Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which gun to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 02:48 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Take the weapon that you plan on carrying daily, learn what you are going to learn with it then apply it to what ever you are going to shoot. The type of caliber you use does not matter.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:10 AM   #22

Caliber doesn't matter? Then why do most seasoned gun people recommend .22 for starting shooters?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #23
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2062 Times on 1119 Posts
Likes Given: 746

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Caliber doesn't matter? Then why do most seasoned gun people recommend .22 for starting shooters?
Low recoil and very low cost.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 07-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2342 Times on 1169 Posts
Likes Given: 1189

Thadeuce,

I agree with Quentin and the most others on the forum here. I would highly recommend taking the 9mm to the class. From what I am reading into your post you are not a highly experienced pistol shooter??? Maybe that is the wrong assumption? But as Quentin stated, you will have a ton of things on your mind while learning and performing the drills and weapon functions. Obviously, recoil is on your mind concerning the 40 so let's eliminate that concern and learn the skills and pass the course! Not that you wouldn't anyway but it is one less concern!There is plenty of other time to practice what you will learn in the class with whatever caliber pistols you choose in the future.
Enjoy the class!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:15 PM   #25

Thanks for the input Sniper. I'll probably take both but chances are I'll be using the 9mm. The whole reason for this thread is because I've never taken one of these classes before and just wanted the opinions of experienced shooters. You guys are very helpful. Thanks.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Old 07-12-2011, 08:26 AM   #26

In my personal opinion the 9mm is the way to go. Stay with what your most comfortable with. Plus, It's easier to learn your fundamentals on a weapon with less recoil. (thus why the .22 is a recommended caliber for beginners) if you can learn proper technique with the 9mm and transfer that to the .40 you should have no problem getting comfortable to the difference in recoil. I recommend looking up todd jarret on YouTube. He has some videos that have helped me improve accuracy and speed. Practice dry fire drills and get some Lead down range.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:20 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post

That is because most seasoned gun people started shooting with a .22. I started with my grandfathers S&W K-22, in .22LR. That is what I started my kids on till they learned the basics and then we went to a Ruger .22/45. It is cheap and easy to shoot.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:52 PM   #28

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce
Thanks for the input Sniper. I'll probably take both but chances are I'll be using the 9mm. The whole reason for this thread is because I've never taken one of these classes before and just wanted the opinions of experienced shooters. You guys are very helpful. Thanks.
I say take it with what you're gonna use the most. I'm a cop and I carry a Glock 22 on duty and Glock 23 for off duty. Shoot like your life depended on it.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:06 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phelenwolf View Post
That is because most seasoned gun people started shooting with a .22. I started with my grandfathers S&W K-22, in .22LR. That is what I started my kids on till they learned the basics and then we went to a Ruger .22/45. It is cheap and easy to shoot.
Well I didn't start shooting until a few months ago and I started with a 9mm.

Old 07-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #30

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM

my opinion No then Yes. heh.

personally i would take the one your going to use the most as your main defensive sidearm.
It makes sense. You're probably shooting slower anticipating recoil, that's a natural reaction by most. You could try what I did and sometimes still do, shoot something with a bigger recoil then go to something with less. I shot half a box 44 mag then shot my 45 acp, big difference.