Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > H&k usp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #1
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 461 Times on 253 Posts

Default H&k usp

I have been putting thought into getting a new pistol and was thinking what advantages does the H&K USP in 9mm have over a S&W Sigma in the same caliber?

Which would be better?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #2

Likes Given: 7

Well I'm a little bias but the H&K is the better gun hands down!I own many
H&Ks and they have never let me down.I do not have a USP but I do own
some USP compacts.

Murfdog

Life Liberty & the Pursuit of H&Ks
P2000sk 9mm NS Lem
P2000sk .40 sw NS Lem
USPc .45acp NS Lem

Old 08-10-2010, 10:56 PM   #3

H&K make some great guns. No doubt.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:55 PM   #4

I dont own a H&K but, havent heard anything bad wit them. As much as they cost, you shouldnt have any problems with any model! In all honestly, which ever one feels great in hand and shoots great (if you can shoot a test model) is the one i would go with.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Shi, you wont be surprised to know that I've owned some HKs also. I've had the full-sized and the compact version of the USP in both 9mm & .40 S&W. Nice guns, very well engineered, very expensive. I never saw a huge advantage in them personally other than the "cool" factor. If you want to spend a lot on a poly gun they're nice but IMHO they aren't worth twice what an XD, M&P, or even a Glock.

You'll notice I reference my ownership of HKs in the past tense as I dealt them away for other stuff and haven't missed them...

Old 08-11-2010, 12:07 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
I have been putting thought into getting a new pistol and was thinking what advantages does the H&K USP in 9mm have over a S&W Sigma in the same caliber?

Which would be better?
The price difference between those two is the prime factor. Do you want two Sigma's or one USP?

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 AM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

On a fit, finish, quality, resale-ability, name recognition stand point, the H&K is hands down a better pistol.

However, you are going to spend the price of a Sigma in just name recognition alone.

You seem to like the Sigma, stay with what you like and know, unless you just plain REALLY need a H&K.

I had one, a USP Tactical. It was what everyone wanted in a pistol. Everyone wanted to shoot it. Everyone thought it shot great, performed, ate what I fed it and turned in great targets.

It was also heavy, clunky, dropping the mag required taking the pistol off target and carrying it was an exercise in exercising.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:55 AM   #8

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Ditto for everything JD said, Shi. If you like the USP get it.

A friend of mine is a German SF Trooper and when they were issued the USP's he told me they dropped one in the dirt and drove over it with one of their tracked APC's. No damage.

But knowing your fondness for the Sigma, I might advise you to check out an M&P 9. My local range has one on the rental line and they say the M&P 9mm has held up as well as the G17. Many tens of thousands of rds with no breakage.

And the M&P is WAY cheaper than the HK.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-11-2010, 09:07 AM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Been using a USP for about 1 year now (club gun) and as M14 says, its bombproof. Never had any problems with ammo-feeding, except for one batch of club reloads where every round sent it out of battery...but wasn't ever the firearm at fault. Must be reliable to last years of being used by various ham-fisted newbs like me

Way too big for my hand though. It if fits you and you don't mind the bulkiness/weight/heavy trigger, go for it.

Illigitimi Non Carborundum - Don't let the bastards grind you down

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Yes, at WalMart, you can pick up a gun, ammo, ski mask and your antidepressants all in one trip. Darn convenient if you ask me...:D

Old 08-11-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
jbd

H&K make a great gun and I have thought about buying one may times but just couldn't make myself spend the money. I think if You are want some upgrade check out the M&P or the new SD from Smith&Wesson. I have a M&P 9mm and have been very happy with it, but when funds allow I'm going to check out the SD Smith. I've been told it is geared to come in between the Sigma and M&P in price and quality.