The Gun that Replaced the 1911 - VIDEO
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > The Gun that Replaced the 1911 - VIDEO

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 05:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 132 Times on 97 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Default The Gun that Replaced the 1911 - VIDEO

I enjoyed pulling together this video providing a fairly thorough overview of the history, feature, functions and, yes, controversy surrounding the Beretta 92 platform. It features accuracy demonstrations and shooting demonstrations. Hope you like it. Let me know what you think and please chime in here or on the channel with any stories of your personal experiences with the Beretta 92, or as it is known in the military, the M9. As always, I welcome your constructive criticism.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3428 Times on 1657 Posts
Likes Given: 1729

Amsdorf,

I realy appreciated the video on the Beretta Pistols. Many years ago when the 92-F came out the agency went to the pistol. We went through several phases over a period of years with the design. The Metro Agency started with the 92-F 9mm then we went to the 92-FS Stainless 9mm
then to the 96-F 40 Cal. with NP-3 Finish. I also went to Accokeek Maryland in the initial stages to Armorer School and had the pleasure of being taught by the gentleman that actualy designed the 92-F/M-9 Beretta Pistol for the US Government. Although definitely a fan of the 1911 myself and own several of them., the 90 Series Beretta's had some advantages. I will preempt this by saying I am not a fan of the 9mm caliber. However was more than impressed with the pistol in the 40 S&W Caliber! They are a very dependable and durable pistol in the original design. I am not a fan of all the changes that were made to the pistol in the recent years going to a lot of polymer parts. I do like the Picatinny Light Rail for a light on the Frame. However would I buy one of the new ones even in 40 caliber? Probably not! Are they still a fairly good pistol probably so! But I am skeptical when companies start changing a weapon due to cutting costs as stated in the presentation! I equate those comments to "Cutting Quality! But thanks again for the presentation I realy liked and enjoyed it and look forward to others!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-24-2012, 02:31 PM   #3

I really wonder when/if the military will be allowed to use JHP in their sidearms.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Amsdorf,

Probably never! As I understand it, it is against the Geneva Convention agreement!

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #5

Liked 2450 Times on 1436 Posts
Likes Given: 559

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsdorf View Post
I really wonder when/if the military will be allowed to use JHP in their sidearms.
It seems like we are approaching some compromise. The Hague Accords simply state that bullets cannot be soft/open pointed of a design to expand or cause undue suffering.

The US has already been allowed to field Mk262 and M262 mod 1 rounds which feature a 77gr. hollow pointed bullet by Sierra in the M16 family of rifles. Because the bullet has an open tip as part of the design only as a means of increasing accuracy and not specifically designed for expansion, it is allowed. A newer bullet has also been introduced that is lead free and it has disp;ayeddome performance issues in accuracy. This has propmted the USMC to seek a better bullet for their use.

If the precident gets set, then I could see it carry on to the rounds used in sidearms.

An Italian Beretta 92FS was one of the first handguns I bought. It has been 100% reliable, extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot. I'm not a fan of FMJ handgun rounds in any caliber, and am happy that in recent conflicts they let Corpsmen and Medics carry rifles. I have great faith in the Beretta and even 9mm, but not in the ammo they mandate for use in them.

Old 06-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #6

Liked 3232 Times on 1621 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03 View Post
Amsdorf,

Probably never! As I understand it, it is against the Geneva Convention agreement!

Your thinking of the Hague convention of 1899.

Quote:
he Undersigned, Plenipotentiaries of the Powers represented at the International Peace Conference at The Hague, duly authorized to that effect by their Governments, Inspired by the sentiments which found expression in the Declaration of St. Petersburg of the 29th November (11th December), 1868,
Declare as follows:
The Contracting Parties agree to abstain from the use of bullets which expand or flatten easily in the human body, such as bullets with a hard envelope which does not entirely cover the core, or is pierced with incisions.
The present Declaration is only binding for the Contracting Powers in the case of a war between two or more of them.
It shall cease to be binding from the time when, in a war between the Contracting Parties, one of the belligerents is joined by a non-Contracting Power.
It kind of does leave the door open to using non-compliant bullets against terrorists & other "non-contracting powers."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hague_Conventions_%281899_and_1907%29

The Geneva Conventions concerned themselves more with defining and clarifying the status of people involved. POW's, Civilians, Combatant vs. non-Combatant & so forth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geneva_Conventions
NRA Life Member

The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see. - Ayn Rand

Old 06-24-2012, 03:19 PM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

In war you have no reason for JHP since you aren't really worried about harming innocent bystanders. And the Beretta, yes a good gun, is soon to be replaced. The military has set standards for a new pistol that include high capacity and the weapon must be chambered in .45 acp. A few of the guns in the running are the sig 226, Glock 20, and the H&K usp.

Old 06-24-2012, 03:52 PM   #8

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by juststartin5272 View Post
In war you have no reason for JHP since you aren't really worried about harming innocent bystanders. And the Beretta, yes a good gun, is soon to be replaced. The military has set standards for a new pistol that include high capacity and the weapon must be chambered in .45 acp. A few of the guns in the running are the sig 226, Glock 20, and the H&K usp.
You mean Glock 21? Glock 20 is 10mm.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #9

Yes, he meant Glock 21, I'm sure.

Old 06-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

The new weapons review results will be interesting. Anyone got an idea of where the progress on the selection process is at this time.

-- John F. Kennedy