Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Good .40 cal handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3859 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
I have small hands and prefer the feel of a CZ-75 over most semi-autos. They just feel better to me. Most other autos feel like a 2x4. Check out to see if the police departments let you use your own, or if you have to use one of their issued guns first.
Anna, The reason I did not buy a CZ is because it is too thin for my hands. My fingers are too wide. There is a always the perfect gun out there if you do your research. Happy you found yours.

OP,

I love my .40 HK USP. It is just right for me. The compact one might be down your alley. Variants of the USP are used by various international police, militaries and special units.

Old 10-06-2013, 01:19 PM   #12

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP03 View Post
I'm a big Sig fan so I like the P229 mentioned above. But I have to say my personal favorite is the H&K USP 40.
I second the usp 40. Just got to shoot one the other day. Feels good and had a clean trigger break. Never shot a 40 before that. Thinking of picking one up now if i can find one.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 10-06-2013, 07:23 PM   #13

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post

I second the usp 40. Just got to shoot one the other day. Feels good and had a clean trigger break. Never shot a 40 before that. Thinking of picking one up now if i can find one.
For me the usp 40 fits all my needs in a pistol, flawless operation( atleast mine),, 13+1 ,, tack driver..
Shot plenty of pistols through the years and my hk is the one on my hip every day. Because my confidence it will work if needed.

forumrunner_20131006_152211.jpg
Old 10-06-2013, 10:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post

For me the usp 40 fits all my needs in a pistol, flawless operation( atleast mine),, 13+1 ,, tack driver..
Shot plenty of pistols through the years and my hk is the one on my hip every day. Because my confidence it will work if needed.
She looks good. Ive got about 700 now. Still trying to save.

Old 10-07-2013, 04:52 AM   #15

Liked 79 Times on 55 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by duddie10 View Post

She looks good. Ive got about 700 now. Still trying to save.
Keep checking the online gun stores such as budsguns. I imagine you could run across a used one for about that much. Keep in mind used doesn't mean junk,, we're talking USP's, most people can't afford the amount of ammo it would take to wear one of these tanks out. Certainly not me, I'm around 2,000 rounds and her action is still like butter. And mine came to me used,no telling how many rounds have been fed this pistol ........

Old 10-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 304inc View Post

Keep checking the online gun stores such as budsguns. I imagine you could run across a used one for about that much. Keep in mind used doesn't mean junk,, we're talking USP's, most people can't afford the amount of ammo it would take to wear one of these tanks out. Certainly not me, I'm around 2,000 rounds and her action is still like butter. And mine came to me used,no telling how many rounds have been fed this pistol ........
Im def guna do that. Tganx for tge advice!!

Old 10-07-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2685 Times on 1340 Posts
Likes Given: 261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Anna, The reason I did not buy a CZ is because it is too thin for my hands. My fingers are too wide. There is a always the perfect gun out there if you do your research. Happy you found yours.

OP,

I love my .40 HK USP. It is just right for me. The compact one might be down your alley. Variants of the USP are used by various international police, militaries and special units.
Grip panel choices make a huge difference with the CZ 75 series (much like 1911s.) I have relatively large hands and the CZ walnut grips are great at filling the hand.

The USP is nice, but the OP was specific in his preference for a "Non-polymer" option.

To the OP:
Worth noting: going compact vs. full size may not help with regard to hand size, they are usually just shorter, not thinner.

Does your prospective dept have a preferred list of candidates? Seems like even if they don't care all that much, they might have issues with someone showing up with a HiPoint or something truly odd or obscure.

Sig- pick one, you probably can't go too far wrong, top shelf quality. Downside? Top shelf pricing.
CZ - Not as popular and and can be a challenge to find. Great value, deserves to be more popular, not just a cult favorite. (Clearance pricing compared to most other euro zone pistols.) Also a popular service weapon outside the US.
Beretta - might be worth a look if your tastes run that way.
Stoeger Cougar - Turkish built Berretas at fire sale prices.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 10-07-2013 at 03:41 PM.
jeffkaiser1989 Likes This 
Old 10-07-2013, 05:48 PM   #18

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
Grip panel choices make a huge difference with the CZ 75 series (much like 1911s.) I have relatively large hands and the CZ walnut grips are great at filling the hand.

The USP is nice, but the OP was specific in his preference for a "Non-polymer" option.

To the OP:
Worth noting: going compact vs. full size may not help with regard to hand size, they are usually just shorter, not thinner.

Does your prospective dept have a preferred list of candidates? Seems like even if they don't care all that much, they might have issues with someone showing up with a HiPoint or something truly odd or obscure.

Sig- pick one, you probably can't go too far wrong, top shelf quality. Downside? Top shelf pricing.
CZ - Not as popular and and can be a challenge to find. Great value, deserves to be more popular, not just a cult favorite. (Clearance pricing compared to most other euro zone pistols.) Also a popular service weapon outside the US.
Beretta - might be worth a look if your tastes run that way.
Stoeger Cougar - Turkish built Berretas at fire sale prices.
Good advice ill find out more when i go on my ride a long tonight as to if the department is specific. I prefer non polymer guns thats just my personal preference if i need a polymer gun ill probably do either a glock or a HK. Thanks for all the advice guys ill be sure to take it into account when i get far enough down the road. Like i said ill find out more tonight and ill post when i have more information.
  • Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 10-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #19

Liked 77 Times on 63 Posts
Likes Given: 152

TPD'S standard department issue is a sig sauer p229 in .40 cal. Department provides the hand gun as well as a 12 gauge Remington 870 pump action shotgun and a military grade m16 or m4.

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence

Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1232 Times on 713 Posts
Likes Given: 1861

Consider a Stoeger 8040 "Cougar". Great price ($425 range), all metal, rotating barrel lockup feature provides great accuracy. Made by Stoeger (the shotgun guru's) using Beretta design. 3 5/8" barrel, 11+1 capacity, phoscoat/Teflon finish which they call "Bruniton" (sturdy and literally waterproof). I've had mine for 4 years, carry it frequently, shoot it a couple of times a month at the range, and there are no signs of wear on the finish. (This is not a commercial, I just like the gun).
There is a thread for the Cougar on the forum, you may want to check it out.
It comes in model 8000, which is 9MM; model 8040, which is the .40 cal version; and I think there is a .45 cal model, also.
Originally designed and marketed for police.

Last edited by AIKIJUTSU; 10-08-2013 at 03:03 PM.