Which gun to use? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which gun to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

One person advised, if you don't have a lot time to prep take the 9, but if you do you might wanna try something different. Go to a range that rents guns and rent a 357 magnum. Shoot 2 cylinders full of 158 grn bullets then shoot a mag of 40 S&W through your Glock. You'll notice a big difference in recoil, then try it again, and the 40 should feel weaker. This helped me, because my first gun was 9 mm ruger. Then a 40 Glock, then Colt 45, then 357 mag, now I am staring on rifles. If have the time and the will you can do it. Like somebody else said you should do it with what you're gonna carry most.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #32

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

9s are accurate and have capacity, but 40 S@W provides more kinetic energy for more knock down, more hydra static shock, and a bigger hole. Most 40 S&W hollow points go about 900-1100 fps, penetrates ballistic gel 10-14 inches and have a lot of expansion, and accurate.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 PM   #33

I keep hearing that I should use what I'm going to carry most. I agree, but what happens when I change carry guns? I don't want to be good with one gun. I want to be able to do well with whatever weapon I happen to have. Is that unrealistic?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-20-2011, 05:10 PM   #34
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
I keep hearing that I should use what I'm going to carry most. I agree, but what happens when I change carry guns? I don't want to be good with one gun. I want to be able to do well with whatever weapon I happen to have. Is that unrealistic?
No. But I suspect you'll only carry a few compared to everything you own.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #35

Liked 1004 Times on 705 Posts
Likes Given: 1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
As you know, your Glock 17 and 22 are very similar. Though the 40S&W does have more recoil than 9mm, if you're good with one then the other should be almost second nature. As far as other guns, there are more differences but if you learn the proper way to grip them and shoot and use the sights well then the bullet is gonna go where you aim. It's really not hard to be good with different guns, but be the best with the one you intend to carry.

______
The biggest issue with assembling an AR isn't so much getting the parts together right - it's getting the right parts together. You'll remember the quality of a gun long after you forget how much you paid for it.

Old 07-21-2011, 12:43 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 141 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 156

If you want to tame recoil get an all metal pistol.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
As you know, your Glock 17 and 22 are very similar. Though the 40S&W does have more recoil than 9mm, if you're good with one then the other should be almost second nature. As far as other guns, there are more differences but if you learn the proper way to grip them and shoot and use the sights well then the bullet is gonna go where you aim. It's really not hard to be good with different guns, but be the best with the one you intend to carry.
Yeah Q, I definitely can transition between the 2 fairly quickly. I think the biggest thing is follow-up shots. I can handle the 17 much better in terms of the speed of the second shot. The accuracy is basically the same for both just slower, for me, with the 22. I've already decided to take them both and get the instructors feedback about which to take the class with. Of course, that means 3K rounds of ammo to take instead of 1500. Oh well, more to shoot.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #38

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce

Yeah Q, I definitely can transition between the 2 fairly quickly. I think the biggest thing is follow-up shots. I can handle the 17 much better in terms of the speed of the second shot. The accuracy is basically the same for both just slower, for me, with the 22. I've already decided to take them both and get the instructors feedback about which to take the class with. Of course, that means 3K rounds of ammo to take instead of 1500. Oh well, more to shoot.
That sounds fun