Good self defense caliber? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The bullet placement is vital when shooting ANY caliber,however you'll hear it most often from people trying to justifyshooting a marginal cartridge when there are MUCH better cartridges out there for instant 1 shot stops. When using a cartridge that's barely above reccomended size/bullet weight/energy, precise bullet placement is a LOT more critical.
Another thing,most people believe they can shoot better while in a firefight than they actually can,due to unpressured casual practice. When in a firefight-it's imperitive to know that adrenlin will transform great target shooters into a scared person lucky to even be able to place a bullet on target-much less precise placement. There's a HUGE difference between practice and being engaged in firefight. Anybody that's ever been a firefight and says they was able to deliberately practice exact placement and felt no fear is a LIER!
Good answer !! Can you tell me what calibers the term "Spray and Pray" would apply the most to, during actual encounters ?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:34 PM   #52

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepJohnson View Post
Really? The range I go to only prohibits rifles over .22LR. They even have a S&W 500Mag to rent.
The range I go to will let you shoot anything up to and including a 50 BMG. They even have one you can rent! However, no reload rounds allowed.

I don't know enough about pistols to make a call here. I have only recently started using pistols. I can tell you that I have a .32 within grabs for home protection. My buddies who CC use either a 9mm or a .45.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:10 PM   #53

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I didn't want to make a mistake with caliber choice so I bought a 45ACP, 9mm, couple of 38 specials and a couple of 32ACP. I also bought a .380 but it broke. I have a 7.62X39 for backup.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:40 PM   #54

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom the roofer View Post
I didn't want to make a mistake with caliber choice so I bought a 45ACP, 9mm, couple of 38 specials and a couple of 32ACP. I also bought a .380 but it broke. I have a 7.62X39 for backup.
Yeah, but what are you gonna put 'em in? Slingshots are $10 at wal mart.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #55

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fapprez View Post
Yeah, but what are you gonna put 'em in? Slingshots are $10 at wal mart.
HAHA I already have a slingshot. Those 45's sure do leave a welt.

I have the guns to put the ammo in. chuckle chuckle

Tom :D

Old 03-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #56

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Spray and pray is more of a mindset and lack of proper training as opposed to actual model/caliber/cartridge or occurs when panic takes over thought processes. On average,the larger magazine capicity coupled with lack of extensive training invites "spray and pray". Since a lot of duty/defense pistols are 9mm,it is most often mentioned.

Old 03-11-2008, 01:52 AM   #57

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Spray and pray is more of a mindset and lack of proper training as opposed to actual model/caliber/cartridge or occurs when panic takes over thought processes. On average,the larger magazine capicity coupled with lack of extensive training invites "spray and pray". Since a lot of duty/defense pistols are 9mm,it is most often mentioned.
Thanks for your clarification.

I often wonder why so many with 9mms preach so much about the importance of shot placement, but yet many insists on having double stacked magazines capacities of 18 or more rounds. Why is this ?

Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #58
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2743 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 231

9's have a lot of rounds because they can. You can find 9mm pistols with 8 round mags or 30+ round mags. The 8 rounders are very flat and concealable. The 30's are crazy long but work. It is all in the mindset. If you think you might get into a prolonged gunfight, more is better. STI sells alot of 9mm 2011's in Israel. I guess if I lived in a war zone I would want a bunch of bullets, too.

Many folks consider the 9mm to be the MINIMUM self defense caliber. I would say minimum is the .380. Yes shot placement is critical with the .380 but it is VERY important with any handgun caliber. MANY people have shrugged off peripheral hits from .40 and larger calibers. MANY have dropped from well placed .22's.

My personal mantra is carry the largest caliber you can shoot WELL. If you are able to chew up the center of the target with a 9 but are shooting patterns rather than groups with a .40, 9mm is for you.

Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM   #59

most people say for defense go .380 or above but i would put skill and tactics over caliber anyday. if you want to be able to defend against fully armored bandits you would need to fire supersonic. i feel like you can never go wrong with 7.62x39 caliber.

Old 05-31-2008, 03:33 AM   #60

The S&W .40 cal is an ideal round. It's less recoil than a .45 and that is the cal. that most Texas DPS uses now.