Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Gun Lube???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2012, 06:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 38 Posts

I was wondering about trying the stuff they add to cars engine on Z-max, its good enough for Carrol Shelby and Big Daddy Don ( I can't spell his last name) Garland Garwich...... Any ways its supose to soak into metal micro pours.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:24 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I became more interested in firearm lubrication when I bought my SA NM M1A. I paid a lot of money for this rifle and I wanted to use a quality lubricant for it. I don't care about brand name; I just want something that works very well.

I did some online research on this subject and found some interesting results. Mobile 1 was actually found to be a very good lubricant for firearms. Think about it, the internal moving parts of an internal combustion engine are subjected to more stress, pressure, heat, friction, etc. than a semi-automatic firearm. Someone earlier said they don't like mixing up firearm and automotive engine oils. Many if not most of the "gun" oils out there are just liquid oils with a "gun oil" label on them. The same formula is sold with a different label for use with other equipment. There is really nothing special about them as far as firearm applications go. Sure, as with all products, some work better than others, but just because a product is labeled "gun oil" doesn't mean it provides specialized lubrication for a firearm.

For my M1A I ended up using a synthetic aerosol lubricant made by Energy Release that is designed for cables and chains. It comes out as a liquid and quickly turns to a clear grease. It sticks to metal surfaces under stress and heat better than anything I have tried. I wouldn't hesitate to use Mobile 1 also.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 AM   #23

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I agree.. I use Lucas gun oil. You just made me think about the pure synthetic Lucas that I add to every oil change. Its thick and works great on a lot of different things I've found. On top of that, its what they run in top fuel dragsters which are exposed to far more stress than any normal automobile or firearm foe that matter. Im getting ready to go do a cleaning on my 1911 and considering using it on the slide..

Old 04-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #24

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

I like to use tw25b grease on my slides and mpro7 or breakfree clp on everything else. Works for me.