guns with safety's and guns without?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > guns with safety's and guns without?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 04:39 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default guns with safety's and guns without?

So I'm an aspiring gun enthusiast and I try to pick up as much as I can whenever and wherever I can, so some things I still have yet to learn.

A little while back, I went to a range and got to fire a P226 for the first time. I already had experience with guns at this point and I knew how to operate them for the most part. The P226 was a rental from the gun shop that was attached to the indoor range. They showed me how to use it because I had never fired one before, even though I was pretty familiar with it already.

What surprised me was that there was no safety on the gun. What I had originally thought was the safety was actually the decocking lever. It was then they told me that lots of guns don't have safety's but rather decocking levers: Sigs (as is evident above), Berettas, Glocks (I knew this one already), and they named a few more that I don't particularly remember.

So in general, which companies or firearms in particular have actual safety's and which ones don't? I'm particularly interested in the 92fs. I've shot it before at a supervised range but I never really got to toy with it to see how it works. Among other guns also, does the 92 have a safety (the lever on the back of the slide), or is it just a decocking lever?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoF660 View Post

<snip>

What surprised me was that there was no safety on the gun. What I had originally thought was the safety was actually the decocking lever. It was then they told me that lots of guns don't have safety's but rather decocking levers: Sigs (as is evident above), Berettas, Glocks (I knew this one already), and they named a few more that I don't particularly remember.

So in general, which companies or firearms in particular have actual safety's and which ones don't? I'm particularly interested in the 92fs. I've shot it before at a supervised range but I never really got to toy with it to see how it works. Among other guns also, does the 92 have a safety (the lever on the back of the slide), or is it just a decocking lever?

Sorry for the long post, but thanks in advance.
I am not a Beretta guy, but I'm pretty sure the lever on the back of the slide on the 92FS is a combined safety/decocking lever.

Glocks have neither a safety or a decocking lever. Glocks are what I would call a "dual action only" pistol, where the trigger pull is always the same, and always quite long. The idea is the trigger pull is long and deliberate enough that it's not likely you'll pull it all the way accidentally, hence there is no need for a safety. Proponents of this type of gun cite the benefit of it always being ready to fire in an emergency - just pick it up and shoot it and you don't need to worry about forgetting to remove the safety. The disadvantage is the trigger pull is always long and many do not like it.

The standard Sig P226 is dual action/single action (Sigs also are available with other trigger actions). Starting with the hammer decocked, the first trigger pull will be dual action - long and deliberate. Like the Glock, it's not easy to accidentally pull the trigger and fire a shot in dual action mode, so no need for a safety. Firing the first round cocks the hammer for the second and subsequent shots, so they are single action with a relatively short and light trigger pull. Proponents of this type of gun cite the "just pick it up and shoot it" capability like the Glock, with the advantage of a nice single action trigger for all but the first shot. A disadvantage is you need to learn two trigger pulls.

1911 style pistols are single action only. The gun is manually cocked for the first shot, and then for subsequent shots the action of the slide leaves the hammer cocked. They have a very nice short and light single action trigger. They are designed to be carried "cocked and locked", meaning hammer cocked with the safety on. You get a really nice single action trigger for every shot, but some would say the disadvantage is you have to remember to flick the safety off when the adrenalin starts flowing.

Most people have their favorites, and opinions can run strong. Good advice is to find a firing range that has a variety of guns available for rent so you can try some different guns before you buy to figure out what you like, and what fits your hands well.

Lifetime Member, Second Amendment Foundation

Old 02-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Beretta makes models with manual safeties, with decocker-only, and they also make double-action only pistols (no lever on the slide).

Smith & Wesson makes similar variants as the Beretta. The M&P line of pistols come in models with & without manual safety levers.

Glock pistols do not have a manual safety lever.

Springfield XD pistols have both models with & without manual safeties.

1911 format pistols have a manual safety, required for the cocked & locked carry that the gun was designed for. Browning Hi-Powers have similar safeties.

HK USP pistols are configurable for safety, decock-only, and double action only.

Most SIG-Sauer pistols have Decock only. They also make double-action only, as well as pistols with 1911 format safeties.

There are other variations, things like HK PSP squeeze-cocker, but if you are familar with the mechanism of the above weapons you'll be fairly well rounded.

Firearms training views your brain and your trigger finger as your primary safety (hence the rule: Keep your finger off the trigger until you're ready to fire), which is one reason the manual safety lever has fallen out of favor with many, except in formats where it is a necessary part of the operation (like the 1911 pistol).

Good luck, and welcome to handgunning.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Last edited by Bighead; 02-10-2009 at 10:11 AM.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More about the Beretta 92

F Models
Also known as the 92SB-F, the model 92 F was developed in 1983 as a further modification of the model 92 SB that featured a slightly reshaped grip, plastic grip panels and a new, more durable finish. The current production version of the 92 F has a double-action first trigger pull, followed by a single-action trigger pull for subsequent rounds. The "F" and "FS" models have a safety lever that also functions as a decocking lever. The 92 FS was submitted for USA XM9 Army Pistol Trials in 1985 and adopted by the US Army as the M9 Pistol. It is manufactured both in Italy and in USA, and has also been adopted by many other military and law enforcement groups. The 92FS features a chrome-lined barrel, recurved triggerguard for improved two-handed grip, new grip panels and lanyard ring, Bruniton finish, and trigger bar disconnect safety.

G Models
The G models (designed for the French "Gendarmerie Nationale") were adopted by the French Military as PAMAS ; they feature a manual decocking lever only instead of the safety-decocking lever of the 92 FS. When the decocking lever is released, it automatically returns to the ready to fire position. There is no manual safety.

DS Models
The DS models are "double action only" pistols: the hammer always follows the slide forward to come to rest in the double action position (the hammer never stays cocked). The hammer spur has been removed, and is flush with the rear of the slide. The manual safety lever on the slide provides the same function as it does on the 92 FS.

D Models
The D models are also "double action only" pistols. They are identical to the DS models but without the manual safety (the lever has also been eliminated).

from Beretta 92 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 02-10-2009, 02:32 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoF660 View Post
Among other guns also, does the 92 have a safety (the lever on the back of the slide), or is it just a decocking lever?
Short answer: The 92FS has a safety. It is also a decocking lever.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:34 PM   #6

Glocks actually have three safetys,But the most important safety,is between your ears!

Old 02-10-2009, 03:46 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Safety you say?

hoot.jpg  

Old 02-10-2009, 03:56 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

I hear people complain that "XYZ" gun is dangerous because it does not have a safety. When was the last time you saw a revolver with a safety?

Old 02-10-2009, 10:51 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I hear people complain that "XYZ" gun is dangerous because it does not have a safety. When was the last time you saw a revolver with a safety?
Dangerous? The things are inherently dangerous. That's the point. I've found the one thing I like about safeties is when I'm at the range with friends. I like the ritual, if I'm putting the gun down to let a friend take over, of clearly engaging the safety as I step away. Otherwise, I agree with the person above: the real safety is between the ears.

Old 02-10-2009, 10:58 PM   #10

I am pretty fond of safeties. I think it is because of all the logs, rocks, and small cliffs I have fallen over in the woods while hunting with pistols/revolvers. If there is not a safety, like on my revolvers, I leave an empty cylinder. I would hate to have to crawl out 2 miles to the truck after taking a .454 to the thigh.