Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Gun Lube??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/gun-lube-60205/)

upssmann 03-14-2012 05:27 AM

Gun Lube???

What kind of oil do people use to lube or oil ther pistols, like the Slide, ect.....?????

KY1911 03-14-2012 06:34 AM

I use a little of some Lucas Gun Oil I picked up at a local Autozone one day. Doesn't take much and it seems to stay put. Before I got that I had some slide grease ... I'd say its whatever you prefer as long as its not too much. A little goes a long way!

okdonk 03-14-2012 08:08 AM

Mobil 1 synthetic oil.

robocop10mm 03-14-2012 08:59 AM

Uh, gun oil? Mobil 1 5W-30

Ranger-6 03-14-2012 10:03 AM

Primarily, I use Permatex white lithium grease WL-9 on slide and rails, and Hoppe's 9 on all other parts.
Secondarily, I use Tetra gun grease on slide and rails, and 3-in-1 oil on all other parts.

If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it.

Jay 03-14-2012 11:36 AM

Lubriplate 130A was good enough for the M1, and the M1A, and was supplied for those weapons by the US military. I"ve used it on my 1911 slides since the late 1960's without issue. Kellube, and Weapon Shield, suit me just fine for general lubrication of non-sliding surfaces. I am checking into "Frog Lube"..... the reviews sound real good.

I'm not a fan of substituting automotive lubricants/cleaners for those intended for the firearms market. While the ingredients may be the same, the percentages of those ingredients, quite often differ greatly. A good example is a friend who tried to go cheapie, and substitute auto brake cleaner for Gun Scrubber and melted some stocks. I guess I don't see the reasoning behind being able to afford quality firearms, and then to potentially jeopardize those firearms to save a buck on cleaners, or lubricants.

Obviously personal preference. Best of luck with whatever works for you.

mtbfarms 03-14-2012 11:50 AM

Ams oil highest grade synthetic white racing grease. It takes very little and it stays in place.

KY1911 03-14-2012 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay
I'm not a fan of substituting automotive lubricants/cleaners for those intended for the firearms market. While the ingredients may be the same, the percentages of those ingredients, quite often differ greatly. A good example is a friend who tried to go cheapie, and substitute auto brake cleaner for Gun Scrubber and melted some stocks. I guess I don't see the reasoning behind being able to afford quality firearms, and then to potentially jeopardize those firearms to save a buck on cleaners, or lubricants.

+1. Those are my thoughts exactly.

Duck4Glocks 03-14-2012 01:41 PM

I use Hoppes No. 9 gun oil. One drop is too much for each side of the slide. I try to use half a drop but it's hard with the bottle I have. I usually wipe a little off. The first time I used a drop for each side of the slide it got dirty really fast because of all the excess lube. I ended up cleaning all the oil off and re-oiling the slides.

Staestc 03-14-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger-6

If it slides, grease it; if it rotates, oil it.

That is the first time I have ever heard this! It makes complete sense to me and sounds like very good advice! I love this forum. Learn something new every day!