good ccw for a woman who is on the small side - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns >

good ccw for a woman who is on the small side

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 01:19 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello
Get her to try a Bersa Thunder .380. I was very happy with mine; now my sister is very happy with it.
I was going to jump right in and suggest this firearm but I decided to read in case somebody already recommended it. I recently purchased the cc model. I put three hundred rounds through it with no failures, hollow pts fmj ammo. Its easier to shoot than ths super small kel tecs and rugers, plus holds an extra two rounds over them. Plus, its a double to single action, so many people find it easier to shoot than the dao guns. With a safety, decocker, and extra mag, its an excellent 300 dollar gun. It does have a magazine disconnect safety.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:49 PM   #22
Jay

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just because a revolver is functionally "simpler" than a semi-auto, doesn't make it any more of a ladies gun than any other firearm. To assume that a lady must "love guns" before being able to cope with a mechanical safety, is silly. Personal preference is one thing, and gender bias is another. You don't have to love guns in order to carry one, but if you carry without being proficient with your chosen firearm, you're a fool....male or female.

The age-old "trade-off" in handguns is especially applicable to the ladies..... short barrel, light weight, only 5 or 6 rounds equals much more perceived recoil. REGARDLESS OF GENDER. That being said, once proficient with the fundamentals, anyone can learn to shoot any caliber, as well as learn to shoot either a revolver, or a semi-auto. If the safety is that much of an issue, consider a double action only semi auto..... same basic function (point and pull the trigger) but you get 4 more rounds..... Just sayin' ..... most of 'em have a double-action trigger that is far superior to most ANY out-of-the-box revolver.

Shoes...... when you buy 'em, you try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em..... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to break in the shoes, and your feet.

Guns..... try 'em on first...... if they don't feel good, you don't buy 'em......... if they feel good, and you buy 'em, chances are that you still might need to practice with it, and enhance your ability to use it.....

Buying a handgun simply because someone else has one is just foolish. If there were a "best" handgun, we'd all own it, and there wouldn't be the huge selection of handguns to choose from.

Hey ........

GO SHOPPING

She doesn't have to "draw" from a purse, she can walk around with her hand already on the gun, and shoot thru the purse if need be. Situational awareness must be elevated when purse carrying.

Mode of carry... consider this...

Some of my toys

Old 02-16-2012, 02:22 PM   #23

Oh no i wasnt planing on going to go get her something just based on what was suggested i was. I was looking for some suggestions on guns that are reliable based kn user experience here that way i could talk with her about what she wants and take her out and go feel the guns herself before we make the purchase. I did that before i got my current gun which we both enjoy. That being said i am going to take her to the local gun stores with the suggestions in mind and have take a look at some and see if they have any for rent.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:26 PM   #24
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 51 Times on 47 Posts
Likes Given: 112

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmurphy7676 View Post
I bought my wife a Walther PK380, reason being is she too is of small stature, but to add to it fairly weak in her hands and found it IMPOSSIBLE to chamber a round with any conventional 9mm .40 or .45 so we came across this gun and off the bat she liked it, she operated the slide with ease. Luckily the chambering issue with this gun was resolved before buying since it is fairly common for the catch not to grip the round. If you do choose this make sure that the issue has been corrected
BTW she loves the gun and shoots Winchester Ranger talon HP. 380
These ^^^ are in my Sig P238 Blackwood CCW.

Thejiro- you may want to look at the Sig P238 as well.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #25

I would love to go with a sig cua they are grerat guns but they are out of my price range. Right now im planing on having her look at the ruger lcr and the ruger sr9c and s&w bodyguard. The s&w and the lcr are at the top end of what i have available to spend.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay View Post

Mode of carry... consider this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8r6CY5UZyw

definitely gonna have to get one or 2 for my wife.