Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Hand size/gun fit (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/hand-size-gun-fit-82031/)

InDefenseofLiberty 01-21-2013 04:08 PM

Hand size/gun fit

It seems to me that this is an often overlooked category of research for the newer shooter or first time handgun purchaser. After being at the counter when a new shooter is asking questions of the gun shop employee this never comes up until I mention it and then everyone involved on the conversation suddenly looks at the size of their hands and says "That thought never even crossed my mind".

So I decided to take it upon myself to start a thread, since I could not find one, that would address this issue with a wide range of hand sizes and what you prefer to shoot according to that or what modifications you have made to accommodate your meat hooks.

Since I am starting the thread I will give some parameters to follow. We could break this down to surgical accuracy (finger length vs. palm size)but, I will stick for simplicity's sake to overall hand size measured from the crease below the palm to the tip of the middle finger.

I realize opinions are opinions but, I am willing to bet that hand size has a lot to do with what we settle on being our best and most accurately shot platforms.

I have a 7 7/8" measurement as measured from the parameter above and find that most single stacks move in my hand while firing simply because the grip circumference is too small.

For me this is critical as for years I owned and learned my basic shooting skills using a Sig Sauer P220. This is a fine weapon but, i was not happy with my accuracy initially and it took years of practice and manipulation (and a wrap around Hogue grip) to realize that the gun frame was just too small for my hand.

Shooting anyone else's double stack handgun in almost any manufacturer's platform would instantly change my shot placement and follow up time between shots. this was truly accented when my buddy got a Springfield XDm in .40 and I shot tighter groups the first time I picked it up. He has smaller hands and loved shooting my Sig 220. I have since sold my Sig and have an XDm in every caliber available.

I also have found that I am accurate with almost all double stack platforms and really have to concentrate on grip when I move to single stacks. I look forward to seeing how much this affects the platform you like or if I'm just making a personal observation.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!:)

BeyondTheBox 01-22-2013 01:33 AM

7.7", can shoot double or single stack fine but prefer single by miles. With double I have to regrip from time to time.

ScottA 01-22-2013 01:56 AM

And thus the reason I don't like the Beretta 92.

Colby 01-22-2013 03:44 AM

8 inches.
I don't own a double stack. When trying one at a shop (Glock) they feel too bulky. Maybe I should try more.
Hmmm... Thinking... I did come across a couple that did feel right - a Ruger P95 and an M&P9 Compact
I have small concealable things - LCP, LC9, S&W Airweight ... And full frame revolvers.
Opps... And 1911.

I like your thread. This should be interesting...

Vikingdad 01-22-2013 03:55 AM

8.25 in length but 3.25 wide at the knuckles. I think that is another relevant measurement. I've got big, thin hands. I am pretty comfortable with single or double-stack, but with subcompacts I need a mag extension to be able to shoot comfortably. Old single-action revolvers (like my Ruger Blackhawk) are a little funny feeling but I can shoot them well. I should try making a fatter grip on it though and see if it feels better/improves my accuracy.

John_Deer 01-22-2013 10:52 PM

I have big hands. Guns with a stock that is to small is more of an issue for me. What I have noticed is a person with small hand should be able to hold the gun naturally and their trigger finger should extend to the front of the trigger guard.

InDefenseofLiberty 01-23-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikingdad (Post 1104749)
8.25 in length but 3.25 wide at the knuckles. I think that is another relevant measurement. I've got big, thin hands. I am pretty comfortable with single or double-stack, but with subcompacts I need a mag extension to be able to shoot comfortably. Old single-action revolvers (like my Ruger Blackhawk) are a little funny feeling but I can shoot them well. I should try making a fatter grip on it though and see if it feels better/improves my accuracy.

That is a good point my hand is almost a 1/2" shorter yet across the knuckles I am at 3.75". i always noticed that I had a tendency to shoot left the smaller the gun grip was and that my natural point of aim was always left also. So I, in my research, started gripping the gun closing my eyes and pulling the gun up in a shooting stance and noticed that if the grip was small my aim was left, not so with the fatter grips.
Beretta 92's and 96's feel great in the hand and shoot beautifully however, I cannot abide a weapon that is finicky on ammo and in my experience the Beretta's I have shot are very picky. Especially with the reloads.

hardluk1 01-24-2013 04:18 PM

indefence You may need to watch hickok45 with his extra large hands shoot both large and small handguns. Very accurate with both and some get the trigger pulled with the middle finger joint. Still he can pop steels at long distands with sub compact single stacks. I never was as good as he is but allways seems to adjust from large to small sized grips just fine. My hand is 7 3/8 long 3 3/8" wide and 2 7/8" trigger finger. I enjoy shooting glocks with a small hand and cc kahrs.

Vikingdad 01-24-2013 07:25 PM

For the record I have hit my 2'x2' steel target at 100 yards with 13 out of 15 rounds in my G27 sub-compact. I can do this consistently. Have even been able to hit 15 out of 15, but not every time I try it. 13 out of 15 is the worst I do.

miget63 01-24-2013 08:11 PM

I had to get rid of a Kahr CW 40 because of my big hands. Every time I fired it my thumb would bump the mag release and the magazine would fall out. It kind if made it useless for concealed carry for me. Traded it in for a Taurus 740 slim and don't have problems.