Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion

I decided its time for a new gun, I am 6 months off from purchasing one, and have been studying on what would be right for me, so I want everyone's opinion on these firearms:

Springfield XD (leaning towards)
Glock (whichever model)
Sig P226
FNH P40 (shot it before)

also to help narrow it down I decided to give the .40 S&W round a try since I always lean towards a .45 but give your input on whichever caliber

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

You cant go to war against the Gorgatron with your keys all... willy nilly...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have been very happy with my XD45. It has never jammed or FTF or FTE or anything like that. I shoot recreationally and regularly. I don't carry.

edit* Mine is the "tactical" 5" barrelled model (in OD Green).

whoah! sorry about the big pic

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-26-2011 at 08:06 PM.

Old 01-26-2011, 06:41 PM   #3

yeah i was gonna get an XD .40 sub compact for my wife later on for concealed carry

Nothing say's "don't enter my house" like a newscast that says "home invader killed with Tomahawk"

Dalai Lama: "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." <- now that made my day

Old 01-26-2011, 06:49 PM   #4

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApacheBunny View Post
yeah i was gonna get an XD .40 sub compact for my wife later on for concealed carry
These are snappy little guns to shoot (like all small .40s are)...

Old 01-26-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

she'll be alright after getting used to it since we pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere all we need is a crate of ammo, cant decide on a .40 or a .45 4.5-5" for myself

Old 01-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #6

Liked 22 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
she'll be alright after getting used to it since we pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere all we need is a crate of ammo, cant decide on a .40 or a .45 4.5-5" for myself
Ok, sure. Have you ever shot an XD .40 SC? Living in the middle of nowhere has nothing to do with it, I was speaking about the nasty recoil pulse of small .40s - not many women enjoy shooting something like that...

Old 01-26-2011, 07:12 PM   #7

no but i have shot a .38 Special P+ in a snub nose the recoil much more than a normal size so i understand the difference in recoil from different sized barrels so i can imagine the .40 having considerable kick, what i meant by that we live out in the middle of nowhere is that we dont have to go to a range to have her get practice in so it will seem less like a trial for her

Old 01-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #8

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

From 50 people you will get 50 opinions on what you should get.

Bottom line, what fits and feel comfortable in my hand may not in yours and what you like your wife might not like.

Try to find a range that rents guns and try as many as you and your wife can.

I personally went with a 9mm for a couple reasons; cost of ammo, availability of ammo, relative low recoil, and good stopping power. Every round has pros and cons. As for a handgun, in my hand a S&W M&P felt great.

Good luck in your search and remember you don't have to stop at one

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"

Old 01-26-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

well a 9mm may have stopping power it is relatively lower than the .40 and .45 its why i steer clear of them, my friend is completely whipped on 10mm, but i would like to hear what guns you guys are using these rounds in not just the round effectiveness i know terminal ballistics

Old 01-26-2011, 08:27 PM   #10

Liked 25 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJason View Post
Every round has pros and cons.
Quote:
well a 9mm may have stopping power it is relatively lower than the .40 and .45 its why i steer clear of them, my friend is completely whipped on 10mm, but i would like to hear what guns you guys are using these rounds in not just the round effectiveness i know terminal ballistics
Of course .40 and .45 has "greater" stopping power, whatever that really means. But I ask you, would you want to be shot by a 9mm? The caliber debate has been beaten to death here on the forums, do a search if you like. Like I said, for me, the 9mm was a nice balance of cost and effectiveness, that was all I was trying to say.

Albert Einstein "The important thing is not to stop questioning"