This gun is for the weak
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > This gun is for the weak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2014, 12:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

Default This gun is for the weak

I never realized how easy it is the shoot the desert eagle .50 cal. This thing has literally no recoil, to me it feels less than a .357 mag.

Anyone else have an experience where you were all ready for a lot of recoil then you shoot and it was like wow that was nothing!

I mean once I shot it, I was doing one hand shots, off hand shots. It just seemed to me to be a big 3 pound toy. imageuploadedbyfirearms-talk1395664539.623609.jpg

More prepared than most. Less prepared than many.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8889 Times on 3849 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

Dan Wesson 15-2 HV .357 magnum- with a 10 inch barrel. It just LOOKS mean! With that much weight, it hardly bounces with hot handloads.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1328 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 608

I once owned a Desert Eagle in .44 mag stainless. I called it my "Door Gun" and sat in an end table drawer right next to the front door. The intimidation value was incredible against those that had passed the "no trespassing, no solicitors, no religious peddlers" signs and the "Day Sleeper" note on the door and STILL felt they could knock. If you can hold the gun up one-handed, the weight made firing magnum rounds child's play. And the fact that it was gas operated made the cycling smooth, even though the slide was the size if a Volkswagen. After some practice, aimed rapid fire was very easy as the front sight barely moves.

As a side note, I was called a "mean son of a b____" by the arresting officer as I am the only known person to have a family of Jehovah's Witnesses arrested for Trespass and actually press charges. Do NOT ignore my signs to trespass and wake me, then argue that I open the door holding a gun and tell me you have a right to be there - I'm cranky when I'm awakened.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 03-24-2014, 01:52 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1618 Times on 1108 Posts
Likes Given: 569

If you have all those signs up having the Jehovah's Witnesses arrested was not out of line. You have the same right to be rested for work as they do to spread the gospel. When I try to sleep during the day once I am awakened I am up for the rest of the day. I have a plastic chain I put across the handrails on the front steps when I am sleeping during the day. The bright yellow plastic chain lets my friends know I am not receiving company but strangers often don't get the point. If my dog is indoors she will just growl until someone opens the door on a vehicle. Once they open the door the dog starts barking and my sleep is over. I don't really get upset with missionaries but salesmen, especially the ones selling meat from their truck really tick me off.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-24-2014 at 01:55 PM.
trip286 Likes This 
Old 03-24-2014, 05:04 PM   #5
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1328 Times on 696 Posts
Likes Given: 608

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
If you have all those signs up having the Jehovah's Witnesses arrested was not out of line. You have the same right to be rested for work as they do to spread the gospel. When I try to sleep during the day once I am awakened I am up for the rest of the day. I have a plastic chain I put across the handrails on the front steps when I am sleeping during the day. The bright yellow plastic chain lets my friends know I am not receiving company but strangers often don't get the point. If my dog is indoors she will just growl until someone opens the door on a vehicle. Once they open the door the dog starts barking and my sleep is over. I don't really get upset with missionaries but salesmen, especially the ones selling meat from their truck really tick me off.
I love your idea of the plastic chain! Unfortunately, I was renting and the driveway, walkway and front yard were unfenced and there was no choke point I could control, so the signs were my only recourse. Even my landlord, who lived behind me, shooed people away from my door. But this assault team made it by the dog, the signs and the landlord. And you're absolutely right - once up, it slight out and my body will not go back to sleep!

The arresting officer told me many people call to "get even" with solicitors, but when you push the complaint form in front of them, they don't want to sign, especially if they have kids with them. That made me even madder that they were exploiting the kids.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Old 03-24-2014, 05:27 PM   #6

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

DNK about the 50AE round, but my DE44 doesn't kick

that much more than my 1911. I won't even try a .44

revolver.

Weak, huh? Try holding that bear out at arm's length

for 5 minutes...

Old 03-25-2014, 01:15 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1974 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 1008

An awesome intimidator no doubt. (I edited because I was referring to the 50AE and in fact tekgreg mentioned the 44 Mag). Still a terrible thing to shoot indoors but then who cares.

People who are driven by a higher calling see a no trespass sign as a challenge God wants them to overcome. In their minds, God will also protect them from getting shot to death. We have considered such signs and decided against them.

Last edited by Mercator; 03-25-2014 at 01:53 AM.

Old 03-25-2014, 01:18 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21585 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
There is much to enjoy in your DE. You have probably shot it before, so you know that a 50AE fired indoors will kill what's left of your hearing. (Intruders don't know, and that's good).

People who are driven by a higher calling see a no trespass sign as a challenge God wants them to overcome. In their minds, God will also protect them from getting shot to death. We have considered such signs and decided against them.
or maybe they see it as an invitation from God, and want to get there quicker!

some of us still take "No Trepassing" signs serious. twice in the past i have had mine enforce by having the sheriffs deputys give the offenders free room an board at the county jail.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:31 AM   #9

Liked 2506 Times on 1428 Posts
Likes Given: 1947

I tell the folks I catch trespassing, the signs aren't there to

protect me, the signs are there to protect them.

There's beehives on the property, Poison Ivy, snakes, varmint

hunters; they just don't seem to get it.

Old 03-25-2014, 05:36 AM   #10
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6563 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I have an old Taurus Model 66 357 mag with a 6" barrel. Hot 357 loads are very manageable. .38 special +p has almost no recoil.