Hand size/gun fit - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hand size/gun fit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:39 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDefenseofLiberty View Post
That is a good point my hand is almost a 1/2" shorter yet across the knuckles I am at 3.75". i always noticed that I had a tendency to shoot left the smaller the gun grip was and that my natural point of aim was always left also. So I, in my research, started gripping the gun closing my eyes and pulling the gun up in a shooting stance and noticed that if the grip was small my aim was left, not so with the fatter grips.
Beretta 92's and 96's feel great in the hand and shoot beautifully however, I cannot abide a weapon that is finicky on ammo and in my experience the Beretta's I have shot are very picky. Especially with the reloads.

what ammo have you used that gave you problems?

Every single Beretta 92/96 I've fired, from the 5 or 6 different M9s I qualified with at the range, to the 3 that I own myself, to shooting buddies Berettas, I have NEVER had a malfunction when using factory Beretta magazines or the military contract magazines that are stamped "checkmate" or "wyandot" (or whatever the names were on them, I'm going from memory on the names)

Now, when I bought my first 92FS, it was a used gun, police department trade in, and it was in the middle of the 94 AWB, so they could not trade in the "high capacity magazines" with the gun for sale to private citizen, so it came with some cheap aftermarket no-name mag that didn't even have the holes drilled in the back to show round count. That magazine did cause some malfunctions where it would double feed. Once I bought some pre-ban Beretta mags, I've never had an issue since.

And I've shot military issue "ball" ammo, winchester, wolf, tulammo, remmington, Hornaday, Speer, American, Belliot...I've shot FMJ, cast lead, JHP, +P and home reloads...and whatever else I could get my hands on, and again the only time I had malfunctions was with that cheap no-name magazine.

on the original topic, I have always paid attention to hand size and grip size when handling weapons. I can't stand those annoying "baby glocks" because of how small they are. I carry my Beretta 96 concealed because I can hide it as easily as the guys who are carrying full size 1911s, and it fits my hands well. At an IPSC competition one time, a fellow competetor said "holy crap man, you make that huge Beretta look small in your hands!"

I just measured my hands by the above dimension, and I'm just over 8" in length, and if I measure across the knuckles of my 4 fingers, I'm at 4" across.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #12
NTD

Likes Given: 1

8 1/4" long 3 5/8's wide at the knuckles.

I think your excuses about grip sizes are just that, excuses. I think thicker guns are a crutch for your gripping style. I think if you got better at a stacked thumbs grip and actually worked on that grip, you would find the gun you are shooting is irrelevant. The problem you are having with going left is the fact that you are not correctly using your support hand...Your strong hand is over powering your support hand so you are pushing the gun left.

Too many people care about what "feels" right when handling firearms. Learn and apply superior techniques...It will feel awkward for awhile but eventually familiarity with the technique will breed comfort.

For the record I think the immediate results you found with the XDM were a result of less trigger travel.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:11 AM   #13
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2271 Times on 1227 Posts
Likes Given: 821

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTD View Post
8 1/4" long 3 5/8's wide at the knuckles.

I think your excuses about grip sizes are just that, excuses. I think thicker guns are a crutch for your gripping style. I think if you got better at a stacked thumbs grip and actually worked on that grip, you would find the gun you are shooting is irrelevant. The problem you are having with going left is the fact that you are not correctly using your support hand...Your strong hand is over powering your support hand so you are pushing the gun left.

Too many people care about what "feels" right when handling firearms. Learn and apply superior techniques...It will feel awkward for awhile but eventually familiarity with the technique will breed comfort.

For the record I think the immediate results you found with the XDM were a result of less trigger travel.
Sure, you could probably overcome just about any ergonomic obstacle with relentless application of technique; but why with all the choices out there that "fit" the individual hand better.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:24 AM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1
You may need to watch hickok45
I feel inadequate every time I watch him The man's amazing with anything he handles. Wish we could all shoot that much.

Tested a bunch of pistols recently and the Sig P226 always felt the most natural in my hand, and was also the one I shot best with. 7 1/3".

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 AM   #15

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Sure, you could probably overcome just about any ergonomic obstacle with relentless application of technique; but why with all the choices out there that "fit" the individual hand better.
And that is why time and timer again when someone does the "what should I get" thread there are a few people that will tell them to get their hands on several different types of pistols to see where the best fit & feel are. I don't have a real big hand, my fingers are kind of short (7.5" hand). I have no issues really with single or double stack pistols but I am more comfortable with a single stack. I do have a Para P16 that is a double but I did put a set of Pierce grips on it to make it a little thinner than the OEM grips. I recently acquired a S&W 916 that I really like the feel of. But nothing can replace the lovin feelin of a 1911.

There are tons of handguns made today and many of them are more than adequate. There is no reason to fight a pistol to shoot it. Shoot what shoot best. Believe me three will be no time to think about technique in a high stress situation. Sure, everyone should work to use a proper grip. But it is much more important to do that with a firearm that fits properly to begin with.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-01-2013, 12:23 AM   #16

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 14

8" long 3-3/4" wide

1911's are great, even my Officer's but not as good as the full sized.
XDm 9mm feels good (like a 1911)and makes me look like a very good shooter
XD45 Tactical uhmmmm just got it, jury's out
Best feeling is a surplus Browning Hi-Power with those ugly plastic grips, it rattles a lot but I can shoot it as well as the XDm 9/1911 and it fits like a glove.
Ruger Vaquero 45colt with birds head grips are sweet, got rid of a plowshare Vaquero and Blackhawk, no room for the pinky but I could shoot it ok.

Glocks feel like a 2x4, if Aston Glock had put some ergonomic thought into the grip, he'd would have doubled his fortune.

Small guns CZ-82 & a Makarov not bad, better with CZ
Kel Tec P-11 OK with pinky mag addition

Wife just got a S&W 642-1 38spl Airweight fits my big paws pretty nice.

My 2 pesos worth.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 AM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2292 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 669

I have mentioned many times that the Glocks dont fit my hand except for the G36. Too big for my short fingers. Why I went to a Ruger SR9c. I dont seem to have a problem with the XD's or 1911's either.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:41 AM   #18
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8711 Times on 5036 Posts
Likes Given: 11320

Don't know why but this thread made me think of a friend of mine who has size 7FFFF feet. They look like hands with the fingers cut off at the first knuckle.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.