Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good Handgun for a Beginner?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Good Handgun for a Beginner?

Hey guys! First off I would like to say that I am new to this forum and I am excited to start posting.

Secondly, I have a question for you all. I do not and have not ever owned a firearm. To be perfectly honest, I've never even shot one. But I am interested in purchasing a gun for myself. My intentions with this gun are target shooting and home defense. Please note that I am a newb and therefore need a gun easy to use and maintain. Oh yea, and I would prefer my first to be a handgun, as you can tell by the title.

Any answers are appreciated. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-01-2010, 10:02 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoAlphaRomeo View Post
Hey guys! First off I would like to say that I am new to this forum and I am excited to start posting.

Secondly, I have a question for you all. I do not and have not ever owned a firearm. To be perfectly honest, I've never even shot one. But I am interested in purchasing a gun for myself. My intentions with this gun are target shooting and home defense. Please note that I am a newb and therefore need a gun easy to use and maintain. Oh yea, and I would prefer my first to be a handgun, as you can tell by the title.

Any answers are appreciated. Thanks
First, I suggest that you find a range in your area that rents guns and has a safety course for beginners. The safety course is a must! Guns are not dangerous, poor handling of them is extremely dangerous. Gotta learn the safe handling stuff. If you have the opportunity to rent several different makes, models, and calibers you can decide which suits you the best. I suggest the same to every new shooter.

Second, how about stopping by the Introductions section and letting the members get to know you a bit. There is a Fort Knox's worth of knowledge and experience here just for the taking. The new members who show respect and manners are the ones who get the most out of this forum.

Third, we welcome new members no matter their experience, so please feel free to ask any question you have along your quest. Pick through the responses and I believe you will find this place to be your home. Enjoy.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-01-2010, 10:03 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

B.A.R. - Welcome to the FTF Community. Some of our more regular members would like you to stop by the Introduction Section and let us know more a little about you. That is your choice.

The first thing I would HIGHLY recommend, is to take a basic handgun and/or firearm instruction course. In this class you will learn more than a little about firearms, which will help you towards making a more informed decision.

Based on a more informed decision, you can go to a local range, safely, and rent several different types of handguns, in various calibers, that will allow you to get a better sense of what will work for you, personally, as opposed to a bunch of these mooks.

JD

Old 08-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #4

Thanks to both of you! I'll stop by the introduction page when I get a little bit more time on my hands. And as for the safety course, I have a range nearby with rentals and all. I'll take the edu demo and rent a few pistols to find the one that suits me.

Again, thank you for your replies

Old 08-01-2010, 10:30 PM   #5

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

You are welcome, good sir. I do want to caution you, once you start shooting, you will find it hard to stop.

I have taught several new shooters, and the most common comment I hear is, "Wow, that is fun. Almost too much fun."

Get back to us once you have completed the course(s) and you have decided upon your purchase.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-01-2010, 11:19 PM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

GO get a safety course. Then start with a 22 rimfire pistol. It is not the best round for self defense but a gun is better than nothing.

Browning Buckmark and Rugers MkIII pistols are great beginner handguns. Beretta has the Neos and Smith has the 21A.

Welcome to the addiction.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:45 PM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

If you've never even shot a firearm before I'd recommend you look closely at .22 handguns to start with-naturally after you take a safety course. By choosing a .22, you'll be able to afford ammo to practice with. Getting decent with a handgun requires thousands of rounds-hundreds at a bare minimum. That way you can learn trigger control and sight alignment, as well as the other factors of shooting safely and accurately. Then,once you're a decent shot with a .22 you can move up to something like a 9mm (in the case of semi-autos) or a .38/.357 revolver. Naturally I don't recommend trying to defend yourself with a .22 (even though it would beat a rock or sharp stick). That's what the bigger gun is for. When I teach someone to shoot I invariably start them out with a .22 and work them up from there once they have confidence. 22 ammo is about 12.00-14.00 per brick of 500 whereas 9mm ammo is that much for only 50 rounds.

The important thing about ANY defensive firearm is that it fits YOU. That's what renting different guns is all about-seeing what fits YOU and what you shoot well.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-02-2010, 03:35 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2008 Times on 1090 Posts
Likes Given: 724

Congratulations on your decision to engage in the addiction.

The first firearm I purchased was a Smith & Wesson model 411, .40. My second was my S&W model 17, .22.

I can pretty well guarantee you that either your first or second gun will be a .22. A .22 is going to let you shoot all day, into the night, into the next day, and you won't be worrying about breaking the bank.

Now as for the one for self defense, that's another story... .357, 9mm, .40, .45. There are soooo many choices. Have fun sorting them out.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA