Are glocks models no longer current or absolete? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Are glocks models no longer current or absolete?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9209 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
Where is all this talk about Glock being "several hundred dollars cheaper" coming from? Seems to me the price of Glocks are fairly comparable to a lot of other guns. Is Glock basically giving them away to LEO's?
Close to it. Some departments have gotten them in the past for as much as you and I could get a hi point or Jimenez for. So it's no big surprise it's so popular with bureaucrats and bean counters, nor is the way they foist it upon their agencies. I wouldn't use that as a selling point.

It may be the number one gun in law enforcement...but I haven't personally met a cop yet who has admitted to me that it would be their first choice. I'm not saying they aren't out there though. Many of the ones I know personally say they would prefer the Beretta M9.

Last edited by trip286; 06-15-2013 at 08:45 PM.

Old 06-15-2013, 09:46 PM   #52

Liked 1330 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 856

Quote:
Beretta M9.
A fine choice. I like Berettas.......

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post

A fine choice. I like Berettas.......
I'm cursed with smaller than average hands. If I weren't, I'd likely own nothing but Beretta.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #54

Liked 173 Times on 117 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I heard a story from a very reliable source that a local city quietly changed their bid review policy on bid proposals In 2010. Later in the year they sought bid proposals to replace the PD's side arms. After the bid submittal cut off date, all bid packages were reviewed and five were selected for discussion. Of the five the high and low bidders were immediately eliminated, the three remaining were discussed and S&W (M&P 40's) was selected. My city now has a similar policy/procedure.

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Old 06-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #55

My step brother has to supply his own gun and qualifying ammo. He's supplied his actual carry ammo. How they keep them accounted for I'll never know...

It was also dictated to him his choices. They were, GLOCK, M&P, and XD. He chose the XD in their dictated .40, after shooting a friend's GLOCK.

Then he shot his dad's M&P, and bought one because he liked it better.

So, now he has an XD and an M&P, both in .40.

Last year, his department mandated that they go to the .357 sig. They still kept the policy of officers buying their own practice and qualifying ammo.

He couldn't find a conversion kit for either of his guns locally, and the deadline was fast approaching. So he traded them both in on a new gun in .357 sig. I don't recall the brand, except that it wasn't a GLOCK.

Then the department discovered, that, holy sheep **** Batman, no one can find .357sig, not even the PD, not in the quantities they need....

So they switched back to .40.
Now my step brother was stuck with a .357 sig gun, and several thousand rounds of .40 he couldn't use.

The situation has been rectified since then. I didn't follow the drama too closely, so I don't know if he got another new gun, found a conversion, or what.

Thought that was a fun story I'd share here.

Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #56

Liked 1101 Times on 659 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Why is it when either 1911 or GLOCK pops up, so does the measurement of everybodys D!CKS!!!! Holy sh!t people can't we just give an opinion and not mine is better than yours BS!!! F*CK, I have several different kinds of firearms and I like all of them!!!!!!! Each one MIGHT have a slight edge over each other, but I'll give OPINIONS not this one is better than that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for keeping up with the measurements. Yes I do carry a GLOCK and a 1911 at times, but mainly my GLOCK.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 06-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #57
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3177 Times on 1651 Posts
Likes Given: 322

Glock does have a considerable price difference between officer pricing and civilian pricing. The Agency pricing is even sweeter. They also give generous trade in allowances for used agency guns.

In essence, they sell at or below cost to corner the market. If Glocks were cars, the FTC would slam them for "Model dumping". Mazda and Toyota got slammed about 20 years ago for selling minivans below cost to get into the market virtualy owned by Chrysler. I guess it is OK with guns.

Don't get me wrong, if S&W made an M&P in 10mm it would sit in my holser right now. They don't so I carry a G-20C. I wanted something more powerful than the .45. Glock was my ONLY option.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 06-16-2013 at 12:37 AM.
rifleman1 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #58
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 321 Times on 248 Posts
Likes Given: 144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00 View Post
Why is it when either 1911 or GLOCK pops up, so does the measurement of everybodys D!CKS!!!! Holy sh!t people can't we just give an opinion and not mine is better than yours BS!!! F*CK, I have several different kinds of firearms and I like all of them!!!!!!! Each one MIGHT have a slight edge over each other, but I'll give OPINIONS not this one is better than that one!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for keeping up with the measurements. Yes I do carry a GLOCK and a 1911 at times, but mainly my GLOCK.
You have the right to your own opinion - just as you have the right to shoot yourself in the foot.

With your 1911, you'll just have to work harder to do it. (you'll have to defeat active & passive safeties)

Last edited by Gonzilla; 06-17-2013 at 02:49 AM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This 
Old 06-17-2013, 03:00 AM   #59

Liked 5011 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Quote:
Originally Posted by north1020 View Post
My friend is an officer, I immediately back off when he commented negatives about glock. That is why I posted this topic to get more positive opinions. I myself really like glocks but if you are hearing negative it's hard to decide.
Being an officer is your first clue that he may not know what he's talking about.

LE is a job like any other job and to the majority of officers, their side arm is no more or less important than their handcuffs. It another piece of equipment on their belt that they must qualify with... And no more.

In my experience the percentage of cops who are also gun enthusiasts is about the same as the population as a whole.

I'm not a GLOCK fan myself and I do think they are overpriced in the market but they are certainly not obsolete and are every bit as effective as any of there competitors...so buy what you like and train with it.

Tack

Old 06-17-2013, 03:13 AM   #60

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Look...Glock is outdated because the cop dramas don't used them much anymore. They seem to have moved on to a Sig Sauer or a couple use an HK.

If you like them and then get them. If not then don't. They are not the best pistol made unless you believe it to be true. Personally I see them like I do that ugly girl at a bar at 2AM. Sure it will get the job done but I wouldn't want my friends to see me with her.
Truth is I'm not a striker fired pistol kind of guy. They seem reasonably accurate and reliable. So if it's your cup of tea then have at it. There's really nothing wrong with them.

Last edited by DrumJunkie; 06-19-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Tackleberry1 Likes This