a good carry pistol for less then $400
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > a good carry pistol for less then $400

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2012, 05:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Default a good carry pistol for less then $400

okay guys in the unfortunate times we are in i have had to sell all of my guns but the P.O.S bryco that i literaly cant even give away. i want to just chuck it into a pond and let it rust for the rest of its miserable life as a paper weight. i was in a car accident some months ago and i will be able to spare about 400 dollars for a new carry pistol to begin my collection all over again. "my wife said so" what should i look for??? im not familiar with pistols of this price range. anyone got advice??? thanks for reading

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i would suggest an m&p shield. you can find one for $399. only thing is that you'd have to be patient til the shop gets it in stock.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

You can get a nano and lc9 for that price range. You can also look into keltec.

Old 11-01-2012, 12:48 PM   #4

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I just posted this in another thread;

Ruger LCR hands down!

Get the 38 spl +P model, it's all you need.

Best DA trigger in this genre.

Only 13.5 ozs and < 1 lb loaded!

Practice with 38 spl target loads and carry with Buffalo Bore, Heavy .38 Special +P Ammo - 158 gr. L.S.W.C.H.P. w/G.C. (1,000fps/M.E. 351 ft.lbs.)

Best bathing suit carry when a 45 ACP just won't work!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello
slog Likes This 
Old 11-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #5

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I hate to advise anyone to buy a Glock. Right now there are a bunch of used glocks with night sights floating around in your price range. Our local Ace Hardware has them for $400 and I see them online in the same price range. The Ruger Canebrake is pointing you towards is a nice shooter. That is a lot coming from me. I hate DA only pistols with a passion.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-01-2012, 02:31 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yes, M&P Shield fo sho!

Old 11-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5828 Times on 3295 Posts
Likes Given: 5307

Good used S&W.

Winston Churchill

Old 11-01-2012, 02:36 PM   #8

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Bersa Thunder ultra compact. Comes in 3 flavors: 9mm, .40 and .45.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/21_178/products_id/61660/Bersa+T40MP10+Thunder+Pro+Ultra+Compact+40+S%26W+3 .6%22+10%2B1+Syn

I'll note that the finish on Bersa's is uneven and spotty. I have three full sized and they're all like that. The frame is an alloy. Rust resistant. Shoots and performs excellent. Combat sights. Accessory rail. Firing pin safety and decocker. Trigger is super light in single action mode. Has a heavier double action trigger but it's fairly smooth. In double action pull there's one little bump right in the middle of the pull but it smooths out after you shoot it a while. Field strips in less than 5 seconds (just rotate the lever on the frame side, the slide pops off)

I really don't care what it looks like, it does what it needs to do and then some. Make sure you get some snap caps, because non-glocks don't normally like dry firing. Bersa newest generation have heavy duty firing pins to prevent breakage but I still use a snap cap just for peace of mind.

LCR is nice too if you want a revolver.

Last edited by slog; 11-01-2012 at 02:47 PM.

Old 11-01-2012, 04:09 PM   #9

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I know that a lot of people knock them, but I have had zero problems with my Kel-Tec PF9. Here in SE Ohio, they can be found new for $250-$300 depending on the gun shop. Dead on(baseball sized groups) at 7 yards on in(self defense range), and not bad out to 15 yards(all hits in torso). I've fired about 500 rounds through mine and no malfunctions what so ever.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 10

i dont want to risk kel-tec, everyone was bashing bryco and i got one to find out what the fuss was about. i completely regret it. yall can call me stupid for getting one a year or so ago. now i cant even give it away. i respect all who love there firearms but since my price range is so low i want somewhat name brand, and rep to back it up. used or not. i like the lcr but my body type i am afraid it will fly out of my hands. 357 in a snub nose, i am not comfortable safely firing it. at least i am honest right? heh, m&p shield seems nice, and the bersa i would have to research more on. i dont want a self defense grenade. im just being cautious. i apologize if i have offended anyone. i just want to be %100 that i can defend me and my wife without blowing us up.