Good self defense round / 45 ACP
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense round / 45 ACP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2008, 02:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Good self defense round / 45 ACP

I will have a new Beretta P4-Storm in a 45 caliber next week and I have been checking the internet supply stores for ammo for this baby. I'm not really familiar with 45 ammo and there are so many types of loads to choose from.

230 grain? 200 grain? 165 grain? What FPS? Brand name? I want a round that will do the job if need be God forbid, but I don't want the bullet over penetrating either and causing mass distruction. I am totally lost so educate me please.

Also, what is a good practise round. Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by Tom the roofer; 02-24-2008 at 02:16 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-24-2008, 02:34 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For defensive use I like the Remington 185 grain JHP +P or a Georgia Arms 230 grain Gold Dot. For practice I use a 230 FMJ, again Georgia Arms (www.georgia-arms.com). G.A. now has a 185 FMJ that I am told is a lighter recoiling load for target use, but I haven't tried it yet. G.A. is close to me so I go pick it up at the plant, but if I was going to have to pay shipping I would just go to Wally World and get Winchester white box ammo.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:35 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My man, you are subjecting all of us to a flurry of opinions by asking this...can't wait to see what my comrades say.
IMO, a 230 grain JHP (NOT +P) is the only way to go. The reputable manufacturers all have good specimens. Fed Hydra Shoks are a good choice here.
FMJ for practice, all factory ammo.
+P (again, IMO) are a waste of money, and more importantly time. Time to fire a second shot. No such thing as that "one shot stop", follow ups are much easier with non +P and the performance may not be worth the recoil.

Now, the important thing. Practice, practice. Need to run a few boxes of your selected service ammo through the gun after it is broken in to: 1) determine if they will function reliably, 2) group, 3) determine if point of aim vs point of impact is different from your other practice (FMJ) ammo.

You choice, just my opinion.
regards

Last edited by hillbilly68; 02-24-2008 at 04:10 AM.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:21 AM   #4

+1 on 230 grain JHP. 230 grain ball is readily available and make for good practice rounds, but makes poor defense rounds in the sue happy world we live in. A quality JHP will expand to approximately 1" in diameter and penetrate not much over 12". I personally like the Remington Golden Sabre, but it's purely an individual choice. Just remember that the safety of you and your family depend on that ammo, so don't be cheap.

"The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us“ ...... Patrick Henry March 23, 1775

Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. It helped big time. I'm going to Walmart today and see what they have for practice rounds. I'll get the best of the best for defense rounds.
Tom

Old 02-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the roofer View Post
Thanks for the info guys. It helped big time. I'm going to Walmart today and see what they have for practice rounds. I'll get the best of the best for defense rounds.
Tom
Tom, you'll want the CCI Blazer Brass the they carry for the range and 230 gr. Hydrashocks for defense use.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:14 PM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Tom, you'll want the CCI Blazer Brass the they carry for the range and 230 gr. Hydrashocks for defense use.
I picked up 150 rounds of CCI Blazer Brass 230 gr FMJ last night. I'm putting the cart before the horse. The pistol comes in Thursday.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use .45 ACP 185gr Remington or Federal for practice and home defense/personal protection.
I only practice what I shoot.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:53 AM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint Rock View Post
For defensive use I like the Remington 185 grain JHP +P or a Georgia Arms 230 grain Gold Dot. For practice I use a 230 FMJ, again Georgia Arms (www.georgia-arms.com). G.A. now has a 185 FMJ that I am told is a lighter recoiling load for target use, but I haven't tried it yet. G.A. is close to me so I go pick it up at the plant, but if I was going to have to pay shipping I would just go to Wally World and get Winchester white box ammo.
I've been using georgia arms ammo for almost twenty years. Their 45 acp is very smooth and accurate; I use it in my Colts and Wilsons. I usually meet georgia arms on their gun show circuits to save on shipping costs; it also allows me to turn in brass for credit toward my ammo purchases. For defensive ammo; their Gold Dot loaded cartridges uses new Starline Brass.