope.

One suggestion I have been given, though, is to always train by using the iron sights, trying to stay focused on the front sight and NOT the laser point.

lonyaeger 12-31-2009 10:28 PM

Good stuff there, Chris. I have mine sighted in at seven yards.