Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Are glocks models no longer current or absolete?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
AR10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Lincoln Nebraska
Posts: 1,917
Liked 870 Times on 578 Posts
Likes Given: 220

Default

No mud thrown in this post towards the OP, however, the jist if this post would make great entertainment. Like tossing a lit firecracker into a fireworks factory.

To suggest the OP has a valid question, and wants real opinions to help a spending decision is a stretch.

__________________
AR10 is offline  
DrFootball Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 04:54 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,078
Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by north1020 View Post
I'm about to buy a glock 19 yesterday but my friend told me not to buy because glocks are fallen into disuse, outmoded type, old fashioned and it cracks so easily. Please advise! Thanks guys!
He's screwing with you...right?
I'll be the first to admit that I'm no Glock Fanboy. I prefer the XD. I'd probably look at the M&P as well, before I went to Glock. I find Glocks to be ergonomically challenged and overpriced if you aren't getting a LEO discount.
Disuse? No. I have heard that the S&W M&P has been chipping away at market share. To call it disuse is a gross overstatement. Outmoded? No. Other makers have, however, closed the gap. Old Fashioned? Hilarious (I'm a 1911 guy). Crack? No. Perhaps a sporadic occurrence here and there, not nearly enough to damn the whole brand.
Quote:
My friend is an officer, I immediately back off when he commented negatives about glock. That is why I posted this topic to get more positive opinions. I myself really like glocks but if you are hearing negative it's hard to decide.
Being a LEO does not automatically make one a firearms expert. Not liking Glocks is fine, I'm good with it. But being out & out wrong about them is another thing entirely.
Quote:
Also some friends advices me to get the XD's or HK45C. Are these brands better that glock?
The XD /XDm series are very good. S&W M&P are a direct competitor as well.
H&K is another matter. H&K never really did it for me. They make a good pistol, but IMHO, they are shamelessly overpriced. I shopped the USP, Sig, CZ & Beretta when I was 9 mm shopping, I ended up with a CZ. I would have bought the Sig P226 before I bought the H&K. They want entirely too much money for a plastic pistol. YMMV.
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:26 PM   #23
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
clr8ter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South Central NH
Posts: 2,960
Liked 816 Times on 543 Posts
Likes Given: 497

Default

Quote:
For people that say 40 Glocks are unreliable, PLEASE give me some citations of ANY Glocks that have kaboomed using factory ammo.
Unreliable means lots of things besides a "kaboom". In fact, if it "kabooms", I'm not sure unreliable is the best word to use.....
__________________
clr8ter is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:14 AM   #24
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dearhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Charleston, SC,South Carolina
Posts: 1,153
Liked 840 Times on 403 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Photo says it all

30e33de5-5131-411d-b3e3-bac800901f37-933-00000331e9b29c36.jpg

__________________

JP-USN 20 years retired
Alway keep your six covered

Dearhunter is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 01:13 AM   #25
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Mario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 26
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default

I have never regretted buying a Glock. I've never had one jam, ever. People have put over 100,000 rounds through them. They are the #1 selling LEO pistol in the US.

__________________
Mario is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,078
Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillM View Post
It's just me, and I KNOW it's not rational, but every time I see someone
lauding the virtues of Hk I think of this:

HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.
Posted on October 9, 2007 by correia45
An open letter to the gun community from HK’s marketing department: In a world of compromises, some people put the bullets in the magazine backwards…But it doesn’t matter, because our gun is on the cover of the Rainbow Six video games. Look how cool that SEAL coming out of the water looks… If you buy a $2,000 SOCOM, you will be that cool of an operator too. And chicks will dig you.
At HK, we stuck a piston on an AR15, just like a bunch of other companies have done, dating back to about 1969. However ours is better, because we refuse to sell it to civilians. Because you suck, and we hate you.
Our XM8 is the greatest rifle ever developed. It may melt, and it doesn’t fit any accessories known to man, but that is your fault. If you were a real operator, you would love it. Once again, look at Rainbow Six, that G36 sure is cool isn’t it? Yeah, you know you want one.And by the way, check out our new HK45. We decided that humans don’t need to release the magazine with their thumbs. If you were a really manly teutonic operator, you would be able to reach the controls. Plus we’ve fired 100,000,000 rounds through one with zero malfunctions, and that was while it was buried in a lake of molten lava, on the moon. If you don’t believe us, it is because you aren’t a real operator.
By the way, our cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns like the G3 and MP5 are the bestest things ever, and totally worth asinine scalpers prices, but note that cheap, mass-produced, stamped sheet metal guns from other countries are commie garbage. Not that it matters, because you’re civilians, so we won’t sell them to you anyway. Because you suck, and we hate you, but we know you’ll be back. We can beat you down like a trailer park wife, but you’ll come back, you always do.
Buy our stuff.
Sincerely
HK Marketing Department HK. Because you suck. And we hate you.
There's a follow-on to this out there where the writer goes into detail explaining his opinions. I found it pretty funny as well.

Quote:
I don’t know if you can tell, but I’m not the biggest fan of H und K. I posted that letter on THR a long time ago as a joke, but it sure did manage to tick a lot of people off. Ironically, the tag line, HK. Because you suck. And we hate you, has been popping up in various places ever since.
Sure, they’re decently reliable, decently accurate guns, but they’re massively overpriced and overrated by legions of fan boys. One of the most frustrating things about dealing with gun people on the interweb is that folks tend to pick a brand, and then base some of their self-esteem on that brand. Kind of like rabid sports fans who feel the need to burn cars if their team wins, or loses, or they just felt like burning stuff. Say something negative about that team to one of those rabid fans, and you’re probably going to get beat up. Likewise, if you say anything negative about the Teutonic superiority of HK, people get mad at you.
Well, I love hate mail, so here goes.
For each of their wunder guns, you can get something else that costs a lot less, and works better, and has ergonomics designed by people that actually shoot. HK came about when some Nazis fled to Spain and built the Cetme. But Cetme doesn’t sound very tough, does it? So they went back to Germany and became H and K, and if you call it H and K, fan boys will get mad, and insist that it is HK, because manly Teutonic operators and Navy SEALs don’t have time to say the word "And." So HK rose to prominence by building the G3, which is what the Germans call the Cetme.

it continues...
http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2007/10/09/hk-because-you-suck-and-we-hate-you/
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-08-2013 at 03:36 PM.
Overkill0084 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:06 PM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario View Post
I have never regretted buying a Glock. I've never had one jam, ever. People have put over 100,000 rounds through them. They are the #1 selling LEO pistol in the US.
They are number 1 because they are hundreds of dollars cheaper when purchased for law enforcement. Goverments think more about money then lives. I have fired Glocks that have jammed on me and they were nowhere close to 100,000 rounds. We had to field strip one Glock 17. That would have cost a person their life.
__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill0084 View Post
There's a follow-on to this out there where the writer goes into detail explaining his opinions. I found it pretty funny as well.
I am sorry you guys have had bad experiences with HK. Love to hear your personal bad experiences with the company. I honestly cannot say I have had bad experience with the company since the Hks I have owned never needed to be returned or repaired. Plus, I was never denied any of the guns I wished to purchase from them. Once again, Sorry about how you guys were treated by the company.
__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:49 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Overkill0084's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Weber County, Utah
Posts: 4,078
Liked 2530 Times on 1268 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
I am sorry you guys have had bad experiences with HK. Love to hear your personal bad experiences with the company. I honestly cannot say I have had bad experience with the company since the Hks I have owned never needed to be returned or repaired. Plus, I was never denied any of the guns I wished to purchase from them. Once again, Sorry about how you guys were treated by the company.
Sarcasm?
I just think they are stupidly overpriced. Like buying a Porsche Cayenne configured similarly to the thousands of dollars cheaper VW Tuareg. It's more about brand than function.
Let's be realistic here, they haven't reinvented the wheel by any means, they have simply succeeded in positioning themselves as a "Premium" brand. The only H&K that I found that I was ever close to buying was a used P7. Not because it was super-duper head & shoulders above its peers, but rather because it was unique. However, I just couldn't bring myself to spend big for a used low capacity 9 mm.
Is H&K truly superior to Sig Sauer? How about Beretta? How about the multitude of other proven service weapons in the world? I'm not just talking coolness or brand snobbishness. I'm asking: from a practical standpoint, simply as tools, does the added cost of H&K equipment increase real world capability/sustainability/survivability? Is the guy carrying a Sig or a CZ at a disadvantage to the guy with a USP?
__________________
Cheers,
Greg
USAF Retired
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 06-08-2013 at 06:52 PM.
Overkill0084 is offline  
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 06:59 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Baretta? Hell yes. I owned a 92, I think HK is a much better gun. Sig Sauer? I do love my P226r. That is my other 1300 dollar gun. Glock? You have got to be kidding me. Materials do not have come close to the HK, which made the original polymer. I love my USP .40. It is an excellent battle pistol. I have explained why in previous posts. It is an excellent gun and I do not know what is going on with the US HK, but they are very respected in Europe. I think you gun is worth the price.

__________________
Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
My Web Site Is No Longer Technologically Current AR10 The Club House 1 05-07-2013 05:26 AM
9mm models for ccw Kdub Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 30 03-13-2013 11:48 PM
Ordered one of the new XDs models. fpdsniper XD Forum 26 04-20-2012 05:09 AM
Everything you want to know about AR 15 models Florida AR-15 Discussion 14 11-29-2008 05:24 PM
different 700 models?? huckleberry General Rifle Discussion 5 12-30-2007 03:27 PM