Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/handgun-decision-caliber-discussion-37453/)

ApacheBunny 01-26-2011 06:27 PM

Handgun decision/ Caliber discussion

I decided its time for a new gun, I am 6 months off from purchasing one, and have been studying on what would be right for me, so I want everyone's opinion on these firearms:

Springfield XD (leaning towards)
Glock (whichever model)
Sig P226
FNH P40 (shot it before)

also to help narrow it down I decided to give the .40 S&W round a try since I always lean towards a .45 but give your input on whichever caliber

orangello 01-26-2011 06:33 PM

I have been very happy with my XD45. It has never jammed or FTF or FTE or anything like that. I shoot recreationally and regularly. I don't carry.

edit* Mine is the "tactical" 5" barrelled model (in OD Green).
http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s...r/XD45case.jpg
whoah! sorry about the big pic

ApacheBunny 01-26-2011 06:41 PM

yeah i was gonna get an XD .40 sub compact for my wife later on for concealed carry

NGIB 01-26-2011 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApacheBunny (Post 430208)
yeah i was gonna get an XD .40 sub compact for my wife later on for concealed carry

These are snappy little guns to shoot (like all small .40s are)...

ApacheBunny 01-26-2011 06:55 PM

she'll be alright after getting used to it since we pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere all we need is a crate of ammo, cant decide on a .40 or a .45 4.5-5" for myself

NGIB 01-26-2011 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApacheBunny (Post 430217)
she'll be alright after getting used to it since we pretty much live out in the middle of nowhere all we need is a crate of ammo, cant decide on a .40 or a .45 4.5-5" for myself

Ok, sure. Have you ever shot an XD .40 SC? Living in the middle of nowhere has nothing to do with it, I was speaking about the nasty recoil pulse of small .40s - not many women enjoy shooting something like that...

ApacheBunny 01-26-2011 07:12 PM

no but i have shot a .38 Special P+ in a snub nose the recoil much more than a normal size so i understand the difference in recoil from different sized barrels so i can imagine the .40 having considerable kick, what i meant by that we live out in the middle of nowhere is that we dont have to go to a range to have her get practice in so it will seem less like a trial for her

DrJason 01-26-2011 07:28 PM

From 50 people you will get 50 opinions on what you should get.

Bottom line, what fits and feel comfortable in my hand may not in yours and what you like your wife might not like.

Try to find a range that rents guns and try as many as you and your wife can.

I personally went with a 9mm for a couple reasons; cost of ammo, availability of ammo, relative low recoil, and good stopping power. Every round has pros and cons. As for a handgun, in my hand a S&W M&P felt great.

Good luck in your search and remember you don't have to stop at one ;)

ApacheBunny 01-26-2011 08:10 PM

well a 9mm may have stopping power it is relatively lower than the .40 and .45 its why i steer clear of them, my friend is completely whipped on 10mm, but i would like to hear what guns you guys are using these rounds in not just the round effectiveness i know terminal ballistics

DrJason 01-26-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrJason (Post 430248)
Every round has pros and cons.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApacheBunny (Post 430285)
well a 9mm may have stopping power it is relatively lower than the .40 and .45 its why i steer clear of them, my friend is completely whipped on 10mm, but i would like to hear what guns you guys are using these rounds in not just the round effectiveness i know terminal ballistics

Of course .40 and .45 has "greater" stopping power, whatever that really means. But I ask you, would you want to be shot by a 9mm? The caliber debate has been beaten to death here on the forums, do a search if you like. Like I said, for me, the 9mm was a nice balance of cost and effectiveness, that was all I was trying to say.