A good starter 9mm - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

A good starter 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2012, 08:29 PM   #21
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2884 Times on 1582 Posts
Likes Given: 810

You are looking at pistol to train with not to carry on duty. Think of something that will compliment your duty weapon as in an off duty or bug. There you would be carrying concealed. Several mfgs now have compact or sub compact pistols that take extended magazines. A 9mm would be cheaper to shoot and would make a good off duty however a 40S&W would probably be the caliber you are issued. Find out if you can what the issue weapon is where you would be going to work. If it is Glock look at the G26 and G27. Same with the other weapons. Some police departments also issue bugs. Find out what the policies are. Some trainers would rather train someone that has not shot before so they dont have to overcome bad training or habits.

Old 04-13-2012, 02:52 PM   #22

I recommend something reliable, ergonomic, and accurate. My top picks are:

Beretta 92fs : about $600, all metal frame, razor sharp accuracy, low recoil, great resale value.( Taurus has a clone that really is just as good and is 100 cheaper, but will have greater depreciation as well.

Springfield Xd: $475, lightweight polymer frame, amazing feel/ergonomics, extremely reliable, good resale, good price. Although there are no manual safety or decocking features..

Stoeger Couger: $400 solid little shooter with an all steel frame, very low recoil, very accurate.

I also recommend buying used, as you can get much better prices for firearms this way.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:42 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgar_hands
I recommend something reliable, ergonomic, and accurate. My top picks are:

Beretta 92fs : about $600, all metal frame, razor sharp accuracy, low recoil, great resale value.( Taurus has a clone that really is just as good and is 100 cheaper, but will have greater depreciation as well.

Springfield Xd: $475, lightweight polymer frame, amazing feel/ergonomics, extremely reliable, good resale, good price. Although there are no manual safety or decocking features..

Stoeger Couger: $400 solid little shooter with an all steel frame, very low recoil, very accurate.

I also recommend buying used, as you can get much better prices for firearms this way.
I've been wanting to get a .9mm just can't decide on what to get. I've kinda narrowed it down to either a beretta 92fs,walther ppq or a cz 75.

Old 04-14-2012, 03:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005

I've been wanting to get a .9mm just can't decide on what to get. I've kinda narrowed it down to either a beretta 92fs,walther ppq or a cz 75.
I have all three. I didn't recommend the PPQ earlier because the MSRP of the PPQ is $740, I got mine for 699+tax. It just seemed steep for a first 9mm.

Go with the one that feels best to hold. For me the PPQ has the best ergonomics. I love the PPQ but I must say compared to the other two, it has some serious muzzle flip, which isn't necessarily bad if you know how to control it. The Cz 75 is a great choice as well. It's accurate, feels good to hold, very reliable and you can usually find one for a fair price. If personally had to choose one of the three,I would go with the Walther PPQ.I forgot to mention the PPQ is the most accurate polymer I have ever shot.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulgar_hands

I have all three. I didn't recommend the PPQ earlier because the MSRP of the PPQ is $740, I got mine for 699+tax. It just seemed steep for a first 9mm.

Go with the one that feels best to hold. For me the PPQ has the best ergonomics. I love the PPQ but I must say compared to the other two, it has some serious muzzle flip, which isn't necessarily bad if you know how to control it. The Cz 75 is a great choice as well. It's accurate, feels good to hold, very reliable and you can usually find one for a fair price. If personally had to choose one of the three,I would go with the Walther PPQ.I forgot to mention the PPQ is the most accurate polymer I have ever shot.
Or would you spend a few hundred more and get a Sig or Hk

Old 04-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #26

Liked 493 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep it simple. Either Glock or M&P. Dependable right out of the box, in your price range. I've got M&P's so I lean in their favor. Not gonna get into the caliber debate, like arguing who makes the best pickup truck.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #27

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn
Keep it simple. Either Glock or M&P. Dependable right out of the box, in your price range. I've got M&P's so I lean in their favor. Not gonna get into the caliber debate, like arguing who makes the best pickup truck.
I already have an M&P40 I just wanted to get something different.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:28 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by john2005

Or would you spend a few hundred more and get a Sig or Hk
I've had a Sig p226. Really is a great gun. I sold mine because I never got used to the grip. Although ive never owned an h&k I've handled and shot them, and the Walther PPQ is every bit as premium as Sig or H&k. Right now the PPQ is my favorite poly-9mm. Go to a gun shop that has a PPQ and handle it, you see what I mean when I say every bit as premium. Most people don't know about this great little pistol, or when they think of Walther their .380's come to mind. All that stuff about the PPQ's outstanding trigger are true. In terms of ergonomics, I have a hard time going back to my 1911 after shooting the PPQ, it feels that good to hold. Like I said the muzzle flip is the only issue, but that's with any polymer (minus the px4 storm) but I f your already shooting a .40 then this is a non issue for you.

Old 04-15-2012, 06:09 AM   #29

You can get a PPQ through Bud's for a little over $500. Like $523 delivered to you FFL.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpritchard0001
You can get a PPQ through Bud's for a little over $500. Like $523 delivered to you FFL.
At that price, the PPQ is a steal. I cannot think of a better 9mm for that price or even hundreds of dollars more. Still, at the end of the day the pistol you choose should be YOU like best in terms of feel a features and price. Although I tend stay away from anything that has an msrp lower than 400, in those cases you get what you pay for (look at Hi-point).