Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > good budget friendly 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default good budget friendly 9mm

Hi, I am in the market for my first handgun. I know i want a semi auto, 9mm. Also looking for a price under $400. I would like a full size, because I havent found a compact that fits my hands yet, and I am not planning on carrying yet.

I have a couple in mind. Hopefully you can help point me in the right direction.

1. Ruger sr9 $398 @ buds
2. CZ P07 Duty $406 @ jetguns
3. Bersa Thunder Pro $348 @ jetguns
4. Taurus 24/7 oss $355 @ buds

I have held the rugerand the Taurus, and they both feel well balanced and comfortable, but have been unable to even find the other two in stock locally. What are your thoughts on these firearms, andare there any others i should look at?

Thanks for the input.

Pat

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM   #2

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Call a few gunshops around the Detroit area who have ranges. They usually have a good stock of guns that they rent so you can shoot them and see which one you like best. Try Target Sports in Royal Oak, or on the westside in Taylor there's one on Racho Road south of Eureka, but the name escapes me right now. Also on the south side of the Jefferies Service Dr somewhere around Merriman there's another shop, again sorry I can't remember the name,

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Last edited by Car54; 04-03-2011 at 09:11 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 09:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches View Post
Hi, I am in the market for my first handgun. I know i want a semi auto, 9mm. Also looking for a price under $400. I would like a full size, because I havent found a compact that fits my hands yet, and I am not planning on carrying yet.

I have a couple in mind. Hopefully you can help point me in the right direction.

1. Ruger sr9 $398 @ buds
2. CZ P07 Duty $406 @ jetguns
3. Bersa Thunder Pro $348 @ jetguns
4. Taurus 24/7 oss $355 @ buds

I have held the rugerand the Taurus, and they both feel well balanced and comfortable, but have been unable to even find the other two in stock locally. What are your thoughts on these firearms, andare there any others i should look at?

Thanks for the input.

Pat
Don't overlook the Stoeger/Beretta Cougar 8000. $369 NIB. It will perform as well & probably better than most of your other choices. A truly excellent value in today's market. If your unaware of the Cougar, do some of YOUR OWN research & you'll see what I mean. Beretta designs some of the worlds finest firearms & to get their Cougar 9mm under $400 is a very sweet deal.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Take a close look at the Sig Pro SP2022. I personally think it is better than most on your list.

From your list, I will get the CZ P07.

Last edited by Poink88; 04-03-2011 at 11:42 PM.

Old 04-03-2011, 11:39 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Of your choices I would choose between the Ruger sr9 or the CZ P07 Duty.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Old 04-04-2011, 12:30 AM   #6

Isn't the cougar basically the same as the px4? I will check those out also. I do like the design of the sig also, so I guess i will be doing some "field research".

The ruger has gotten great reviews from just about every site I have been on, but I am very intrigued by the po7.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will keep you guys posted on the decision.

Pat

Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2593 Times on 1298 Posts
Likes Given: 248

I've become partial to the CZ design lately. Very nice pistols. I have 75BD, reliable, accurate and fun.
For CZ-like goodness at a nice price, see if you can hunt sown an EAA Witness for your sampling pleasure. They are priced quite nicely . I have a .45 Witness Match that has so far exceeded my expectations.
I haven't messed with the Stoegers very much, but initial opinion is that they look like a really nice gun. They feel and look like something from a higher price point.
Of course if you went with the Ruger, you will probably be happy with it for a long time.
Taurus makes some nice looking guns (they make the Judge too, which sort of balances things out). It's sort of a shame that the quality control is rubbish.

NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-04-2011 at 01:01 AM.

Old 04-04-2011, 12:54 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by patches View Post
Isn't the cougar basically the same as the px4? I will check those out also. I do like the design of the sig also, so I guess i will be doing some "field research".

The ruger has gotten great reviews from just about every site I have been on, but I am very intrigued by the po7.

Thank you so much for the feedback. I will keep you guys posted on the decision.

Pat
The Cougar is an "all metal" version of the PX4. It's the PX4's predecessor using the same rotating barrel system. The Cougar feels somewhat like a smaller Beretta 92FS. 99% of owner reviews rave about their Cougars. When Beretta released the Cougar in the mid 90's they sold for close to $700, to get the same exact gun today NIB for half that is an outstanding value.

Of the 4 that you originally posted, I'd pick the CZ.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:04 AM   #9
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Hi-Point C9.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:26 AM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default 9mm

keltek p11 under $300.00