Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good self defense caliber?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2007, 09:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good self defense caliber?

Looking to buy my first gun. Want it primarily for home-defense, and possibly CCW in the future, but will also be doing alot of range/target shooting initially.

I was originally leaning towards a larger caliber for the stopping power, but the guy at the shop made the point 9mm is far more economic.

So what caliber splits the difference? Something thats still kind of cheap, but will stop an attacker with fewer hits?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-23-2007, 10:14 PM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Is .45 ammo really that expensive? I've never owned a 9mm or a .45 so I've never really paid attention. I know the .40 is expensive to shoot, but I thought the .45 wasn't bad.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:20 PM   #3

I took a quick look through wal-mart and it seemed 9mm was around $12.50 a box and most others started around $18-30 a box.

However not all boxes were clearly marked with a qty, and within each caliber there seemed to be many different kinds of rounds, with a large price variation so it was hard to get a good comparison.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:43 PM   #4

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts

Well, your best bet is to shoot a bunch of them to see which one you like the best. For most calibers, the cost of ammo should be very low on your list of priorities for picking a weapon. It's different if you're talking about something exotic, but for standard calibers pick what you like and what fits you.

Old 09-23-2007, 11:47 PM   #5

Do you have an Academy store nearby?
I buy Blazer aluminum case 9mm form them at slightly under $7 a box. Have never had a problem.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:22 PM   #6

When it comes to the security of yourself and your family and property, does a few bucks matter? Get the .45 if you plan to carry it. As for home defense, you can't beat a 12 guage shotgun with Number 6 shot. The shot is big enough to make a difference without killing the neighbors too.

Member GCO

Old 09-27-2007, 04:15 AM   #7

Default Thanks

Good points. Thanks for the comments!

Old 09-28-2007, 04:56 AM   #8

Default It's all a balancing act!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
When it comes to the security of yourself and your family and property, does a few bucks matter?
Idealistically, if the choice becomes one of "dead or alive" than money should be no object. Realistically however:

Technically speaking, it's just me; no family or property in the [current] equation. And there is a sliding scale of "cheap guns, no guns, or no food".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Get the .45 if you plan to carry it.
Most concrete, decisive advise i've gotten so far, maybe I should take it..

Quote:
As for home defense, you can't beat a 12 guage shotgun with Number 6 shot. The shot is big enough to make a difference without killing the neighbors too.
In all seriousness, is this still true in a condo complex when the neighbors are a standard 4-inch interior wall away? I may have to give this consideration.

Old 09-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cheap don`t mean much if your dead. I`m a wheel gun fan and my choice for ccw is the .44 mag., but I would carry nothing smaller than a .357. In semi auto I would never carry a 9mm, .40 S&W is the bear min. and a .45 auto would be better. The smaller cal`s. will kill people, but if you trying to stop a big guy that is on dope it won`t stop him. Big heavy bullets even if at lower velosities, make better stoppers than smaller faster bullets. Even if they don`t kill the guy he`ll stop and if nessary you`ll have time for a secound or third shot.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-28-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Don't fall prey to the caliber wars. Don't forget that firearms are one of the most subjective topics around. Would you buy a pair of shoes just because several other folks suggested that particular pair?

Go to gun shops, gun shows, local ranges, and get your hands on as many guns as you can. Several of them should feel pretty good in your hands. I'm talking about just comfort. A few of them will really feel "just right". Most likely, that manufacturer will make different calibers in a similar frame. If the handgun doesn't "feel right", you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. If you're not proficient with it, you might as well have a baseball bat.

Just my opinion, and worth at best, 2 cents.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys