Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   Semi-Auto Handguns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/)
-   -   Grain preference in .45acp? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f15/grain-preference-45acp-55012/)

BeyondTheBox 01-08-2012 04:20 AM

Grain preference in .45acp?

So I buy a couple boxes of ammo for each caliber of gun I own (.380, 9mm, .45) every payday, to stock up for shooting. And still being new enough to handguns I just ask for what I know... Which is a box of FMJ for each. Something I just noticed is that I have two different types for my .45, the difference being weight. I have a few boxes of what seems to be the standard (from online research) 230gr and one box of 185gr.

Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.

I assume it obvious that I probably shouldn't mix and match them in a single load/mag, but should I consider the 185 too inferior and/or possibly harmful for either pistol?

All boxes I buy are Remington UMC. They seem to be cheap enough for purchase, but not so much so that I fear them being "dirty" or harmful to my firearms.

Thanks!

JonM 01-08-2012 04:32 AM

I only shoot 230 grain in my 45s. 185 wont hurt your gun

BeyondTheBox 01-08-2012 04:41 AM

I figured not, but I know some manufacturers have prefered ammo types, not listed anywhere officially, but found by avid shooters through much trial and error. This is why I posed the question. I'm still trying to learn more about all this, but it's much more involved than I had anticipated.

Jpyle 01-08-2012 04:48 AM

Different grains won't hurt anything. Are you sure the 185gr is FMJ? JHP rounds are typically loaded at that weight.

Regarding mixing, unless your particular gun is picky about what it eats there is no reason that it cannot be done. As a matter of fact some will load a staggered assortment of FMJ and JHP rounds. If the initial double tap with hollow points doesn't cancel the threat a 230gr FMJ to the cranium seals the deal. Also, clogging issues with heavy clothing or some sort of barrier may render a hollow point less effective than a solid round, it's easier to squeeze off an extra shot or two than it is to reload a fresh mag.

mes227 01-08-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox (Post 670686)
So I buy a couple boxes of ammo for each caliber of gun I own (.380, 9mm, .45) every payday, to stock up for shooting. And still being new enough to handguns I just ask for what I know... Which is a box of FMJ for each. Something I just noticed is that I have two different types for my .45, the difference being weight. I have a few boxes of what seems to be the standard (from online research) 230gr and one box of 185gr.

Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.!

For range practice I tend to buy what's cheap, stocking up on sales (paying attention to what the pistols like; the revolvers will eat anything). I don't like most of the Russian ammo and rarely buy that (never for the pistols). For self defense i pay a lot more attention to the ctg - going to the extent of looking at ballistic gel test reports and so forth. For a pistol I like to run a couple hundred rounds of my preferred SD loads through it to make sure they feed and eject properly, and after that I tend to stick to one or two specific loads for each pistol (generally choosing between Federal HS, Speer Gold Dot, Hornady and Golden Saber).

mes227 01-08-2012 05:00 AM

By the way, the lighter bullets tend to produce less felt recoil, and thus for range work there's an advantage in them. That said, some of your range time should be with ctgs that closely relate to you other intended use of the guns: SD, hunting, etc.

Axxe55 01-08-2012 05:01 AM

230gr fmj are the most common, but i shoot the 185gr in my 1911. some of the 1911's don't like the 185gr jhp because of the feed throat, just some. some people polish them so they will feed.

Wiseman3 01-08-2012 05:14 AM

[/QUOTE]Is there any reason I shouldn't shoot the 185s? I'll be shooting them from a Glock 30 and Hi-Point JHP.

I assume it obvious that I probably shouldn't mix and match them in a single load/mag, but should I consider the 185 too inferior and/or possibly harmful for either pistol?

All boxes I buy are Remington UMC. They seem to be cheap enough for purchase, but not so much so that I fear them being "dirty" or harmful to my firearms.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

Grain is the weight of the projectile part of the round. Meaning that a 230 grain bullet is 45 grains heavier than 185 grain. This can effect the feel of shooting the rounds. Grain mainly comes in to play when selecting your personal defense round and design. You should be able, without problem, stagger the rounds in a magazine to see the effects the different rounds feel. The part of ammo buying you need to be careful with is buying plus (+) or plus plus(++) rounds. This means that they've manufactured it with more powder than a standard round and may cause issues with your gun. Your safety manual should be able to tell you if you can shoot these rounds through your firearm.

BeyondTheBox 01-08-2012 05:36 AM

Good info and insights. Well I'll shoot 'em all and see if I feel any difference between or find any preferences.

sweeper22 01-08-2012 05:18 PM

I shoot 230gr Win & Fed at the range. I carry 165gr +p Pow'r Ball, followed by 230gr Ranger Bonded.

But my XDm seems to digest everything marked 45auto.