Good self defense caliber? - Page 5
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2008, 08:29 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
Idealistically, if the choice becomes one of "dead or alive" than money should be no object. Realistically however:

Technically speaking, it's just me; no family or property in the [current] equation. And there is a sliding scale of "cheap guns, no guns, or no food".

Most concrete, decisive advise i've gotten so far, maybe I should take it..

In all seriousness, is this still true in a condo complex when the neighbors are a standard 4-inch interior wall away? I may have to give this consideration.
A 1911 .45 has a LOT more stopping power than a 9mm, and the penetration isn't that bad. Your neighbors would NOT be endangered by the .45.

If you live in an apartment or condo with neighbors a very thin wall away, I would NOT recommend a 12-guage shotgun with buckshot loads. If you feel an absolute need for a shotgun, #4 birdshot is plenty effective at in-home defense ranges, and you don't have to worry about taking out the neighbor's kid.

In most situations outside the home, buckshot would be the best all around choice.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:38 AM   #42
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Self defense is a lot more then just owning a weapon. Before you begin thinking about a firearm for self defense you should concider what it will be used for and that is taking another human life(in most cases, I'm excluding animal attacks). You should never pull a firearm on a person unless your life or another person's life is in danger at which point you're only goal is to save that life and with that being your goal you should shoot to kill. If you aren't prepared mentally to kill another person then you should not own a firearm for self defense. Having said that, whatever you decide to get you need to practice with it until its function, feel, action, reloading and shot placement become second nature. A weapon is only as good as the person using it!

You need to answer a couple of questions before you start shopping. Is this for HOME defense or PERSONAL? Home being, the weapon is left in your house in the event of a break in. This opens up the possibility of a shotgun. You can go with a full stock, pistol grip, semi auto or pump. I'd steer away from double barrels or single shots( I own both), they get cumbersome if a fast reload is required. When I hear a strange noise in my house the first weapon I'm going for is my Winchester 1300 pump, 12 ga. I bought it was I was 13, I'm 26 now, I know how it functions inside and out and I can simply point it and hit what I want.
If you are thinking about carrying it I would then concider how much weight you want to carry around and where you'll most likely conceil it on a regular basis. This will give you a size for the weapon and a place to start. Next I would concider firepower, you will need something that can get the job done. I believe anything .38/9mm to be sufficient unless you can really thread the needle! I say this because if you hit someone with a 9 they will know it, if you hit them with a .22 or .32 they'll know it but it's just not going to sting as much. Your whole goal in person defense is to stop an attack! You aren't trying to wound, you are trying to STOP(see this as kill)! Also you can get good ammo for anything .38/9 or larger that is very effective against human size targets.

The best round is the one that you are most comfortable with. If you can shoot Ab's eyes out of a penny at 25 yards with a .22 out of a 3" barrel but can't hit the broad side of a barn with a .38 or 9mm then carry the .22! If you do decide to carry a .22, you had better be able to thread the needle because an attacker could easily take a number of hits and keep coming.....
Don't misunderstand, I'm not saying carry a small caliber just becuse you're good with it but at the same time don't think you are covered just because you're carrying a 500 S&W Mag!
Spend a lot of time shopping around. Pick up the different guns, see how they feel and fit in your hand, make sure you are comfortable with it. If you can, find a place that will let you shoot whatever model(s) you are looking at so you can compare them. You can save some money with the 9mm at the range over a .40 or .45 but don't base your purchase off that. Find a weapon you are comfortable handling, points well for you, and that you can be accurate with. Ask a bunch of questions at the local shop before and after the purchase. PRACTICE! Practice with the weapon, learn how it feels, find out what kind of ammo it likes and make sure you practice with whatever ammo you're going to use for defense, not just range rounds.

I know I got long winded, sorry! This debate has been going on since God talked to Moses and I wanted to cover all my bases. Someone here might be so kind as to pick out something I missed though. Hope all this helps!

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 02-22-2008, 05:06 PM   #43

I would recomend a 38. colt detective spec. The round is small but the stoping power is brutal.If not a 38. I'd recomend a 357. for ccw

Old 02-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

9mm is the cheapesthome defence
I have a 9mm, .40, & .45
I carry the .40
I pay about,... give or take a few bucks for sales and whatnot....

50 rounds - .40 = $20
50 rounds - .45 = $22 - $24
50 round - 9mm = $15 - $17
100 rounds - 9mm = $30

I have seen 50 rounds of 9mm for as low as $7

For target shooting the 9mm is the way to go...
for home defence nothing beats the .45

The question you have to ask is what is th emain reason for getting the firearm? If you want to target shoot 1st and home defence 2nd the 9mm.
The 9mm will still stop someone with one well placed shot.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I buy most of my ammunition from Georgia Arms, which cuts out the middle man. I shoot more wisely than I did a few years ago, because the price of ammo has sky rocketed.
I always meet up with Georgia Arms on the Gun Show circuit, to eliminate the shipping costs. I also turn in my brass for brass credit, which saves more money.

This is their link; Just click on the caliber at the top of the page.Most calibers have a couple of pages, so go to the bottom of the page for more listings in that caliber.

http://www.georgia-arms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=3212

Old 02-22-2008, 11:34 PM   #46

10mm. Now close the thread.

Last edited by Punisher; 02-22-2008 at 11:38 PM.

Old 02-23-2008, 12:42 AM   #47

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher View Post
10mm. Now close the thread.
I'm thinking about buying a 10mm in a small compact alloy frame semi-auto; any suggestions?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #48

Buy a good quality 9mm and shoot it a lot. The 9 mm will do anything you need it to do. The more you practice the more confident you will get with it. It all comes down to bullet placement. I've dispatched many, many moose and deer with a 9 mm as a duty gun and a shot in the head(brain) does it every time. It is all in the placement.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deputy dow View Post
Buy a good quality 9mm and shoot it a lot. The 9 mm will do anything you need it to do. The more you practice the more confident you will get with it. It all comes down to bullet placement. I've dispatched many, many moose and deer with a 9 mm as a duty gun and a shot in the head(brain) does it every time. It is all in the placement.
Is bullet placement something I can expect from another caliber ?; Or is it something I can only expect from the 9mm. I ask this because I hear many advocates of the 9mm bring this up, as if those using other calibers are not concerned with bullet placement.

Old 03-10-2008, 03:25 PM   #50

Liked 165 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 54

Default bullet placement

The bullet placement is vital when shooting ANY caliber,however you'll hear it most often from people trying to justifyshooting a marginal cartridge when there are MUCH better cartridges out there for instant 1 shot stops. When using a cartridge that's barely above reccomended size/bullet weight/energy, precise bullet placement is a LOT more critical.
Another thing,most people believe they can shoot better while in a firefight than they actually can,due to unpressured casual practice. When in a firefight-it's imperitive to know that adrenlin will transform great target shooters into a scared person lucky to even be able to place a bullet on target-much less precise placement. There's a HUGE difference between practice and being engaged in firefight. Anybody that's ever been a firefight and says they was able to deliberately practice exact placement and felt no fear is a LIER!