Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Gun Storage Question...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 07:42 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Default Gun Storage Question...

My M&P40 came with this paper around the gun. Should the paper be used when the gun is stored in the case or can it be discarded?

Noob question I know

cimg2951.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-06-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

The paper provides some anti corrosion protection. When a pistol leaves the factory, it may sit in the case for quite some time, thus the paper.

If the pistol is going to just be stored, pick up a silicone impregneted "sock" and keep it in that. They cost around five bucks or so and they're cheap insurance. If the firearm is for home/self defense, just keep it away from moisture, keep it clean and lubricated and it will be fine.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-06-2009, 08:37 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Cool thanks! For now it's my only firearm so it will be stored in the house for personal protection. I will keep it clean and lubricated and I also got a silicone cloth to wipe it down before storage.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

It sounds like you're good to go.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 07-06-2009, 11:36 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? If so, what did you think?

ArmsVault

Old 07-07-2009, 12:31 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by armsvault View Post
Have you had a chance to shoot it yet? If so, what did you think?
Sure did...today...check out the Range Report I posted in the RR Forum.

I love it!

Here's a better picture of it...
mp40.jpg  

Last edited by ZeusEcho; 07-07-2009 at 12:33 AM.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusecho View Post
Sure did...today...check out the Range Report I posted in the RR Forum.

I love it!

Here's a better picture of it...
I have one in .40 also. I like it just a bit better than the Glock 23 I used to have. A lot of folks don't like the .40, but it's the caliber for me!

Old 07-07-2009, 12:55 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
I have one in .40 also. I like it just a bit better than the Glock 23 I used to have. A lot of folks don't like the .40, but it's the caliber for me!
Nice. I picked .40 as compromise between the 9mm and .45. It's the first firearm I've owned and I already see a Kimber SS 1911 in my future.

What is it about the M&P that you liked better than the Glock? My father in law has a G23 so I should get a chance to shoot that soon also.

Old 07-07-2009, 01:54 AM   #9
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

The paper wrap is for long term storage but has little value on your M&P it is stainless steel and polly so not a lot of corrosion issues to be concerned with.

I expect if you get to shoot a Glock you will quickly understand the differences between that and your M&P. For me it's the grip angle, the ability to change the grip size with the palm swell inserts, the trigger is a huge improvement over the Glock trigger, the action seems smoother and the sights are far better. I have a M&P 45 and a 9mm compact. I carry the 45 most of the time, I carry the 9mm when in shorts and a tee shirt.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 07-07-2009, 03:19 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDB View Post
The paper wrap is for long term storage but has little value on your M&P it is stainless steel and polly so not a lot of corrosion issues to be concerned with.

I expect if you get to shoot a Glock you will quickly understand the differences between that and your M&P. For me it's the grip angle, the ability to change the grip size with the palm swell inserts, the trigger is a huge improvement over the Glock trigger, the action seems smoother and the sights are far better. I have a M&P 45 and a 9mm compact. I carry the 45 most of the time, I carry the 9mm when in shorts and a tee shirt.
Thanks for the intel WDB! LOL...ADD Posterchild