Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (
-   -   Gun shows? (

jhughe11 06-07-2012 11:13 PM

Gun shows?
Is it a good place to find a deal on guns or am I just blowing 8 bucks to look at a bunch of over priced guns (not that I mind lol). And if so when's the best time to go?

mountainman13 06-07-2012 11:16 PM

You may find a good deal on a gun. Go early like an hour before it starts. Usually the best deals are on accessories,ammo,memorabilia,collectables and other random gun related goods. Always worth the entrance fee. Don't bring more cash than you intend to spend. If need be an atm is usually nearby.

oli700 06-07-2012 11:23 PM

I was going to suggest just the opposite. I have had good luck in the closing hours on deals in the past. More people looking to deal, the trade off is less merchandise to choose from sometimes but mostly the prices are the same as the gun shop and everyone thinks what they have is worth top dollar . Last time I went I swore never again as I really couldn’t even find ammo cheap enough to cover the door charge… also spawned me to just buy more reloading die’s.

mountainman13 06-07-2012 11:29 PM

I always have to keep in mind not everyone is from ma. Last gun show I picked up 200 rnd Ap 5.56 in stripper clips for $80. Fantastic deal in a state where you can't mail order ammo.

tacticalfun 06-07-2012 11:32 PM

I was at a gun show in pittsburgh last weekend and everything was over priced

oli700 06-07-2012 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by mountainman13 (Post 828442)
I always have to keep in mind not everyone is from ma. Last gun show I picked up 200 rnd Ap 5.56 in stripper clips for $80. Fantastic deal in a state where you can't mail order ammo.

Sweet deal !

danf_fl 06-07-2012 11:37 PM

In the last 14 years, I've seen only 1 real deal at the gun shows in my area.

And I took advantage of it.

All the other things are available in the vendors shops for the same price as at the show.

SSGN_Doc 06-07-2012 11:45 PM

A lot depends on location. You may have to drop the 8 bucks once just to see if you have dealers who actually compete for prices or if you have one of those groups who have agreements on price fixing before the show even starts.

One of the best shows I used to go to took up two and a half good sized buildings at a state fairgrounds. There were enough vendors to force some competition. Saturday, early was the time to go to get deals on guns, and late on Sunday was the time if you wanted to hit up the bulk ammo vendors, who didn't like loading up unsold crates of ammo late on a Sunday afternoon.

I've been to other shows where everything but the beef jerky was overpriced. (All I left with was some beef jerky). So, go knowing what you have in mind to buy, and what fair value is, and what you are willing to spend. No one is going to twist your arm and make you buy, but if you get impatient and tehn find out later how much cheaper you could have gotten it, you will really begin to understand buyer's remorse.

Also beware of the gunshow vendors who are unloading garbage that they couldn't sell in thier store. Afriend of mine bought some 5.56 green tip ammo, when it was getting hard to find. It was a low price for the market. I just didn't have a good feeling about the folks selling it.

It turns out it was reloads, that caused him more stuck cases, and jams, and popped primers than even the worst reputationed 3rd world surplus ammo.

So, buyer beware applies.

capto56 06-07-2012 11:55 PM

Going this weekend myself. Been looking at prices all over. Curious to see if they really are less.

Had a friend that bought one there and said you can talk them down to 10% over cost. Gonna see whats up and more than likely buy something.

mountainman13 06-08-2012 12:00 AM

And watch out for the guys walking around trying to sell private guns. My buddy bought an old winchester from a guy who acted like it was his first gun show (didn't know rules etc.) He refused to let my buddy cycle the action on the gun (we aren't supposed to open them he said). I warned my buddy it was a risk and he made the purchase anyway. Long story short I had to replace the cartridge guides in the gun and the job required drilling out the old screws cause the a$$hole stripped them out and put the wrong guides in the gun. All original my a$$