Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2007, 03:38 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

When it come to self defense I will take what ever gun I can get my hands on.
Do not fall into the caliber debate.....you need something that you can shoot and be comfortable with. Certainly, most will say that the larger the better.

* Rom. 12:12

"The world has yet to see what God can do with and for and through and in a man who is fully and wholly consecrated to Him."
- Henry Varley to DL Moody

"I felt only as a man can feel who is roaming over the prairies of the far West, well armed, and mounted on a fleet and gallant steed." - Buffalo Bill

Old 12-11-2007, 09:52 PM   #32

Default My 2 cents...

+1 on what Jay said... ( BTW Jay...Thanks for serving...Semper Fi )

My preference for home defense is 00buck 12 guage...nuff said

My CCW piece is a Para Ordnance P12-45...one of six 45acp weapons I own.

I buy all of my ammo in bulk at gun shows...45acp, 9mm, 357mag, 45LC...so I don't pay those high prices you quoted...retail and mail order s/h charges suck.

Like most have replied: what's your life worth ?!

Carry the biggest stick ya can hide and control...

DoD: Peace thru Superior Firepower

Old 12-29-2007, 05:13 AM   #33

I wil never understand why people time and again suggest a shot gun for home defence, why would you want to tr to negotiate doorways, hallways, etc. while carrying a 2 to 3 foot weapon? and the racking of the slide, according to a study of prison inmates, does not produce the psycologcal effect that most people believe it does, really it just gives away your positon so the bad guy can shoot you through the wall. Raven good choice, the .40 S&W is a good self defence calliber, however I would caution against useing relaods due to higher incendents of chamber failure than other callibers. And that px4 looks pretty sweet.

Old 12-29-2007, 06:11 AM   #34

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex in Maine View Post
I wil never understand why people time and again suggest a shot gun for home defence, why would you want to tr to negotiate doorways, hallways, etc. while carrying a 2 to 3 foot weapon? and the racking of the slide, according to a study of prison inmates, does not produce the psycologcal effect that most people believe it does, really it just gives away your positon so the bad guy can shoot you through the wall. Raven good choice, the .40 S&W is a good self defence calliber, however I would caution against useing relaods due to higher incendents of chamber failure than other callibers. And that px4 looks pretty sweet.
These are my reasons:

1.) I have terrible eyesight without contacts. I don't sleep in my contacts, so I need something that can counteract my jacked up eyes. I do have a pair of glasses beside the bed, but that's just one more step.

2.) I have had that shotgun since I was 14. I'm 28 now. It's like a third arm to me. I can grab that shotgun, rack it, and have it on point in a split second.

3.) The way my house is arranged, I either have a direct shot as they come in the back door or they are a good distance away and I would already be aware of their presence since I have a burglar alarm.

Last edited by Duck; 12-29-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Old 12-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #35

45 & 40 calibers are great self defense rounds. I would like to point out also that one of the best is one you can afford to practice with and hit the target. You can practice with inexpensive 9 mil and load + P Hollow points for self defense. Don't forget the importance of accuracy, less recoil which often affects a follow up shot. Another point is studies have revealed the difference in ballistics in one shot stops by police officers are much closer than many (including myself), thought.
dmays

Old 12-29-2007, 10:44 PM   #36

Is this subject really still being debated on the Internet?

Here's the answer...... NO handguns come in a good caliber for defense...

Old 12-29-2007, 10:48 PM   #37
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Is this subject really still being debated on the Internet?

Here's the answer...... NO handguns come in a good caliber for defense...
How's that?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:21 PM   #38

Handgun bullets don't carry enough energy to be considered good at reliably killing people (and let's face it, that is what we're talking about when we use the PC term "defensive").

The reason handguns exist is that they are a more portable version of the more effective long gun. Even a not-too-powerful long gun (such as the .30 carbine) is more effective than a very powerful handgun.

Handguns are weak. Then we get into the argument of what is the weakest we can use, and still kill people reliably.

For the OP, if your needs are defense, get the mose powerful handgun you can conceal and control. That means a .45ACP, 460 Rowland, .357 mag, .357 Sig, .45 GAP, 10mm.

9mm and .40 shouldn't even be considered, since the other options exist.

If, however, you want a good gun, that uses an affordable cartridge, you will be very happy with a 9mm.

Try not to fret too much over the one-shot-stop/stopping power debate. It has been raging since before you were born, and shows no signs of slowing.

Get what you like, practice with it. Smile inside with the realization that you will most likely never need it.

Old 12-29-2007, 11:40 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon View Post
Handgun bullets don't carry enough energy to be considered good at reliably killing people (and let's face it, that is what we're talking about when we use the PC term "defensive").

The reason handguns exist is that they are a more portable version of the more effective long gun. Even a not-too-powerful long gun (such as the .30 carbine) is more effective than a very powerful handgun.

Handguns are weak. Then we get into the argument of what is the weakest we can use, and still kill people reliably.

For the OP, if your needs are defense, get the mose powerful handgun you can conceal and control. That means a .45ACP, 460 Rowland, .357 mag, .357 Sig, .45 GAP, 10mm.

9mm and .40 shouldn't even be considered, since the other options exist.

If, however, you want a good gun, that uses an affordable cartridge, you will be very happy with a 9mm.

Try not to fret too much over the one-shot-stop/stopping power debate. It has been raging since before you were born, and shows no signs of slowing.

Get what you like, practice with it. Smile inside with the realization that you will most likely never need it.
The thing is practicality is a major issue when considering self defense. Is it practical to carry a long gun and use it as self defense? Of course not, they are big heavy and too powerful. What I mean by that is they will go through walls, doors and other people which endangers innocent people. It isn't that they are portable, it is that they are practical. Shot placement is key with any weapon when it is used in self defense. The gun is only as effective as it's owner.

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 01-10-2008, 12:29 AM   #40

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

my self I feel that the 9mm is fine for self defence as it has been said guns are made to kill not some guns all guns. and besides that its always better to bring a gun to a knife fight. I know that we could all spend the rest of our lifes argueing over the cal for defence but it is simple to choose whats the best its the one that fits you the best. Haveing a gun is much better than not haveing one. Also your gonna have to find someone that is pretty determined to hurt you that is not gonna be stoped by a 9mm just my thoughts on the subject.