Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Grease/oil (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/grease-oil-29357/)

NewGunz 07-15-2010 08:44 PM

Grease/oil

My Sig Sauer came with a small amount of Mil Comm TW25B. I like this oil because it comes out in a cream consistency and then spreads thin into a film. This keeps the application precise and not messy. However, I can't find it in any stores around here and its expensive online. I've heard that there really are no specific "gun" oils and that I can even use a motor oil. Do you guys know of where I kmight find TW25B and if this is true about using any oil? I just prefer nonliquid oils and I don't want something that gums up my gun either. Thanks.

sweeper22 07-16-2010 01:14 AM

TW25B is almost $20 for 4oz at Midway. But that'll last an awful long time, so I'd look at it as a pretty modest investment if you like it so much.

I use Slip 2000 EWL myself. It's a bit less expensive, but this stuff is all about what you like. A $5 bottle of Hoppe's will work just fine, and you can find it at any Walmart.

JonM 07-16-2010 02:34 AM

ive used breakfree for as long as i can remember. its worked flawless from ot humid to hot dry to severe cold in dusty and dirty conditions as well. i think oil for guns is pretty much a personal choice and very opinion oriented.

NewGunz 07-16-2010 03:40 AM

I do also own Break Free CLP. Do ijust apply it once to clean, wipe it off, then reapply a thin coat to lubricate? The bottle doesn't go into much detail.

JonM 07-16-2010 03:54 AM

i have always used it by aplying liberally letting the parts sit for about an hour then wiping it off with a rag. ive always kept my firearms with an extremely light coat of clp. once things are clean then its a light coat and wipe. i use clp to clean and for lube on the parts.

if i leave easy to see fingerprints i used too much and it needs to be wiped more. other folks arent happy less their firearms are leaking more oil than a well under obama's control. and there are many in between of opinions.

NGIB 07-16-2010 11:07 AM

I have 4 Sigs and they get the same lube as all my other guns - Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. Clean with Hoppes # 9, lube with Mobil 1, shoot, repeat. It's easy to over think this and folks will sell you all sorts of products "guaranteed" to be the best - but I'm a fan of simple, effective, and cheap...

cpttango30 07-16-2010 12:14 PM

break free is worthless.

I use grease on the high friction areas and oil on all others.

Jpyle 07-16-2010 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cpttango30 (Post 315796)
break free is worthless.

I use grease on the high friction areas and oil on all others.

Just plain old wheel bearing grease?

willfully armed 07-16-2010 12:48 PM

Plain old molybdenum wheel bearing grease, $3 a tub at Oreillys.

Grease where it slides, CLP where it rotates.