Grain preference in .45acp?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Grain preference in .45acp?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2012, 05:20 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 292 Times on 252 Posts

Default Grain preference in .45acp?

So I buy a couple boxes of ammo for each caliber of gun I own (.380, 9mm, .45) every payday, to stock up for shooting. And still being new enough to handguns I just ask for what I know... Which is a box of FMJ for each. Something I just noticed is that I have two different types for my .45, the difference being weight. I have a few boxes of what seems to be the standard (from online research) 230gr and one box of 185gr.

Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.

I assume it obvious that I probably shouldn't mix and match them in a single load/mag, but should I consider the 185 too inferior and/or possibly harmful for either pistol?

All boxes I buy are Remington UMC. They seem to be cheap enough for purchase, but not so much so that I fear them being "dirty" or harmful to my firearms.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5916 Times on 3088 Posts
Likes Given: 415

I only shoot 230 grain in my 45s. 185 wont hurt your gun

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 AM   #3

I figured not, but I know some manufacturers have prefered ammo types, not listed anywhere officially, but found by avid shooters through much trial and error. This is why I posed the question. I'm still trying to learn more about all this, but it's much more involved than I had anticipated.

Old 01-08-2012, 05:48 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 490

Different grains won't hurt anything. Are you sure the 185gr is FMJ? JHP rounds are typically loaded at that weight.

Regarding mixing, unless your particular gun is picky about what it eats there is no reason that it cannot be done. As a matter of fact some will load a staggered assortment of FMJ and JHP rounds. If the initial double tap with hollow points doesn't cancel the threat a 230gr FMJ to the cranium seals the deal. Also, clogging issues with heavy clothing or some sort of barrier may render a hollow point less effective than a solid round, it's easier to squeeze off an extra shot or two than it is to reload a fresh mag.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 01-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
So I buy a couple boxes of ammo for each caliber of gun I own (.380, 9mm, .45) every payday, to stock up for shooting. And still being new enough to handguns I just ask for what I know... Which is a box of FMJ for each. Something I just noticed is that I have two different types for my .45, the difference being weight. I have a few boxes of what seems to be the standard (from online research) 230gr and one box of 185gr.

Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.!
For range practice I tend to buy what's cheap, stocking up on sales (paying attention to what the pistols like; the revolvers will eat anything). I don't like most of the Russian ammo and rarely buy that (never for the pistols). For self defense i pay a lot more attention to the ctg - going to the extent of looking at ballistic gel test reports and so forth. For a pistol I like to run a couple hundred rounds of my preferred SD loads through it to make sure they feed and eject properly, and after that I tend to stick to one or two specific loads for each pistol (generally choosing between Federal HS, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady and Golden Saber).

Old 01-08-2012, 06:00 AM   #6

By the way, the lighter bullets tend to produce less felt recoil, and thus for range work there's an advantage in them. That said, some of your range time should be with ctgs that closely relate to you other intended use of the guns: SD, hunting, etc.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:01 AM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21985 Times on 12396 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

230gr fmj are the most common, but i shoot the 185gr in my 1911. some of the 1911's don't like the 185gr jhp because of the feed throat, just some. some people polish them so they will feed.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:14 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 405 Times on 240 Posts
Likes Given: 1

[/QUOTE]Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.

I assume it obvious that I probably shouldn't mix and match them in a single load/mag, but should I consider the 185 too inferior and/or possibly harmful for either pistol?

All boxes I buy are Remington UMC. They seem to be cheap enough for purchase, but not so much so that I fear them being "dirty" or harmful to my firearms.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Grain is the weight of the projectile part of the round. Meaning that a 230 grain bullet is 45 grains heavier than 185 grain. This can effect the feel of shooting the rounds. Grain mainly comes in to play when selecting your personal defense round and design. You should be able, without problem, stagger the rounds in a magazine to see the effects the different rounds feel. The part of ammo buying you need to be careful with is buying plus (+) or plus plus(++) rounds. This means that they've manufactured it with more powder than a standard round and may cause issues with your gun. Your safety manual should be able to tell you if you can shoot these rounds through your firearm.

My pistols, however, I always kept by me.
Jesse James

Old 01-08-2012, 06:36 AM   #9

Good info and insights. Well I'll shoot 'em all and see if I feel any difference between or find any preferences.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I shoot 230gr Win & Fed at the range. I carry 165gr +p Pow'r Ball, followed by 230gr Ranger Bonded.

But my XDm seems to digest everything marked 45auto.