Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > the green guide rod laser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1911 View Post
I once had four men try to drag me out of my house and run me over. I pulled or my handgun and they did not stop. I backed up as I turned on my laser and all of a sudden, like magic, they stopped. If that isn't a deterrent than I don't know what is. I also think a laser is a life saving tool because had it not been there, I would have had to shoot somebody.
I would have shot them regardless..

Old 01-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #22

Id rather not go through all the legal stuff plus have that on my conscience. They were no longer a threat at the instant I pulled my gun, because they stopped the actions that made me pull it in the first place. To me, that's murder.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #23

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1911 View Post
Id rather not go through all the legal stuff plus have that on my conscience. They were no longer a threat at the instant I pulled my gun, because they stopped the actions that made me pull it in the first place. To me, that's murder.
To me it's teaching them a lesson from trying to drag me out of my house on my property. I'd shoot em without even blinking and have no regrets. One less bad guy.

Last edited by USMC_Richey; 01-02-2012 at 08:20 PM.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Let me know if you ever find a green laser guide rod. I think I would like to have it too just for fun. I dont care about the money part. It's my money and my pistol, I can do whatever I want. I have a laser on top of my glock and a CT laser on one of my kimbers. But I dont have a guide rod laser yet and I would put it on one of my 1911's for fun. Good luck!!

HOTTY TODDY!!!!

Old 01-03-2012, 05:24 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC_Richey

To me it's teaching them a lesson from trying to drag me out of my house on my property. I'd shoot em without even blinking and have no regrets. One less bad guy.
Shoot a retreating man and face the consequences. Call it teaching a lesson if you want, but you are probably going to be the one that is taught a lesson, if you wind up facing expert witnesses in court that say the defendants were screaming like girls and running away when you shot and killed or shot and wounded them. Heaven forbid you shoot needlessly and a stray bullet his somebody or somebody elders property. Then teaching a lesson don't sound that good, when drawing itself solved the problem.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:42 AM   #26

When it happened, it was so fast, I might not have taken as long as it felt like to turn on the laser. It is possible maybe they quit as soon as I pulled it, but my adrenaline had the best of me and it all happened so fast Maybe it was dumb luck that I was ever able to even draw my gun. It is kind of a mystery to me what those men were really thinking because I had never met any of them vms don't know their mindstate or train of thoughts. All I do know is I'm glad i didn't kill anybody. I'm glad I stepped back and gained a few feet of distance. Sometimes people get convicted and imprisoned for what clearly should be a justifiable shooting. I'm no expert, and I'm glad i didn't have to convince a jury not to lock me up. Just my own personal opinion. On the other hand, there are all some bad guys on the lose. That is, if the incident didn't make them reconsider some of their lifes decisions.

Old 01-03-2012, 10:40 PM   #27

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfeman1911
When it happened, it was so fast, I might not have taken as long as it felt like to turn on the laser. It is possible maybe they quit as soon as I pulled it, but my adrenaline had the best of me and it all happened so fast Maybe it was dumb luck that I was ever able to even draw my gun. It is kind of a mystery to me what those men were really thinking because I had never met any of them vms don't know their mindstate or train of thoughts. All I do know is I'm glad i didn't kill anybody. I'm glad I stepped back and gained a few feet of distance. Sometimes people get convicted and imprisoned for what clearly should be a justifiable shooting. I'm no expert, and I'm glad i didn't have to convince a jury not to lock me up. Just my own personal opinion. On the other hand, there are all some bad guys on the lose. That is, if the incident didn't make them reconsider some of their lifes decisions.
Wolfman, you are a wise man and did the right thing. I hope if I am ever faced with the situation you were in that I respond with the restraint you showed. Sure some of us might like to prove our manhood by blowing away a retreating BG, but the fact is the firearm should be used to stop the threat, not enforce vigilante justice. I can guarantee that the enemies of the 2nd amendment take advantage of stories of misuse of our rights, and the fact is that I don't know of a single jurisdiction that that allows you to kill someone once the threat is gone.

As for lasers, I don't like them but I have one on my home defense weapon because it feel it gives me an advantage in shooting in the dark if I choose to use it. I occasionally might use it at an indoor range for practice, but 90 percent of my practice with that gun is without the laser, and I shoot it a lot. Everyone should make their own choices on personal defense, and questions on these forums should be addressed and answered with demeaning the person asking the question.

I have never seen a green laser (just to keep on topic). ;-)

Old 01-04-2012, 12:35 AM   #28

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

As to lasers, don't like them, don't use them. Another gadget to fail you at the worst possible moment. Another thing to think about about when you don't have time to think. Just the other day at the range, I was in a booth next to guy with a laser. He was shooting much tighter patterns than I was. That laser was putting him on target every time. But if you watched us shoot, you'd note that I got off three shots to his one. And while my shots weren't centered in the X ring every time, they were more than good enough to deal with a threat at short range. He was simply putting too much conscious thought into getting that laser centered every time before he pulled the trigger. I see this all the time. Also, have you ever seen a person who is accustomed to shooting with nothing but a laser, if the laser quits working? Switches get dirty, batteries go dead, things happen. Anyway, if you see them draw and attempt to fire you'll see them waste precious seconds trying to get the laser to come on. Seconds they may not have. Not having a laser, a light, or other gadgets on my gun comes under the KISS principal. Don't want it, don't need it. Many will disagree. That's fine. Just my opinion. Do what suits you.

In regards to shooting the bad guys after they back off, this is a very gray area. The law in most jurisdictions is quite clear, you aren't justified to use deadly force unless your opponent represents a clear and present danger. So are you justified in shooting them in the situation described? I'm guessing most prosecutors and juries will say no. On the other hand there's the argument of how do you know when they no longer pose a threat? Who's to say that they didn't back off to give themselves the opportunity to get to a weapon of their own. Or possibly they only pretend to back off in order to make you relax your guard. Personally I think that you and you alone are qualified to judge what is and isn't a threat when your life is on the line. No one that wast there in your shoes can say what you should or shouldn't have done. I'm just not sure a jury would see it that way. This is the moral dilemma that everyone faces when they make the decision to arm themselves. I tend to subscribe to the idea that its better to be judged by twelve than carried by six. If I'm in a situation and I feel the least bit threatened, I'm going to act and worry about the legal consequences later. Doubly so if my wife or my children's lives are in danger. Of course, we all have to temper that with the simple fact that no one can truly say how they will react in a life or death situation, until it actually happens.

Old 01-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #29

Personally, I think my situation was on the verge of life threatening, with the possibility of it turning life threatening real fast. Had I felt I was going to die, I would never hesitate to shoot anybody