Hammerli X-Esse as a first gun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Hammerli X-Esse as a first gun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hammerli X-Esse as a first gun?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone here uses a Hammerli X-Esse .22 pistol and what are the good/bad points of the gun?

I'm looking at getting ready to purchase my first pistol and I am after something fairly light that I can use for sport pistol shooting. The other one that I was considering was the Browning Buck Mark, but I have been told that European manufactured guns are of much better quality. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on something that is going to be unsuitable further on down the track and I would be happy to pay a little extra for something that will go the distance. Any other recommendations would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Well, Hammerli in general has an excellent reputation, and has been making small bore pistols for a lot of years. My concerns would be: 1. Can you get repair parts where you live? and 2. MY GOD! that is a lot of money for a .22! Those are about $850-$900 in US dollars! For a first handgun, I would be sorely tempted to go for something like a heavy barreled Ruger Mk III with target sights- for about 1/3 of the cost of the Hammerli. However, the reason the pub has several beers on tap, and the ice cream shop has more than just vanilla is that different folks have different tastes. So- while you did say this would be your first handgun, may I ask how much shooting you have done with someone else's handgun?

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-12-2010, 12:31 AM   #3

I've shot a couple of different pistols but I haven't really enjoyed using a heavier gun. I find that I just don't have the strength to hold it steady and while the lighter guns do have more recoil, I find that I get tighter clusters when I shoot with them.

I have tried Glocks, round barrel Rugers, a heavier one (can't remember the brand but think it started with a 'G') which had an orthopaedic grip but it was so heavy I was absolutely exhausted after 50 rounds. I haven't had the chance to shoot a Hammerli, but the reviews have said that they are a quality-made lightweight pistol so that's what caught my eye.

They retail for about AUD$1200-$1500 over here so yes, quite pricey, but if it's a good gun I'd rather spend the extra $$$... unless I can find something more suitable for less money! Repairs shouldn't be a problem - they stock these at my local gun shop so I assume they should be able to order in parts fairly easily?

Old 05-12-2010, 04:15 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9573 Times on 4118 Posts
Likes Given: 1502

Well, the Hammerli is 880 grams- about 31 ounces US. The Ruger Mk III weighs in at 31-35 ounces, depending on the barrel (pencil or heavy, short or long) IF you have the opportunity, I would go shoot one for a bit before buying. Unsure of the "G" psitol you shot- but there are a LOT of nice .22 pistols that range from "fun for casual shooting" to "I am a serious contender for gold medals in the Olympics" class of shooters. As they say here is the South- you pays your money, and you takes your pick.

Now, I have obviously not seen you shoot, have NO idea of your physique or physical condition, and do NOT want to prejudge you on the basis of "Well, she's a girl...", however, have spent my share of time coaching novice women shooters, and there is a common shortcoming with many of them- including my current protege- youngest granddaughter (age 14). May I suggest you have a coach observe you shoot, and see if this applies?

When shooting standing offhand, ALWAYS use a two handed stance (unless you are fighting a duel for your honor- then one handed sideways is good ) I have seen a number of new shooters stand with feet even with each other, about shoulder width apart. This results in a "hips pushed forward, shoulders pushed back" stance. You are then poorly balanced, and holding the pistol in your extended arms- even the weight of your arms with no pistol quickly becomes tiring. Instead, if right handed, Turn SLIGHTLY to the right, take a half step forward with your left foot, feet still about shoulder width apart. Your weight is now above and centered over your feet- and you do not have the same "cantilever" effect while holding the pistol. Less tiring, less shaking, etc.

IF this does not apply to you at all, please write it off to an old man that has been teaching for too long, and lapses into the lecture mode too easily.

C3

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 05-12-2010, 06:29 AM   #5

LMAO @ "old man that has been teaching for too long" comment!

Hey I'll take whatever advice I can get! I'm very new to the sport so any pearls of wisdom are welcome. I am a member of a pistol club (here in Australia you MUST be a member of a pistol club to obtain a licence) and they are really good with their coaching of newbies. And of course, cos I'm a girl, I'm never short of volunteers to coach me anyway! Haha!

At the club they taught us the one-handed way of shooting. I had shot two-handed at another range and found it a lot easier and much less tiring, but it doesn't seem to be the way the people at my regular club shoot. It's all target shooting, sport shooting etc and EVERYONE does it one handed.

This is purely for target/sport shooting. I really can't use it anywhere else because it's illegal in our country. My main reason for wanting to buy a gun is so that I can shoot more often - the club only provides guns one day per week and unfortunately I work on that day so it's very difficult for me to get in any practice. At the moment I have to rely on someone loaning me a pistol and it's a tad inconvenient.

Old 10-02-2010, 04:25 AM   #6

Default re shooting stance

Grumpy, I ran across your description of a good two-hand shooting stance. I found it searching the web for Trailside and X-Esse. I have the former and have hardly ever fired it since I got it years ago. wanting to take my wife to a range and get us both shooting (no, not at each other ;^)
For her benefit, as well as my own, I am trying to picture the stance you describe. I am having trouble with it. Do you mean to face the target straight on, then turn the body slightly to the right, then step out and a little to the right with the left foot?

Old 10-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

David, welcome to the forum. Stick around a while and you will find that this is a good site with knowledgeable people. (We even have an "Introduction" section you should visit).

If you are right side dominant (hand and eye), try this:
Face the target head on.
Move the right foot to the rear so your body is at a 45 degree angle.
This will force your right arm to be straight and your left elbow bent a little when you are aiming at the target.

Use your body to absorb recoil, and not your hand. The barrel should be in line with the forearm. If it is not, shooting will get tiresome quickly.

Good luck

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You could look at the Browning Buckmark. It's a target .22 in the same vein as the Ruger, but substantially lighter, and almost as good.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 07-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #9

Default hammerli x-esse

I have a ruger 10/45 mark iii 4.5" threaded barrel. And I love it. BUT I just bought a new hammerli X-Esse sport 6"barrel, oh my God, do I need to say anything more? Had Larry gun inc. Do trigger job, red dot, and Larry's scope rail. First ten rounds 25 yards from rest all within 1", after adjusting the red dot nest ten all within a dime. It is that perfect I can't even believe it. So you do what you want. In defense of my ruger I do have a red dot, but no trigger job or target grip. Maybe that would help but don't think I would get the same result.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3115 Times on 1790 Posts
Likes Given: 1326

Michibama, Welcome to the forum.
A couple of things:
1. Stop by "Introductions" and say "Hi".

2. As a general rule, old threads normally are not brought back to life. I would suggest a new one get started.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)