Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Grease/oil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Grease/oil

My Sig Sauer came with a small amount of Mil Comm TW25B. I like this oil because it comes out in a cream consistency and then spreads thin into a film. This keeps the application precise and not messy. However, I can't find it in any stores around here and its expensive online. I've heard that there really are no specific "gun" oils and that I can even use a motor oil. Do you guys know of where I kmight find TW25B and if this is true about using any oil? I just prefer nonliquid oils and I don't want something that gums up my gun either. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-16-2010, 01:14 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

TW25B is almost $20 for 4oz at Midway. But that'll last an awful long time, so I'd look at it as a pretty modest investment if you like it so much.

I use Slip 2000 EWL myself. It's a bit less expensive, but this stuff is all about what you like. A $5 bottle of Hoppe's will work just fine, and you can find it at any Walmart.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:34 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

ive used breakfree for as long as i can remember. its worked flawless from ot humid to hot dry to severe cold in dusty and dirty conditions as well. i think oil for guns is pretty much a personal choice and very opinion oriented.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:40 AM   #4

I do also own Break Free CLP. Do ijust apply it once to clean, wipe it off, then reapply a thin coat to lubricate? The bottle doesn't go into much detail.

Old 07-16-2010, 03:54 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

i have always used it by aplying liberally letting the parts sit for about an hour then wiping it off with a rag. ive always kept my firearms with an extremely light coat of clp. once things are clean then its a light coat and wipe. i use clp to clean and for lube on the parts.

if i leave easy to see fingerprints i used too much and it needs to be wiped more. other folks arent happy less their firearms are leaking more oil than a well under obama's control. and there are many in between of opinions.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:07 AM   #6

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I have 4 Sigs and they get the same lube as all my other guns - Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Clean with Hoppes # 9, lube with Mobil 1, shoot, repeat. It's easy to over think this and folks will sell you all sorts of products "guaranteed" to be the best - but I'm a fan of simple, effective, and cheap...

Old 07-16-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

break free is worthless.

I use grease on the high friction areas and oil on all others.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:25 PM   #8

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
break free is worthless.

I use grease on the high friction areas and oil on all others.
Just plain old wheel bearing grease?

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 07-16-2010, 12:48 PM   #9

Liked 127 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Plain old molybdenum wheel bearing grease, $3 a tub at Oreillys.

Grease where it slides, CLP where it rotates.

I could make a list of a bunch of guns i have, or "have", or wish I had. Why would one feel compelled to provide that infornation freely? Do you feel the need to show off? Is it some immature game of oneupsmanship?

Why do you feel it necessary to list your guns?