Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

this is good more input for one of the guns i listed, if i havent listed a gun there i either have (had) it or just don't care, based on your experience how was the recoil vs. how many rounds you got down range, were you able to pound them down or was it there a slightly longer pause because of the shorter barrel and the recoil

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

You cant go to war against the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly...

Old 01-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #22

well an update for the wife after showing her the FN P40 and the XD sub compact side by side she wants the FN P40 first then later on the XD sc .40.

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

Old 01-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Well, at least she didn't want a Kahr; they are beautiful but most models are spendy.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:07 PM   #24

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheBunny View Post
well an update for the wife after showing her the FN P40 and the XD sub compact side by side she wants the FN P40 first then later on the XD sc .40.
What did she like, the way they shot, felt and/or looked?

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-27-2011, 11:52 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Good decision to keep her away from the Les Baers, Nighthawks, and Wilson Combats. I don't even want to touch one of those things until I can afford one.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:01 AM   #26

yeah i know what you mean, i wouldn't go near those guns without a fat enough wallet, she likes the feel, plus the fact that she can change the back straps so that i can shoot it comfortably, also it was the look and the fact that her country designed it

Old 01-29-2011, 04:50 AM   #27

alright! since my tax returns actually came in as a sizeable amount i guess its not gonna be six months instead 2 weeks, so between the 4 brands and as a gun for me and the wife, what is your guys personal experiences with them

Old 01-29-2011, 07:02 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 247 Times on 194 Posts
Likes Given: 31

Springfield XD: I have two. Very good guns, good ergos, convenient safety mechanism
Glock: Good guns, don't like the feel though
Sig P226: I have one. One of the better platforms on the planet IMO
FNH P40: Haven't one shot, but have heard good things

I don't really enjoy 40sw, prefer 9mm/45acp. Apart from the cost, I actually prefer 357sig too. 40sw is an excellent defense caliber and is both abundant and affordable, it's just less fun to shoot than the other two in my experience. 40's are definitely best in medium to full-sized frames.

I figure about 90+% of the time that you could get the job done in one shot with a 40/45, you'll also get that same job done with one 9mm shot. And for that other 10%, 9mm is a very friendly round when it comes to quick follow up shots.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM   #29

yeah the gunshop has 2 of the 4 brands there, a full line of Sigs, and one FNP-40, so i am gonna head down to take a look and see what feels comfortable

Old 01-30-2011, 05:26 PM   #30

I'll be purchasing a gun soon and i was in the same situation about caliber and brand. i definitely want to do a 9mm. mostly because my gun will be for shooting range fun so it'll be cheaper and easy to find the ammo. second reason is for protection for the house. Illinois is not a state for conceal and carry.

At the local gun range i tied out the CZ 75b which has been a favorite all the time. I also tried out the Sig p226, while it shot nice, the specific rental one had the rough plastic gribs on it. i'm not too familiar with customizing but it was hurting a few fingers and was bound to get calloused, took about 30 rounds. if it wasn't for the grips then it would have been one i was leaning at. i might try it again at the rental. a friend has a XDM45 he just purchased late last year and it was nice, liked the safety spec on the grip (still new to firearms and lingo) but i want to say it felt a little heavy. but it was a good heavy, maybe something i can get used to.

I shot beretta 92 a couple of times but it was okay for me, even though it is a really popular model.

To the person that posted about the 1911 9mm. is that custom or can those be bought in 9mm barrel?