Gun shows? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Gun shows?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

The growing consensus is that all firearms sold at gun shows are overpriced. But I do think you can barter with cash. As my friend who saw a Saiga 12 shotgun for $725 dollars
talked the guy down to $500 cash as he was walking away. And lo, and behold, the vendor sold it to him. So, go figure?

Old 06-09-2012, 05:47 PM   #22

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Yeah, cash is definitely an advantage. I would think that with the cost or the table space/booth & the added effort & expense to cart all that stuff to the show, etc. it would be difficult to make the "unbelieveable deal". I haven't been to one in about a year, but I have seen a few pretty decent prices on new. I'm not one to buy used because I don't trust my own judgement in regard to determing condition, but I'd think that's where the best chance of finding a good deal.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:16 PM   #23

Liked 2615 Times on 1486 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Go early, chalk the entrance fee up to an entertainment value,

and know your values and prices. Hell may freeze,

and you may wind up with a good deal, if you know what

you're doing.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:37 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1394 Times on 680 Posts
Likes Given: 97

I live in Florida, and the entrance fee is for a couple of hours of entertainment as far as I am concerned. A lot of things you get to see you might not in any LGS.

As far as gun prices, I find you have a number of gun shops all competing with each other for the prize of not carrying all of those guns back to the store. The listed prices are not great. However, in Florida, the dealers will negotiate as they know if you leave their table, you might not be back. I bought a Ruger SR9c for $415 a couple years back against a tag on the gun of $525.

Make them an offer, they may go for it. Also I find ammo prices are not any better then the outside world, but at least all calibres are there. Try to get a 45LC at Wal Mart.

Old 06-10-2012, 04:59 AM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

$8? WPB I'm guessing? Got both of my guns cheaper at shops then I've seen them at the shows. But shows are still fun for browsing. Plus I feel like just going to it contributes a little $ to a business market I believe in.

Old 06-10-2012, 05:24 AM   #26

Well I went and prices were sorta high (on at least the guns I've researched on as a possible buy). I found a kel-tec pf9 for $269 and I can get it online for around $240 but by the time I pay taxes and FFL fees it'll cost around the same. I did get a pistol crossbow for 10 bucks. It's more for novelty than practical use but I got to come home with something that shoots and it didn't cost as much as rent so my wife isn't putting me out on the couch tonight lol (not that she would actually ever do that). I really enjoyed going only I hated not bringing half the guns home with me. I think I'm gonna apply to a local pawn shop for a part time job so I can get my gun fixes cheaper . Is anyone else this addicted???

Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 AM   #27

Liked 93 Times on 67 Posts

Ended up going to the gun show myself this weekend. Didnt find my beretta I was looking for. Not too much of a selection of new guns.

I did find a sig p226 for $750. Not sure how great of a deal it was but I haven't been able to nail down an average price online and most of my LGS don't even carry them.

All in all it was a good experience, ammo selection sucked too. It was fairly late on sunday, so maybe things had gotten picked over pretty well.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:14 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I've been going to gunshows for about 10 years, always looked at it as entertainment. Although a few years back i actually got to working for the guy who runs the shows, smart move on my part. I now know alot of the dealers and they kinda know what i look for and what i spend. The one thing i always tell people is never pay what they have it priced at and always have cash. If you whip out a couple hundered dollar bills they really dont want to see you walk away.
I'ts also a good way to meet friends u havent met yet, do a little talking and the dealers will come to you after a year or so. Fir me its just a dang good way to spend a day or weekend.

Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #29

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

The concept of gun shows has been lost. The orginal gun shows started back 50 years ago for gun owners. Back in the day before the BATF an 68 Gun laws trading and buying firearms was for the most part a real freedom. Gun owners, gun collectors, hunters, target shooters would gather at a Nat'l Guard Armory and swap knowledge and firearms. There were always fellows who were willing to take time to explaine a Luger or a Colt to a young guy. The laws changed. Many local Gun Dealers worked to close down shows. The laws were pushed by the Dealers and the National Pawn Brokers Asc. to only allow FFL sales in most states etc. Pres. Clinton banned the use of Nat'l Guard Armorys for gun shows. We now have controled dealer markets not gun shows. Too Bad they were nice.
therewolf Likes This 
Old 06-12-2012, 02:52 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2989 Times on 1945 Posts

I'm addicted to the lima, oh gun shows. Deals are there, get em early or late. How about a 200$ marlin camp 9 with a scope? A whole box of wenger swiss army knives at 5$ a piece? A membership costs 20$ a year, and puts you in a drawing for 3 guns each show. I'll be going back.