Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

No handgun has "stopping power" no matter what anybody on the interwebz says...

Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 PM   #12

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheBunny View Post
she'll be alright after getting used to it since we pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere all we need is a crate of ammo, cant decide on a .40 or a .45 4.5-5" for myself
I have NEVER heard of anyone getting use-to something that isn't fun. You see, if it sucks, it doesn't suck less the more you do it!

I, along with many others here, find the .40 S&W a real POS as far as shooting pleasure goes.

I can shoot 9mm and .45 ACP all day long and have a smile on my face. After 2 mags of .40 and I'm ready to short the range visit and head for happy hour.

And should you continue to refuse to listen, much less take the advice you asked for, you may want to listen up for this important one. DO NOT pick the gun or caliber your wife will shoot! Trust us on this one.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-26-2011, 10:01 PM   #13

yeah i am pretty sure it has being a firearms forum no one will agree on anything and its everyone's opinion til facts are filed, and i sort of hate the word stopping power in the contexts of someone saying that it stops someone in their tracks, i use it in context for the round expending all of its energy inside someone and causing hydrostatic shock, which is not common with a 9mm, anyways i am steering clear of 9mm, its an alright round for fun shooting

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

You cant go to war against the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly...

Last edited by ApacheBunny; 01-26-2011 at 10:18 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
I have NEVER heard of anyone getting use-to something that isn't fun. You see, if it sucks, it doesn't suck less the more you do it!

I, along with many others here, find the .40 S&W a real POS as far as shooting pleasure goes.

I can shoot 9mm and .45 ACP all day long and have a smile on my face. After 2 mags of .40 and I'm ready to short the range visit and head for happy hour.

And should you continue to refuse to listen, much less take the advice you asked for, you may want to listen up for this important one. DO NOT pick the gun or caliber your wife will shoot! Trust us on this one.
yeah i get that part, and thats what i wanted to hear from someone, their experience with the .40 S&W, and the wife chose the gun, i am just trying to get some help on choosing caliber, but also this is for myself because i am getting a 5" for myself.

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

Old 01-26-2011, 10:15 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
My XD45 stopped me in my tracks when i saw it; i had never seen a OD green pistol before, much less in .45ACP.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-26-2011, 10:42 PM   #16

Quote:
yeah i get that part, and thats what i wanted to hear from someone, their experience with the .40 S&W, and the wife chose the gun, i am just trying to get some help on choosing caliber, but also this is for myself because i am getting a 5" for myself.
Want a great all-around handgun? Try one in 9mm that has been around for 75 years:

Or how about one in .45 ACP that has been around for 100 years?

And as to 9mm efficacy; (stopping power?)

I'm comfortable with it.

We (men are pigs) don't give women enough credit when it comes to recoil.

My 18 yo daughter with her favorite pistol, my 5" government in .45 ACP.

Picking the gun for your SO to shoot is like rape. You may love it but she's hating the whole experience!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Oh yea? Don't you have one of these??

- orangello

Old 01-26-2011, 10:59 PM   #18

yes i have one of "those" that has been around for 100 years and she can shoot it without complaints, and a target riddled with bullet holes doesn't tell me anything about what i just said my context of stopping power (terminal ballistics is the proper word) is that was just overkill which is great 15 rounds is better than 7 heavy recoil rounds against an attacker for my wife, which shows me you have proper training and can shoot effectively. my wife said it should be energy expended vs. recoil, this being said a 9mm might be right for her, though i have seen her tackle a .50 AE but that was with a bench rest for anticipation of recoil

Last edited by ApacheBunny; 01-26-2011 at 11:07 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:30 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I decided its time for a new gun, I am 6 months off from purchasing one, and have been studying on what would be right for me, so I want everyone's opinion on these firearms:

Springfield XD (leaning towards)
Glock (whichever model)
Sig P226
FNH P40 (shot it before)

also to help narrow it down I decided to give the .40 S&W round a try since I always lean towards a .45 but give your input on whichever caliber
The Glock 23 is very nice...

But I think that the Glock 27 is even nicer...

I don't care for the trigger of the XD pistols.
Even though they are single-action, I find them to have too much travel and to be just a bit on the heavy side.
I like Glock triggers much better....and if you put in a 3.5 lb connector in them they are fantastic.

Last edited by luckyg; 01-26-2011 at 11:32 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

For me personally I'm a fan of XD, XDM, Glock, and M&P for full size handguns. For a compact model I like my Glock 27 or M&P compact. I'm just not a real big fan of the compact XD's for whatever reason.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War