Glock or Walther P99?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > Semi-Auto Handguns > Glock or Walther P99?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2008, 08:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Glock or Walther P99?

i've gained interest in these two handguns but don't know which one to get...
pros and cons for both? (performance, appearance etc.)
which would you pick in the end?
thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #2

I've had bad experiences with Walther since Smith and Wesson bought them. Of the 2, I'd go Glock for sure.

Old 07-11-2008, 11:38 PM   #3

Default Walther

Wasn't aware S&W "bought" Walther. I just thought S&W was their importer and had license to manufacture some of their designs. (e.g. PPK)

The Walther P99 is made by Walther in Germany. Not to be confused with the S&W 99.

Here's the deal: A P99AS is a true SA/DA striker fired. Think a Browning High Power but without the hammer. The Glock is a DA only. So with the P99AS you get a true SA trigger but for safety you can decock it yet still have the DA mode available to bring it into play quickly. You can reactivate the SA mode by just pulling back on the slide a fraction of an inch.

I like mine in .40 S&W caliber. I've retired my Colt 1911 to the safe.

Check out the Waltherforums for more info.

Alf

Old 07-12-2008, 03:30 AM   #4

I've had very bad experience with the P99. Id go with a Glock. Even though i don't particularly like em.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:17 PM   #5

Call it what you'd like. I had s#@!!y service from Smith and Wesson.

Old 07-12-2008, 02:20 PM   #6

Look, if you don't already own a Glock then you should. The Glock is simplicity, itself! You can keep it running forever without the services of a professional gunsmith. Most of them are utterly reliable; and, there are hundreds of: options, accessories, and aftermarket parts available for Glock pistols that will allow you to customize your Glock into a very special pistol for you! Go ahead and indulge your curiosity for other pistols AFTER you own a Glock - But, not before!

Old 07-12-2008, 03:46 PM   #7

Having used S&W, Glock, and Colt in my years of law enforcement, I have developed an opinion on each. S&W does not have the quality of workmanship they used to have; Glock is a good all-around gun, but I haven't been impressed with "plastic" guns since I carried an M-16 in Nam; Colt is my favorite, probably because of the workmanship, as well as the history. You get what you pay for. (one of my favorite jokes: Isn't "Glock" the sound it makes when you drop it on the concrete?)

Old 07-13-2008, 02:49 PM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Whole heartedly disagree with U guys. I have owned all 4 Glock 9mm models. I finally got rid of my Glock 34 a year and a half ago. I love my P99 so much, and the Glock trigger sucks compared to the P99.

Also - go talk to P99 owners - they all love the gun.

Be aware that there are 3 different trigger variations. The A/S model is the one everyone wants. It is DA/SA, but it also has a 3rd option to set it at the SA pull, with the length of the DA. This is optional, however, and U need not use this if you do not want to.

My P99 A/S is my all time fav handgun. I also like that the rear and front sights are completely user adjustable. No need to see a smith to alter your sights. U can also install your own night sights.

Be aware that S&W does NOT own Walther. They simply import the P99 into the USA for Walther. And, as US law requires the importers name to be on the gun, that is why "S&W" is on 1 side of the slide.

Now, S&W makes a clone of the P99 - but the SW99 has been discontinued, and I believe the SW990L (another trigger variation) has been or is about to be discontinued as well.

Now, S&W DOES make the PPKs for Walther now. But, that is an entirely different gun. The P99 is made in Germany.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:26 AM   #9

Wholeheartedly disagree! Now, I don't know about that? Disagree, OK! Sure, I can understand that; but, wholehearted disagreement is, completely, another story!

Old 07-14-2008, 11:18 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G21.45 View Post
Wholeheartedly disagree! Now, I don't know about that? Disagree, OK! Sure, I can understand that; but, wholehearted disagreement is, completely, another story!
Sorry - that's my story and I'm sticking to it

I am Glock free now, and will never buy another again