Which gun to use?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Which gun to use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which gun to use?

Ok, so in September I'm going to take a Combat Pistol course. I have both 9mm and .40S&W pistols that I can take to this course. I was thinking of taking the .40 with this logic: If I can handle it and learn with it considering it has more recoil than the 9mm, I can apply what I learn to the 9mm. If I take the 9mm, I'm afraid that I won't be able to apply what I learned to a pistol of more power. Does that make sense? Or am I just being a tard?

Background: Both are Glocks (17 and 22). I can group well with both although my follow-up shots are slower with the 22. I feel comfortable with either.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Dr. Adrian Rogers, 1931 – 2005

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-09-2011, 02:25 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6787 Times on 3608 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadeuce View Post
Does that make sense? Or am I just being a tard?
my opinion No then Yes. heh.

personally i would take the one your going to use the most as your main defensive sidearm.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 07-09-2011, 02:32 AM   #3
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2474 Times on 1326 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Quote:
Both are Glocks (17 and 22).
imagesac-broken.jpg  

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 07-09-2011, 02:37 AM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The more you practice and shoot the more experience you'll have, which will help you when shooting various calibers. The key is practice. To answer your question, choose which ever one you want. Personally I'd choose the 9mm first, because that way you'll get a little more trigger time and get a more easy shooting firearm to hone you skills on.

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 07-09-2011, 02:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Funny Scott. I actually have an XDm 9 as well but I was trying to keep it simple.
"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Q. Do you have trouble making decisions?

A. Well, yes and no.

Take the nine.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-09-2011, 03:10 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I would take what ever gun you use the most, I had to take a course to get my CCL it was tough for me between my 1911, my M9, or my model 66. Finally I just thought what gun have I carried the most in the woods. Model 66 in 357 mag. It you shoot better with a 9 go with the 9 if you shoot better with a 40 go with a 40. Worst comes to worst flip a coin.

"cake or death! I'll have the cake then... SORRY WHERE OUT OF CAKE!... so it's or death? I'll have the chicken then please." Eddy Izzard

"so a suppose your going to kill me now? no he is I'm just here to watch"

"you know why guns are better then a woman?... you can put a silencer on a gun."

Old 07-09-2011, 04:03 AM   #8

Liked 36 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I think either is fine.

After a few rds you won't notice the difference in the .40.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 07-09-2011, 04:23 AM   #9

The only reason I asked this was because when I go shoot, after taming the .40, the 9mm seems very tame. Just kinda thought of it as training with weights.

Old 07-09-2011, 05:11 AM   #10

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
The only reason I asked this was because when I go shoot, after taming the .40, the 9mm seems very tame. Just kinda thought of it as training with weights.
Many people, myself included, feel the .40 S&W has a bit more snap in the recoil. Nothing that can't be trained away but if you have a limited amount of range time for the course I would recommend the 9mm so you can focus on the tactics being taught and not have to worry about taming the recoil. You can apply the tactics with the .40 on your free time, not time you are paying for. JMHO...YMMV
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Newest Threads