Handgun Accesory question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Handgun Accesory question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Handgun Accesory question

I just bought a FN forty nine at a gun show. I am a beginner in handguns. My FN has an accessory rail for lasers and lights. But what kind of laser do I buy a weaver mounted or picatany mounted. If you need a picture let me know. It has 2 grooves under the barrel but that's all I know.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #2

Go for a Tac Light, not a laser..

And either should be fine.

Correct me if I have this backwards:
Weaver rails are smooth, Picatinny have notches to prevent Fore and Aft sliding.

Go for the picatinny.

Actually, Carry a bright LED flashlight in your pocket, and the gun with no accessories on the rail! Much more effective, and a flashlight makes a great SD tool that can prevent you from needing to draw your CCW.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Handgun rail accessories have a very limited level of practicality.

A rail-mounted tac light (maybe w/laser) can be useful on a home defense weapon like a nightstand gun. I have one on mine, and it's my only handgun rail that sees any use. It's only there for when things go bump in the blind of night.

Beyond that? I dunno, maybe if you carried for some sort of night time security work. But you'll probably find that most rail units are cumbersome and inconvenient. If you want a laser on a carry gun, it's worth going all-in for a Lasermax or Crimson Trace setup. They'll cost $300 or so, won't require special holsters, and aren't as prone to hanging up on clothes and getting knocked off sight. And I'd generally agree with the above thoughts that in almost all circumstances you're best off keeping your light seperate from your gun, if you intend to carry both.

Just because your gun has a rail doesn't mean you have a legitmate use for it. It's like all those oddball compartments in a backpack. They're there for the heck it, because the manufacturer can list it as additional feature without adding much production cost. Most people have little use for them.

Old 08-21-2011, 07:37 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22

A rail-mounted tac light (maybe w/laser) can be useful on a home defense weapon like a nightstand gun. I have one on mine, and it's my only handgun rail that sees any use. It's only there for when things go bump in the blind of night.

Beyond that? I dunno, maybe if you carried for some sort of night time security work. But you'll probably find that most rail units are cumbersome and inconvenient. If you want a laser on a carry gun, it's worth going all-in for a Lasermax or Crimson Trace setup. They'll cost $300 or so, won't require special holsters, and aren't as prone to hanging up on clothes and getting knocked off sight. And I'd generally agree with the above thoughts that in almost all circumstances you're best off keeping your light seperate from your gun, if you intend to carry both.

Just because your gun has a rail doesn't mean you have a legitmate use for it. It's like all those oddball compartments in a backpack. They're there for the heck it, because the manufacturer can list it as additional feature without adding much production cost. Most people have little use for them.
I think I leave it lasers and light alone for now. I do not shoot at night so no point. But I'm having trouble picking a holster as the FN forty nine was discontinued in 08'. I would like the hard plastic kind or a tac vest. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Old 08-21-2011, 09:28 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post

Well said SWEEPER22, I totally endorse what you said. Also, with a handgun mounted light, you may be pointing the light (gun) at something you may not wish to destroy.

Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

For me I like the Trace Laser grip instead of mounting a laser on the rail. There are very few holsters that you can use to carry your pistol daliy with a light mounted to it if you want to. I use a weapon mounted Surefire X200/300 for my home defense pistol or I carry it on a Blackhawk CQC Dual Rail Accessory Belt Loop when I go out of the house.

Old 08-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #7

Likes Given: 1

Spend the money on ammo.

Old 08-28-2011, 02:45 PM   #8
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I have had a laserlite put on top of my Glock 19 for fun, plus they did not interfere with my IWB holster. Then i got a Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II which already came with the Crimson Trace grips. To me it depends on how much you want to spend. The picatinny lasers are easier to install and dont cost as much(usually)so i would check that route first. From my experience with the Crimson Trace grips they are the best for me because the ease of use but they due tend to be a little more expensive. But one thing I have noticed in this case the old saying "you get what you pay for" is the truth. Hope this helps. Ed

Last edited by eborden1122; 08-28-2011 at 02:50 PM.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #9

That is the truth! At least in the case of PSLasers. I did a review on one of their products for the Glock pistol and it was utter junk! They run $29.99-$79.99 and I returned the one I purchased ($52.99) and bought some ammo with the refund.

The rep on the phone swore it could handle the recoil of any handgun caliber and that it would not come loose or drift.

Well, it drifted noticeably about every 4 shots when attached to my Glock 34, then on my Glock 23 it not only drifted on just one shot, the battery cover would fall off after 3 or less shots. So by now I was like whatever, I'm either going to break it or return it because i'm not carrying it, so I put it on a 1911 and in one shot the laser had drifted all the way down the batter came out, and it almost slide off the rail.

Fortunately, when I called PSL they said they'd give me a full refund on all but my initial shipping. So I sent it back certified mail and the reimbursed me for that and the laser.

I wouldn't recommend their products to anyone!