This gun is for the weak - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > This gun is for the weak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2014, 07:07 AM   #11
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default This gun is for the weak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekGreg View Post
I once owned a Desert Eagle in .44 mag stainless. I called it my "Door Gun" and sat in an end table drawer right next to the front door. The intimidation value was incredible against those that had passed the "no trespassing, no solicitors, no religious peddlers" signs and the "Day Sleeper" note on the door and STILL felt they could knock. If you can hold the gun up one-handed, the weight made firing magnum rounds child's play. And the fact that it was gas operated made the cycling smooth, even though the slide was the size if a Volkswagen. After some practice, aimed rapid fire was very easy as the front sight barely moves.

As a side note, I was called a "mean son of a b____" by the arresting officer as I am the only known person to have a family of Jehovah's Witnesses arrested for Trespass and actually press charges. Do NOT ignore my signs to trespass and wake me, then argue that I open the door holding a gun and tell me you have a right to be there - I'm cranky when I'm awakened.

They came to the Door Saturday morning. MzGrn got there first or they'd have gotten the " I'm a Jew, I'm a veteran, and I'm Armed. And you should bless ME for having put on a uniform because WITHOUT ME, you would not be in a country that would allow you to practice Freedom of Religion" Speech....
I had the DE in 357 many yrs ago, but I had the 8" which they don't make anymore, just the 6" & 10" now...

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 03-25-2014, 07:20 AM   #12
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
An awesome intimidator no doubt. (I edited because I was referring to the 50AE and in fact tekgreg mentioned the 44 Mag). Still a terrible thing to shoot indoors but then who cares.

People who are driven by a higher calling see a no trespass sign as a challenge God wants them to overcome. In their minds, God will also protect them from getting shot to death. We have considered such signs and decided against them.
I owned my Desert Eagle before the advent of the .50 AE. I figured it was too big to carry and the intimidation factor was priceless! Only one violator didn't turn and run immediately - the above mentioned family.

This was in the Republik of Kalifornia, therefore the signs were a requirement to use a firearm outside of my residence with no ambiguity. Also, I like the defensibility in court, as I have heard prosecutors argue that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to keep from knocking on your door if you don't post it. In court, the signs reinforce the homeowner/tenant rights.

It's kind of the chicken/egg argument, why should I post it if it's a right, but I always like the clean, clear-cut method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I have an old Taurus Model 66 357 mag with a 6" barrel. Hot 357 loads are very manageable. .38 special +p has almost no recoil.
I bought the same Taurus Model 66, but mine was the 4", and was amazed at its ability to tame full-house defense rounds. Only thing I noticed on mine was an inability to reliably detonate MagSafe ammo reliably, but every other mass manufactured ammo worked fine. Never did determine if it was the batch of ammo or not. The gun was extremely good at taming recoil, though.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 03-25-2014 at 07:31 AM.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 03-25-2014, 08:27 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
I bought the same Taurus Model 66, but mine was the 4", and was amazed at its ability to tame full-house defense rounds. Only thing I noticed on mine was an inability to reliably detonate MagSafe ammo reliably, but every other mass manufactured ammo worked fine. Never did determine if it was the batch of ammo or not. The gun was extremely good at taming recoil, though.
Never tried MagSafe in mine. MagTech is the only factory ammo I've run through it. The rest have been reloads. Never a problem with it going bang.

I love that gun. Comfortable, and extremely accurate.

Old 03-25-2014, 04:16 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4128 Times on 2805 Posts
Likes Given: 2055

Quote:
I owned my Desert Eagle before the advent of the .50 AE. I figured it was too big to carry and the intimidation factor was priceless! Only one violator didn't turn and run immediately - the above mentioned family.

This was in the Republik of Kalifornia, therefore the signs were a requirement to use a firearm outside of my residence with no ambiguity. Also, I like the defensibility in court, as I have heard prosecutors argue that it is unreasonable to expect anyone to keep from knocking on your door if you don't post it. In court, the signs reinforce the homeowner/tenant rights.

It's kind of the chicken/egg argument, why should I post it if it's a right, but I always like the clean, clear-cut method.

i did not know that about California. My MO has always been keeping a low profile and not drawing attention. We've never had any yard signs at all, or bumper stickers for that matter.

Once every couple of years I lapse and attach a wiseass sticker, like COEXIST made of gun manufacturers logos. Then my wife paints a vivid picture of a human fly getting drawn to this kind of $&@". I pay back with an occasional prank, putting I AM NRA on her car. (She is not a member.) Anyway I can appreciate the different styles.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #15
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur

Liked 1464 Times on 771 Posts
Likes Given: 634

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
i did not know that about California. My MO has always been keeping a low profile and not drawing attention. We've never had any yard signs at all, or bumper stickers for that matter.

Once every couple of years I lapse and attach a wiseass sticker, like COEXIST made of gun manufacturers logos. Then my wife paints a vivid picture of a human fly getting drawn to this kind of $&@". I pay back with an occasional prank, putting I AM NRA on her car. (She is not a member.) Anyway I can appreciate the different styles.
I never used the inflammatory signs inspired by Hollywood:

And used very standard, defensible wording, like these:

I think your wife is right: it seems that all that the "Go ahead, make my day"-type signs do is attract criminals and the mentally unstable, or those that have something to prove. I always wanted to make sure that a judge and jury would see me as simple, serious and straightforward, and I don't need anything complicating it.

Now that I live in a Stand Your Ground state, I have nothing posted, although the signs came with me. The attorney I spoke to said that there is no reason to post it unless I am having people enter the property accidentally or unknowingly, such as walking in and not realizing it is private property. Simple is always best, and the last thing you want to do is give a prosecutor information he didn't already have.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)