Good self defense caliber? - Page 7
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2008, 12:10 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dgunsmith View Post
Still in use by a few Departments, not a good CCW choice for most due to recoil, flash and noise level.

JMHO
Flash and noise level are EXACTLY what you want after you start putting bullets downrange. You wanna scare that lil pissant mugger so bad he pees his pants and can't shoot back straight.

Concealed carry is all about size & comfort. Find the proper pistol to hide on your person that other people can't figure out that you have.

Old 06-08-2008, 12:44 AM   #62

Liked 72 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by watfreedom View Post
most people say for defense go .380 or above but i would put skill and tactics over caliber anyday. if you want to be able to defend against fully armored bandits you would need to fire supersonic. i feel like you can never go wrong with 7.62x39 caliber.

Can't argue with that People use what is most comfortable or easy to obtain for the most part, and then after spending time in shooting sports they refine their choice as to their favorites.

My top Ten list of Home Defense Toys...
10. Double barreled 12-gauge shotgun sawed off to one inch over legal limits using number 8 shot.
9. Short barreled pump 12 ga. with rock salt loaded inna first shell followed by number 8 shot in the next few
8. Any solid performing 9mm pistol. I favor glocks & Star Model 30's (15+1 capacity).
7. Any solid performing 10 mm or .45 pistol
6. Grendel Model 30/31 pistol in .22 Magnum. The .22 Mag has freakish firepower at close range and the Grendel holds 30 rounds...throw in a laser and someone is fulla holes.
5. Claymore Mines...do I really need to explain? Get permission from the Armoury Sgt. first...
4. One "Rolling Thunder" 12 ga belt-fed machine shotgun. (Class 3, baybee!!)
3. Calico Liberty 9mm with 100 round magazine.
2. Calico M-110 Pistol w/ 100 rd mag, with laser & flashlight on a twinrail.
1. My Tec-9 (AB-10 version) with 50 round mags stays under my pillow. Green laser is wonderful for day or night firing inside the home.

Did I mention that Sgt. Tackleberry (Police Academy) was my hero?? My other Hero is Sledge Hammer. (1/2 hr show of the same name.)

Old 06-20-2008, 02:48 PM   #63

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Meet Huey, Duey and Luey... GASP ! ! the dreaded 'over penetrating' milsurp 'police killer'. It's solidly built, can be had for cheap. Lots of milsurp ammo available also for cheap, which will let you shoot a lot.....

....... theeeeeeeeen............... load up some home defence ammo for the same gun ! ! ! Problem solved. Fired bullet on the left is the Sierra 85 gr. soft point in .308 dia. Fire bullet on the right is the Sierra, 125 gr. HP #2020. Both were fired the same day, from 7 yards into well soaked phone books. 85 grainer was in the last book... 125 HP penetrated about 3" ... viola !

Pistols are CZ52's... cal. 7.62X25.

Last edited by 4rum; 06-20-2008 at 04:23 PM.

Old 06-21-2008, 02:13 PM   #64
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default SD Cal

1. Personal preference - bigger the better, if given the choice at the time

2. If it is in the drawer or under the carseat when you need it - might as well have a rock. Pick something you will carry

3. All the above is nice info but regardless of what you have, it is hits that win the day

"Can't find where history has ever recorded a death in a gunfight from the noise"

Old 06-21-2008, 03:16 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
.... Another thing, most people believe they can shoot better while in a firefight than they actually can, due to unpressured casual practice. When in a firefight - it's imperative to know that adrenaline will transform great target shooters into a scared person lucky to even be able to place a bullet on target - much less precise placement. (Ed.)
Yes, and no. Some people will; and some people won't. The questions arise:

'What are you practicing for?'

'What attributes do you emphasize while you are practicing?'

I'll agree that most people practice with a firearm in order to become a better shot; but, that's not all people. Some gunmen actually practice marksmanship AND gunfighting.

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between practice and being engaged in a firefight. Anybody that's ever been a firefight and says he was able to deliberately practice exact placement and felt no fear is a LIAR! (Ed.)
If that remark were universally true, then, I've wasted a lot of my training time over the past 30 years and many thousands of dollars' worth of ammunition. The question remains; 'What have you trained for?'

Pavlovian response is, after all, acquired behavior. At some point in the training regimen fear should become a non-sequitur. In the right frame-of-mind, 'shot placement' (Of which I share an identical viewpoint with you) equates to primary target focus.

Now, if we could only get those damned targets to stand still and cooperate!

Old 06-21-2008, 04:07 PM   #66

Quote:
There's a HUGE difference between practice and being engaged in firefight. Anybody that's ever been a firefight and says they was able to deliberately practice exact placement and felt no fear is a LIER!
Thats making a huge assumption on your part . O and BTW it's LIAR not LIER .

What you're talking about isn't necessarily a product of training anyway but more of a state of mind .

I doubt most people feel fear once they have committed and are actually engaged in the fight .

The whole fight or flight thing is usually a rather small window . If they can't conquer their fears they will flee if they can the fight commences and they wont have time for fear .

While not a gun fight I recall as a small child fearing a physical fight when I saw it coming however once it was forced on me I became engrossed in the event and felt no fear .

Just as people have various skills so it is with fighting despite society trying to neuter Males and remove the ability and perhaps yes even the desire for combat .

We are the descendants of generation upon generation of survivors of adversity and yes combat , I wouldn't be so sure that the thought or even actual engagement in a gun fight scares everyone of us .

Old 06-22-2008, 08:31 PM   #67

.45 acp or .40 sw to extremely well known calibers very capable of stopping a threat asap

IN A WORLD OF COMPROMISE SOME DON'T H&K
GOD BLESS THE SECOND AMENDMENT :D :D
GOD BLESS THE NRA :D :D
NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
VOTE PRO GUN ONLY
SUPPORT THE SECOND AMENDMENT

Old 07-05-2008, 01:31 AM   #68

Buy a good 1911 in 45 acp and learn to shoot it well. You will find it fun, rewarding and comforting for a lifetime.