Good self defense caliber? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post
Don't fall prey to the caliber wars. Don't forget that firearms are one of the most subjective topics around. Would you buy a pair of shoes just because several other folks suggested that particular pair?

Go to gun shops, gun shows, local ranges, and get your hands on as many guns as you can. Several of them should feel pretty good in your hands. I'm talking about just comfort. A few of them will really feel "just right". Most likely, that manufacturer will make different calibers in a similar frame. If the handgun doesn't "feel right", you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not proficient with it, you might as well have a baseball bat.

Just my opinion, and worth at best, 2 cents.
Baseball bats work well too.

Member GCO

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 AM   #12

Default Caliber:

Take a hint from law enforcement:

All these used Glock 9's are from PD trade-ins going to 40 S&W.
9mm w/ 124 Gold Dot HP is a killer.

40S&W is better, meets FBI standards formulated after famous Miami shootout.

45acp IS the bench mark to which all pistol rounds are compared.

In Federal LE : 40 S&W is king except Secret Service is 357SIG.
Texas DPS went from 45acp to 357SIG and has had Great Results.
California CHP went from 9 to 40 S&W and has had great results.

But remember, as Clint Smith says @ Thrunder Ranch...IF you brought a pistol to a gun fight...you didn't plan well !
Enter the 12GA shotgun or Urbine Carbine in 223.

Econmoics have a consideration....shoot some and see what feels good in the hand and is controllable. Learn to reload if you start to shoot a bunch and save more on ammo. Have a secure way to store your guns.

Test anything you choose in advance with quality personal defense ammo...FMJ hard ball is suitable for practice only. In 9 or 40 it may over penetrate and may bounce on hard surfaces. What ever cal you choose, load it with defense ammo like local police use....helps in court later.

Take some instruction at a local NRA gun club is a good starting point !

Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 AM   #13

Default Type of ammo vs caliber

What everyone has said here is true. Be sure to take in to consideration the type of ammo appropriate for ccw/home defense. Carry something fragable or at least expandable, like Horady T.A.P. or Extreme Shock. NOT round nose FMJ-they will penetrate walls (and the human body). A slow, heavy projectile is better. If you have little handgun experience, try to rent different calibers and weapons to guage your tolerance to recoil. Most important: After you make your purchase-Practice, Practice, Practice.

"Here I Stand. I Can Do No Other. God Help Me. Amen."
Martin Luther, Diet of Worms, 1521

Old 09-29-2007, 06:40 AM   #14

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

The thin walls may not completely stop a shotgun round, but it will slow it down a lot more than it would a pistol round (the exception being frangible rounds). The more I read about your situation, the more I'm leaning towards the shotgun. I've got a 20ga Remington sitting right beside my bed. I figure if someone breaks into my house at night, the shotgun will be more effective and I don't even have to worry about over-penetration. The first round is size 8 shot and the other two are slugs. I've thought about moving up to size 4 shot for the first one, but the idea of packing some scumbag's chest full of birdshot just does something for me.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #15

Default Thanks All

Hey all, Just wanted to say thanks for all the advice. I'm still shopping around and trying to decide what I like, but all your comments have been very helpful!

__

Raven

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 AM   #16

When it comes to home defense, go with the handgun that you are comfortable with. Your comfort with your weapon will be the decisive factor in a life and death situation because it simply enhances your accuracy. Caliber of a pistol is irrelevant if you can't hit your target. Like they always say " A hit from a .22 is a heck of a lot better than a miss from a magnum .44"

Old 10-28-2007, 01:32 PM   #17
PRM

Liked 19 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default One Shot Stops

Don't get caught up in movie hype - there are few one shot stops with hand guns. We see actors picked up and hurled backwards in the movies; physics will tell you, if the weapon is that powerful, the person who fired the shot will also be hurled backwards.

Rifle cartridges have a lot of velocity and create secondary wound channels. This equates to lot of damage.

Handgun cartridges do not have that velocity. Basically you are punching holes. Unless you hit a major bone or the central nervous system, the fight goes on until one or the other bleeds out. Yes, different people will react to the noise and injury in different ways. But, a determined individual or one under the influence of alcohol or drugs can and will in some cases continue the fight.

You will have to get hits and continue to do so until the threat stops. If your first couple of rounds center mass are not doing the job - change aiming points; they could be wearing body armor. We all like to shoot targets on the range that have one big hole. We have pride in our skill, but on the street is that really practical. If the first round had no effect, how much is the second going in the same place.

Last, attitude is your edge. You may get hurt, this don't mean you are out or are not going to survive. You will do what you train to do. Part of that is mental preparation. The internalized will to continue until its over.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:20 PM   #18

Default .40 S&W for me!

I finally choose as Beretta PX4-Storm in .40S&W!

This gun holds 14+1 and can be extended to 17+1.

I figure thats almost as much punch as a .45, but with the hi-cap of a large 9mm! I also think this round will be a little more manageable than the .45 in terms of $$$, weight, recoil etc.

Haven't shot yet, but it feels comfy in my hands. It's a touch heavy fully loaded, but then thats ALOT of lead, I'll get used to it.

The cartridges are certainly intimidating enough, I felt a bit like Bruce Willis in "last man standing" loading those mags.

__

Raven

Old 10-28-2007, 08:02 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenslay3r View Post
I finally choose as Beretta PX4-Storm in .40S&W!

This gun holds 14+1 and can be extended to 17+1.

I figure thats almost as much punch as a .45, but with the hi-cap of a large 9mm! I also think this round will be a little more manageable than the .45 in terms of $$$, weight, recoil etc.

Haven't shot yet, but it feels comfy in my hands. It's a touch heavy fully loaded, but then thats ALOT of lead, I'll get used to it.

The cartridges are certainly intimidating enough, I felt a bit like Bruce Willis in "last man standing" loading those mags.
I was just talking about the Beretta Storm Sub-Compact in .40 S & W which will be out January or February 08. I am hoping it will be smaller or at least close in size to the Glock G27. If it is, I will buy one on the spot. The large frame PX-4 Storm is too big for me for CCW purposes as is the Glock G22 that I use for home security. Anyway, I like the .40 S & W as a minimum for CCW. Sure beats my little .380 ACP.

Good luck with your new .40 S & W Storm. I know you'll like it.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:46 AM   #20

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Self defendr cartridge

Altho bullets from today's modern ammo has came a long way thus making the smaller calibers more effectine(lethal),The simple fact of the matter is the bigger bullet is,the more knockdown power it'll have. I like .357 or .44 5 shot wheelguns due to the fact that they are extremely simple to operate. As far as a semiauto,.45 acp or .40 s&w in that order.