Which gun to use? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Which gun to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 05:12 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1133 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 1154

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firearms4ever View Post
The more you practice and shoot the more experience you'll have, which will help you when shooting various calibers. The key is practice. To answer your question, choose which ever one you want. Personally I'd choose the 9mm first, because that way you'll get a little more trigger time and get a more easy shooting firearm to hone you skills on.
I agree. I'd go with the G17, why not use the lighter round during the class, you'll have plenty else to occupy your mind. The fewer distractions the better then later on apply what you learned to the 40S&W.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Old 07-09-2011, 12:20 PM   #12

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Ok, so in September I'm going to take a Combat Pistol course. I have both 9mm and .40S&W pistols that I can take to this course. I was thinking of taking the .40 with this logic: If I can handle it and learn with it considering it has more recoil than the 9mm, I can apply what I learn to the 9mm. If I take the 9mm, I'm afraid that I won't be able to apply what I learned to a pistol of more power. Does that make sense? Or am I just being a tard?

Background: Both are Glocks (17 and 22). I can group well with both although my follow-up shots are slower with the 22. I feel comfortable with either.
The easy answer is take the 9mm. Cheaper to shoot and more comfortable for extended shooting sessions. BUT I think you shoudl take the .40 and ask your instructor to teach you proper grip techniques to take the extra recoil out of the equation, speed up your follow-up and make you feel more comfortable with it. If you acomplish that the 9mm will feel like an airsoft in your hands when you get back.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

What are you hoping to get from the class?

If you're taking the class to work more on movement, shooting around obstacles, clearing rooms, etc., you might be focusing more on those aspects than on strictly shooting. If that's the case, I'd say take the 9mm.

If you're going to focus more on actual shooting, I'd say take the .40 and, as Wambli said, get some instructor help on managing the recoil.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 07-09-2011, 04:01 PM   #14

To be honest, I have no idea what I'm gonna get outta the class. I'm trying to go into it with an open mind. I don't want to say I just want to shoot better or I just want to learn to move and shoot. I want to keep my mind open to accept whatever is being taught. Since this is the first REAL course I'm going to take, I'm going into this like prom night...hoping to get something good. I took a defensive pistol course from a local guy and learned some fundamentals but I feel like I'm wasting myself by not giving shooting my all. I don't care about being the best, just the best that I can be.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Old 07-09-2011, 05:01 PM   #15

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
To be honest, I have no idea what I'm gonna get outta the class. I'm trying to go into it with an open mind. I don't want to say I just want to shoot better or I just want to learn to move and shoot. I want to keep my mind open to accept whatever is being taught. Since this is the first REAL course I'm going to take, I'm going into this like prom night...hoping to get something good. I took a defensive pistol course from a local guy and learned some fundamentals but I feel like I'm wasting myself by not giving shooting my all. I don't care about being the best, just the best that I can be.
Only good will come from it. Go with an open mind, and enjoy yourself.

Take away the things that apply to you, and store away the things you don't think you need. Someday you might.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-09-2011, 05:43 PM   #16

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
I don't care about being the best, just the best that I can be.
Well hell, there ya go. Just take and utilize both the 9mm and the .40 then.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-09-2011, 06:12 PM   #17

Liked 1434 Times on 811 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You asked, sell the g22.

I find the .40 S&W a worthless cartridge.

Shoot what you enjoy and forget about the marketing noise all around us.

Practice will provide you with true "man stopping" efficacy, shot placement.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-09-2011, 08:22 PM   #18

Can't do that. Then the wife would want me to sell my other guns.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Old 07-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 309 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
You asked, sell the g22.
I find the .40 S&W a worthless cartridge.
Shoot what you enjoy and forget about the marketing noise all around us.
Practice will provide you with true "man stopping" efficacy, shot placement.
I find myself a bit conflicted when it comes to the OP's question, and my first instinct is to side with the "take both" contingent.

Canebreak has made his opinions on 357sig/40sw pretty clear time and again, and I agree...somewhat. And yet I disagree to an extent. I respect his opinions and they're very well-founded from a specific perspective.

In my opinion (with my massive 2yrs of shooting experience), 40sw is neither the perfect compromise, nor is it the "answer to a question that was never asked". The same goes for 357sig (I own one both), though I would agree wholeheartedly that 357sig owns a great deal of impractical attributes.

Take both. 40sw is an exceptional defense caliber, and if you're going to own one you should learn to handle it well. 40sw (unlike 357sig) enjoys the benefit of being both superior in its power to 9mm and more affordable to 45acp. It's the epitome of "middle ground".

I prefer both 45acp and 9mm to the mid-range options. I find both easier to hit follow-up shots with, and that's a critical factor. I carry mostly 9mms for this very reason. But 40sw does offer a legitmate compromise value, being more powerfull than 9mm and easier on the wallet than many other options. With countless agencies drinking the 40sw Kool-Aid, it's here to stay and abundant enough to remain affordable.

Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 AM   #20

Thanks for all the input. I think I might just take them both.