Guns you would like to see remade. - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Guns you would like to see remade.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 12:13 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker

That's what I though too, but I had a few sites say 16 GA, and one site say 18 GA.
I've heard a couple made in 16, but none of those made it into serious mass production. Maybe same story with 18. I do know that they used the 20 ga model in the civil war.

-Matt

Old 11-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #62

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Trez what did you mean the .38 was a cover for the Dardick Pistol? I don't understand. I fired some of these pistols back in the 1960s. They were loaded with a very unque Tround a triangle shaped nylon Gtg. These could be reloaded with nothing more than an ice pick for depriming. You pressed the primer and bullet in by hand. You stated an auto pistol ?? They were revolvers.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:16 AM   #63

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

COP
Dan Wesson current production 1911s in 38 Super and 357 Sig, preferably Commander size

Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #64

Liked 736 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 785

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
Trez what did you mean the .38 was a cover for the Dardick Pistol? I don't understand. I fired some of these pistols back in the 1960s. They were loaded with a very unque Tround a triangle shaped nylon Gtg. These could be reloaded with nothing more than an ice pick for depriming. You pressed the primer and bullet in by hand. You stated an auto pistol ?? They were revolvers.
The book I have says:
"This most unusual weapon by New York inventor, David Dardick, Combines the magazine feed of a automatic, with the rotating cylinder of a revolver. The rounds were conventional commercial rounds (e.g. .38 Spl., 9mm Parabellum ) loaded into Trochoidail-shaped carriers called "Trounds""

Old 11-14-2012, 04:55 PM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The book I have says:
"This most unusual weapon by New York inventor, David Dardick, Combines the magazine feed of a automatic, with the rotating cylinder of a revolver. The rounds were conventional commercial rounds (e.g. .38 Spl., 9mm Parabellum ) loaded into Trochoidail-shaped carriers called "Trounds""
When i was reading about it BITD, i thought only the projectiles were conventional, but i never got to try one.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:49 AM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
The book I have says:
I actually own one of these (and I've posted a 30 minute review video on Youtube), so I'd just like to clarify that the 38 caliber trounds were NOT just your everyday 38spl or 9mm rounds stuffed into a plastic sleeve. This is a common misconception.

The projectile was essentially a 38spl bullet, but the plastic (technically a 50s wonder-plastic called Celanese Fortiflex) held the powder charge and primer directly. As nitestalker says, you could reload them pretty easily with basically just your hands.

After Numrich bought out the company's inventory when it folded in the early 60s, they experimented with 9mm Luger and 38spl wadcutter adapters, but didn't make much progress and abandoned the idea amid fears of harming the guns. Only 50 had made it out of the factory, so it was probably a wise choice, although with all the leftover parts I'm sure Numrich could have made dozens more.

38 special rounds will absolutely not even fit in the gun - they're too long. I am hoping to eventually have some custom 38spl wadcutter adapters made so I can shoot the gun on video.

EDIT: By the way, as for the question "Is it a revolver or an automatic?" In my opinion, it's mostly a revolver, since your trigger finger is doing every bit of the work. During the couse of one single pull of the trigger, you're doing three things: loading a round into the cylinder, firing a round, and ejecting the previous round. It's really extremely clever and I wish the system were more robust and ergonomic. With some more design work, it could have potential, in my opinion.

Last edited by uspfan; 11-16-2012 at 01:57 AM.