handgun knowledge
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > handgun knowledge

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default handgun knowledge

just finished my concealed handgun class. there was a lady who brought her own pistol to shot. It was a FNH and the instructor was very interested in the 223 rounds that were in the clip. can anyone tell me what kind of gun it was?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 02:57 AM   #2

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttz
just finished my concealed handgun class. there was a lady who brought her own pistol to shot. It was a FNH and the instructor was very interested in the 223 rounds that were in the clip. can anyone tell me what kind of gun it was?
I don't know but it must have been a big mag to hold 223 rounds...lol.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:39 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8945 Times on 3871 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Hi Nuttz! Welcome to the forum- when you get a minute, drop by the intro thread, and tell us a bit about yourself.

You MAY have encountered an FN Five-seveN. If so, is not .223, but close. Did it look like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FN_Five-seven

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #4

Thanks c3shooter that is exactly what i saw. I knew you guys could figure this out. You rock!!! 1 more question for you, is this a good choice for my wife for her first handgun?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:39 PM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

$1000 gun min. Secret services current issue gun. You might want to go smaller for her first.

Sent from a Droid...but not the Droid you are looking for. Move along.

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Old 02-19-2012, 08:44 PM   #6

O.k. So maybe something a little cheaper. What do you guys think would be a good first pistol?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:48 PM   #7

The round is a 5.7mm, I personally wouldn't get one for carry, or primary home defense. They are low recoil, high cap, and an Absolute blast to shoot. But they are very expensive. Hope this helps.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttz
O.k. So maybe something a little cheaper. What do you guys think would be a good first pistol?
To learn, I would get her a walther p22. Gun is reasonably priced, shoot all day for cheap, plus you can get it in all kinds of cool colors (girls love that stuff).

Old 02-19-2012, 08:53 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2871 Times on 1429 Posts
Likes Given: 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuttz View Post
Thanks c3shooter that is exactly what i saw. I knew you guys could figure this out. You rock!!! 1 more question for you, is this a good choice for my wife for her first handgun?
It's a large gun, which might not be ideal for concealing unless there is a fairly good sized purse in mind.... Good for a range gun, though. Much depends on the intended use. Lot of shots with little recoil. Fairly effective, but not overly so.
It's fairly expensive, the ones I see are around $1100+. The ammo is not exactly cheap and it's not the sort of stuff you're likely to find at wal-mart. And ammo choices are somewhat limited, last I looked.

It wouldn't my choice as a first pistol, but I suppose there are worse choices. Ideally, you might wish to start her out with .22 LR pistol of some sort. I have a Ruger MK3 that my wife really enjoys shooting. Accurate, cheap to buy and feed. Great to learn on. The Browning Buckmark is similar in concept and a worthy choice as well.
From there I'd move to a more conventional cartridge, 9mm, 38 special & so forth.
YMMV.
NRA Life Member

"We've replaced what was an exceptional country with a tolerant country. " Greg Gutfeld

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 PM   #10

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

If you are looking for a little more stopping power in lady hand size, I say go for the Ruger LC series. They have .380 or 9mm depending on recoil tolerance.

Sent from a Droid...but not the Droid you are looking for. Move along.

Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!