Gun for Wife - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Gun for Wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yep, will do. Thanks for the idea's folks. And lotsoremmies has just given me another idea, maybe i shouldn't get her a gun........

Old 01-20-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 286 Times on 226 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Of the three you listed, I'd have to stray a little off script. 32acp? No way. Lower end Taurus? Nope. The Bersa Thunder is the best option, but I'd definitely bump up to their compact 9mm. The 9mm will be about the same size, weight, and price as the 380...except you get a better performing round that's much easier to get your hands on in the 9x19.

A few others (with approx prices) worth looking at:

Ruger LCP ($300)- If you want a reliable, sharp looking .380 at a bargain price- this is it.
Ruger P95 ($300)- Very durable and reliable, slimmer than most polymers.
Ruger SR9 ($440)- Good looking gun, exceptionally slim for a double stack 9mm.
Compact XD9 ($550)- Great gun, but maybe too "thick" and spendy for your criteria.
CZ RAMI 2075 ($575)- The alloy version, that is. Super light, very handsome, but maybe pushes your price point.

And no, I don't own a single Ruger myself. They just seem to offer some examples that fit your criteria really well. The Bersa .380 is solid functioning gun, just make sure it's more pracitical than the 9mm (for the wife) before making the purchase.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #23

I have no opinion on the Beretta or Bersa. I have handled 3 different Taurus models. All three were sent to me to play with because their owners were having trouble with them. All 3 were not quality pieces, for different reasons. I know members of this forum love them. That's o.k. I am just telling you about my personal experiences.

Old 01-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 View Post
Yep, will do. Thanks for the idea's folks. And lotsoremmies has just given me another idea, maybe i shouldn't get her a gun........
I'm just sayin...

But in all honesty, I'll be getting my lady a stub nose ruger 22. I'm more worried about her hitting the target than having stopping power.

Old 01-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #25

I love Taurus 1911's, 92's and wheelguns... all because they are proven designs and usually produced on actual Colt or Berretta tooling. However, their new self deisgned auto's have been turds... I do like the 24/7 models but I wont drop my dime on them until I have several other proven firearms in the safe to choose over them.

I would look at the CZ's and rugers hard before purchasing one of those 3, just MHO.

WCU Rugby!

Lucky Taurus Owner... 3 out of 3! PT1911/ PT92F/ 44 Raging Bull

Old 01-21-2010, 08:21 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHSBulldog06 View Post
Alright, my wife is looking at getting her first gun for carry. My first attempt to get her a revolver is out, because, "I don't like that, I want a pretty gun" she said. So last wknd we went to the gun store to see what she likes. And here is what it all boiled down too: Beretta Tomcat .32, Bersa Thunder .380, and Taurus PT709 Slim 9mm. Myself, I like the Taurus 9mm just for the fact that its got a little more meat on the bone. She narrowed it down to those after she held all of them, and made sure they had a manual safety. I don't know how bad the recoil is on the 9mm but I'm sure if she can handle my 3" Kimber .45 then the 9 will be a breeze. Of the 3 listed, which would you guys prefer for your wife or girlfriend or mom or sister or your hooker?

I have a pt111 millenium pro with no reliability issues at almost 500rds.

Just let her decide and go from there.

Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 84 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If those were my only options I think I would keep shopping. There are a number of 9s that will meet her criteria and if she doesn't mind a 45, you can go there.
Of the 3 given I would go with the Bersa but the 380 is the smallest I would go for self defense.
What other guns did she pick up and handle that she didn't like?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 01-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #28

My wife's first gun was a Bersa Thunder .380. She loves it!!!! We bought her a Kel-tec pf-9, she put 20 rds through it, and hasn't fired it since.She just doesn't like the way the gun shoots. She also has a P-38 that she shoots well. It's a bigger gun, and the recoil, for her, just isn't there.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #29

spittinfire, I'm gonna try to remember what all she held and didn't like but I've slept since then so I'm not gonna remember all...She didn't like any revolver, tried to talk her into springfield emp-9mm, but it is just a tad bit too big for her. didn't like the little kel-tecs, umm, taurus pt 111 i think, Baby Eagle. sig 238 she liked but after a bit of research seemed too many folks were having problems. That's all I can recall right now, next on the list is to see if she likes the cz's and walther's and then research them. All that is left on the list right now that she likes is a bersa thunder.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:15 PM   #30

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Show her the Kahr. Yeah, it's more expensive, but if this is a gun she's going to be trusting with her life, it's worth it.

Ruger Mk III Competition
S&W M&P 9 Pro Series
East German Makarov PM